New expat in Cuernavaca

Hello,
My wife and I just moved to Cuernavaca after living in Boquete, Panama for six months. I have written extensively of my experiences traveling and living in Latin America since retiring over a year ago. If you are interested, you can find my blog at  globalexplorerclub.wordpress.com which I also post here on the expat-blog.

We are just getting our feet on the ground. I am told there is a significant number of expats in Cuernavaca. I would be interested to know if and when they meet.

Mike and Florence

Hello Mike and Florence.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Aurélie

Hello Mike
I am steve from london and have lived in df for seven and a half years

If you come to the city let me know as would love to meet with you

Steve

Hi Steve,
Our stay in Mexico is coming to an end this weekend. We will be in Mexico City on Saturday, May 25. I know this is short notice, but we would certainly enjoy meeting you if you want to get together.

Thanks,
Mike

Hi, I am also located in Cuernavaca. I just got here 2 weeks ago after spending 2 years in Seattle, WA. I believe the expat group get together around 2 p.m. on Fridays at Los Arcos restaurant in downtown. I haven't joined in a while, but if you decide to go ask for Darrell.

I know it is an oerused topic.   But I am concerned about safety. Is this a safe city?

I have read about kidnapping in MOrelos.  Is this an issue?  Can anyone help me.

Thank you.

Well, I guess it's relative. I don't live in that area, but looking at the Mexican crime map, I see it is the area in the state of Morelos that has more crime than the rest of the state. Yet putting that in perspective a rate of 135 is pretty mild next to the Memphis 2011 rate of 786.9. If you want to feel safer , you might want to move to a  distant suburb of the city where the crime rate is zero like Jonacatepec or Ocituco.

Thank you for your response.
--I agree.  Memphis is a very dangerous town. There are parts of Memphis that I will not go...anytime.
--Where did you get those numbers?   It sounds very official.  It must be posted somewhere.  These are some type f crime statistics.  Can I look up other cities?  In Mexico?  In Panama?  In Costa Rica.

Thank you again.  It was very informtive.

Here is their active crime map. They lump all under homicides. The hot areas are where drug issues cause crime. It should give you some ideas about where it is less risky. Over all I feel it's much less dangerous than America.

stanford.edu/~dkronick/mexico_crime/

Another site that will give you a lot of information is Yucatan living. It's an on line magazine.

Good luck and bienvenidos

Hello, thank you for posting. I am contemplating retiring in Cuernavaca in a year or so and would LOVE to blog with other expats who live there. As a matter of fact I am hoping to make a trip there in the next week or so to begin to familiarize myself with how it looks, smells, feels to me. I'm excited about it. Ideally I would like to meet people on this site then, hopefully, meet them in person when I arrive. Don't know if this would be possible, but am hoping it is.  Can you please advise?!

Hello, I am planning to retire in Cuernavaca in about a year. I am going to see the city next week and if possible would love to meet you guys for coffee or something. I am going with another friend. Can you please leave some info as to how to contact you once we get there. Thank you so much!.

We've been living in Cuernavaca for 10 years now and we love it. I invite you to my new blog

livingincuernavaca.wordpress.com/

Good luck with your move, you're going to love it here.

Cuernavaca is a great place to retire. As of crime rates, as everywhere else, if you're careful you won't have any problems. We've lived here for 10 years and never had any incidents.
As for a place to live, try to look for a gated neighborhood in central locations (Vista Hermosa, Delicias, Lomas de Vista Hermosa) where you don't have to drive to not so nice neighborhoods to get to your home.
You'll love it here, the food is great and the weather uncompareable.
Welcome.

Hi everyone,
I'll be arriving to Cuernavaca in Mid June and will be staying there for six weeks on vacation.  I was wondering if there is a standard place and time that expats get together.  In five years, which I realize is a long ways away, we will be able to receive our pensions and are planning on moving there for good.  We will be staying with my partner's mother in La Colonia de Delicias. I'd just like to talk about things like medical costs, doctors, hospitals, insurance etc.  I've been to Cuernavaca several times and have made friends with a lot of the neighbors in Delicias, But  I'd still like to hear stories from Expats.

Hi! My Mexican wife, Laura, and I (Bill) are moving to Cuernavaca the 20th of July, 2015. We've rented a house for a year, and are looking to make new friends. We also hope that there are residents of Cuernavaca that can help us with advice, tips,etc concerning life in Cuernavaca.
Hope to make new friends soon!
Bill & Laura

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : For security measures, please avoid sharing personal contact infos on a public forum

Bill...we've been considering Ajijic and San Miguel but lately Cuernevaca seems like it might be a better fit. Looking forward to hearing more of your experience there. We're planning on listing our house this Fall and then we'll be wide open to all possibilities.

We like the location near, but not too near, to Mexico City, where daughters of my wife live. The weather is pleasant, but somewhat warm, a little more like "Eternal Summer" than "Eternal Spring." We also weren't looking to live in an American or Canadian environment and only associate and speak with English speaking people. We both speak Spanish. We certainly don't have anything against Americans or Canadians, but are looking for a more Mexican/multi-cultural environment. You can easily go to Mexico City for the day in a luxury bus, which leaves every 15 minutes from and to Cuernavaca for $11 U.S. each way, or half that price with your INAPAM card for people over 60.

I'm living in DF and its time to move on.  Cuernevaca looks like a very good possibility to be with Norte Americanos in Mexico.  I was wondering if there is a place where y'all hang out so I can come and say hello and meet with enough of you to get a sense of the heartbeat of the ex-pat community.

Thanks!

Hi Steve!

I'm Len and have lived in MX for 9 years and DF for 3 months. Just broke up with the girl who I came here for and am kind of lost when it comes to meeting expats here.  Any suggestions?

So sorry for intruding but I am looking into Cuernavaca (I ampresently in Mexico City) and was wondering if you knew where and when the expats met so I can perhaps join them and get some information.

Thanks so much,
Len

I know you are not expecting this since your post is over a year old but Now I'm in your position!  I am contemplating moving to Cuernacava and wondering how you feel after being there?

I'm Len and thanks (if you ever get this).

Len - Cuernavaca is a nice, but not exciting place to live. It's not a very attractive downtown, with all the potholed, narrow, and congested streets. I live in the north, supposedly less warm, suburban area of Cuernavaca near the more supposedly "upscale" streets of Rio Mayo and San Diego. It's a very nice upscale neighborhood called San Jeronimo de Ahuatepec with about 300 nice houses and 24 hr security. It's safe and attractive, with nice neighbors, little neighborhood parks. It's less than 15 min from just about anything. The climate is generally nice, but, to me, seems more like "Eternal Summer" than "Eternal Spring." The Galerias mall is very nice and modern with a good Cinepolis movie theatre just 10 min away.

The expats here are a bit older and not terribly active.

There is an active yahoo group with resources you will want to access . Search on Cuernavaca in yahoo groups and  check out cuernads.

Also check out Tepoz, I live here and there is a younger group of expats. Beautiful area!

Good luck! I am happy to meet with you as well.

Wendy