Presidential election

Stop by the office of the FCC (Foreign Correspondents Club) in HK some day and run that scenario by them.  Be sure to read the list of reporters killed while covering stories, which is on the wall in their bar.

I'm not trying to touch a nerve on the reporter issue, but I'd vote for saving children from harm over saving a reporter any day.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

I'm not trying to touch a nerve on the reporter issue, but I'd vote for saving children from harm over saving a reporter any day.

I agree with you

Sadly, there are too few flak jackets to hand to all the kids, so the best we can manage is reporters telling the world what they see, hopefully getting the war stopped.
Sadly, there is an oversupply of vicious bastards who are happy to kill kids.

mas fred wrote:

Sadly, there are too few flak jackets to hand to all the kids, so the best we can manage is reporters telling the world what they see, hopefully getting the war stopped.

I'd agree with that completely if there was anything close to objective reporting around here.  I don't know about the news there, but here the days of telling the news without editorial comments are over.  CNN particularly takes a side in absolutely every single conflict.

"CNN particularly takes a side in absolutely every single conflict."

That's an odd thing about reporters in war zones...they tend to learn right from wrong and take sides pretty quickly. ;)

Then why do they change their minds every week in Syria?

"Then why do they change their minds every week in Syria?"

I don't know.  I haven't paid much attention to events in Syria once I broke the story that Ann Coulter of Fox News is actually Assad's sister:

http://www.homeinbali.com/forum/uploads … 188911.jpg

She probably doesn't even know whose side she's supposed to be on in Syria anymore.

Ubudian wrote:

"Then why do they change their minds every week in Syria?"

I don't know.  I haven't paid much attention to events in Syria once I broke the story that Ann Coulter of Fox News is actually Assad's sister:

http://www.homeinbali.com/forum/uploads … 188911.jpg

The blonde was born in New York. I suppose he could have been one of her lovers. :D

You're up too early.  :D

Check their photos again Fred...their necks in particular.

It's just a joke.

Back to the topic in question.
The holiday is almost over, and things are afoot.

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/jok … -partners/

President-elect Joko Widodo extended a plea on Tuesday to the political parties under Prabowo Subiantos coalition to part ways with the defeated presidential candidate and join the government.

I open the opportunity for the political parties [in the Merah Putih coalition] to join Indonesias government, Joko said at his office in Central Jakarta.

The parties in the Merah Putih coalition include the Great Indonesia Movement (Gerindra) Party, Golkar, the United Development Party (PPP), the National Mandate Party (PAN), the Democratic Party and the Prosperous Justice Party (PKS).

I believe Joko is making the right move here as, if it works out,it'll remove the legitimacy for any potential revolution and bring the country together.

Jokowi is well aware of the time proven adage, "keep your friends close, and your enemies closer."  :top:

http://en.tempo.co/read/news/2014/08/01 … ost-Voters

TEMPO.CO, Makassar - Prabowo Subianto-Hatta Rajasa team said that suspicions on the presence of ghost voters in the additional special voter lists (DPKTb) in South Sulawesi was one of the reasons for challenging the presidential election results to the Constitutional Court. Ahmad Baskam, coordinator of the Red and White Coalition in South Sulawesi, said that evidence suggested that 85,000 ghost voters had been submitted to the team of election result dispute (PHPU) on July 21, 2014.

This seems less likely.
The polling stations were at village level, where everyone knows everyone else.
The election officials had lists of residents, and the residents had to produce their KTP (ID card) before they were given a voting form.
To create ghost voters would require cooperation between all the officials, including the observers.
I visited ten station, seeing one man try to vote at the wrong one, but being turned away because his ID card wasn't valid for that station.
As I understand it, he'd moved house but hadn't updated his card, so he had to go to another station just down the road.
All the stations I visited were just as careful.
Big city polling stations may well have been less personal, but the lists and KTP must have been there, making it very hard to cheat,

If one's heart is full of hatred they will not think clearly,everything seem to be wrong they find every unreasonable fact.. !! Poor old man called himself as statesman,a general , the man of the peoples or whatever but acted like a child

Fred, I totally concur with your post describing the care taken at elections here.  What you experienced is exactly what my experiences have been for many years, as I've always found it fascinating to go to the voting poll with my wife. 

Back in 2004 I decided to photo document the whole process at the voting station in our village set up at our elementary school.  These are just a few photos from that day:

http://www.homeinbali.com/forum/uploads … _25193.jpg

Over the past couple of weeks I've been periodically talking with some locals who had in fact voted for Prabowo.  Their reasons for voting for Prabowo were similar...they wanted a strong man as President, and they had reservations and fears that Jokowi could just be a "wayang kulit" (puppet) of the PDI-P and Ibu Mega.  That aside, they all agreed on one thing...Prabowo lost and he should man up and take the defeat with grace and dignity.

Your photos are very similar to mine.
We seem to agree, it would be very hard to sneak so many 'ghosts' to vote without alarm bells ringing in the polling station.

We totally agree, and moreover, I think it would be more like Mission Impossible regarding these "ghost votes." 

Moreover, given the gap by percentage of votes won by Jokowi, how many votes would have to be proven as fraudulent?  Isn't the number somewhere around 3.5 million votes?

Moreover, aside from one small region in the very north east sector of Sulawesi, that Province was all going for Jokowi. 

Prabowo might be dwelling too much on the Bush/Gore election where Bush was initially shown as winning by less than a few thousand votes...and even that turned out to a Bush victory (no pun intended Hailey  :o).

This is a total waste of time, and I have to admit, somewhat of an embarrassment for Indonesia. 

We have a lot of work to do here, and it's high time we roll up our sleeves and show the world the stuff that this great country is made of.  That's my two cents, anyway.

The Jakarta post has come out as more than a little biased in this affair, so we must be careful not to assume they're 100% correct until we know from other sources.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2014 … gging.html

While struggling to amend errors in documents supporting a challenge to presidential election results at the Constitutional Court, the campaign team for the Gerindra Partys presidential candidate, Prabowo Subianto, has claimed that it has found more evidence of election fraud in the July 9 poll....
...We are asking this case to include 210,000 polling stations that relate to 50 million voters, he (Andre Rosiade) told The Jakarta Post,....
.....After flaws were found in the lawsuit, the court gave the Prabowo side until Aug. 6, when the first hearing is to be held, for corrections to be made.
The team instead used the extra time to claim more cases of fraud, which might be considered unacceptable by the panel of judges.
The new cases have not as yet been reported to the court.

Did you see the attempt to ask a question that a Jakarta Post reporter made at a Prabowo news conference a week or maybe a bit more ago?    ;)

Yep....he did not wanna speak to Jakarta Post at all.

Ubudian wrote:

Did you see the attempt to ask a question that a Jakarta Post reporter made at a Prabowo news conference a week or maybe a bit more ago?    ;)

Yes, he made himself look stupid, and aggressive.

This makes him look worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mXLZ9SQRw4

Isn't anyone on Prabowo's side?  When they very briefly mentioned the election around here, everyone said he was going to win easily.  Surely someone must like him.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

Isn't anyone on Prabowo's side?  When they very briefly mentioned the election around here, everyone said he was going to win easily.  Surely someone must like him.

I have yet to meet an expat who likes him, mostly because he's bad news for expats.
I have met locals who prefer him, but they've all shut up and gone sheepish.

Expats don't count.  They're all a bunch of foreigners.

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/pra … sion-gate/

The supporters locked the entrance gate of the KPU and called for its commissioners to be jailed.....saying that chairman received
US$ 2.1 million in kickbacks.

From that link.

revolution until victory

It's getting dangerous now.
These remarks suggest expats have to be extremely careful.
Not time to pack a bag yet, but ears to the ground.

I think not only expats however we all need to watch out and better follow the news in the media

Locals may well have problems as well, but the "foreigners and communists" bit suggests we and those of Chinese ancestry may have the greatest difficulties.
Once you set up "enemies", you open the floodgates for the nut case element.

Just been to a pro Prabowo demo outside the court.
One fool was ranting on about how foreigners are to blame for everything.
Very dangerous stuff.
Video as soon as I can get the translation dubbed on to it.

Wow....thanks the info.

Where there a lot of them??

happyhour wrote:

Wow....thanks the info.

Where there a lot of them??

Not very many people, and most looked like SMA or collage kids.
I'm betting, but can't be sure, they got Rp50,000 each for turning up.

There were two demos, both about the same size, and both vastly outnumbered by armed police, not to mention the press.
Loads of camera crews and reporters around - I have video of a lot of them as well.

The upshot of the lot is, the speakers were ranting on about how foreigner capitalists are stealing Indonesian's money.
And there was I thinking they didn't like communists.
I'll try to dub that video tomorrow and get it posted, but you may see at least some of it on various TV channels, including Bloomberg.

Will try to catch something on the TV later on, perhaps tomorrow much more people will show up not yet thinking about the turn out the days after till the court will announce the final news.

As with most idiotic racists/bogots, they have to tell half the truth and plain lie to get their point of view to make sense. This fool does nothing to make me recant my opinion.
Sorry I haven't done a translation, but he's ranting on about foreigners controlling Indonesia's businesses and how foreigners take all the cash.
He neglected to mention how many jobs would go if he got his stupid way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUKHHejC … e=youtu.be

Quite what he'd do with the evil foreigners, he didn't bother to make clear.

There were 2 demos, this was the crowd at one of them. The other was about the same.
As you'll see, the majority were just kids, most showing no interest at all in the speakers, or what they were saying.
At one point in the second demo, the avid political activists were smoking at the side of the road, only bothering to move when they got shouted at.
I still tend to think they were just paid whoever, told to turn up on the promise of a bit of cash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEpt1L0x … e=youtu.be

Well, after the demi Nazi of yesterday's rubbish, it makes me wonder how someone can be that stupid. His speech was directly out of 1930s Germany, but he kept ranting on about 'foreigners' instead of Jews.
Really, do those fools ever look at history?

We have more news.

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/cou … ote-fraud/

Jakarta. The team of losing presidential candidate Prabowo Subianto says it will dispatch thousands of supporters in Jakarta to the Constitutional Court, which begins today the trial of a legal challenge against the official presidential election result that showed Joko Widodo as the winning candidate.

Volunteers, sympathizers and politicians from our coalition members will stage a moral movement. God willing, around 30,000 to 50,000 of them will be present at MK [the Constitutional Court], Andre Rosaide, a member of the campaign team of Prabowo and his vice presidential candidate Hatta Rajasa, said in Jakarta on Tuesday.

Another team member, M. Taufik, said the crowd would be there to guard the first hearing of the case.

That pillock wants an army to turn up.
One hopes his prayer isn't answered, I seriously don't see 30,000 people being that stupid.

However, even a few hundred thugs is an invitation for serious violence so I hope the police are well armed and suffer no injuries in the event of this idiocy getting out of hand.

I can not imagine that 30-50k people will be present at MK today but as you said correctly even just a few hundreds of them can start violence and if so there is a big chance that more supporters joining in a short period of time.

On the other hand what makes him so confident saying that 30-50k people will be present ??  Sounds they may do have "preparations" ongoing.....

I felt disgraced to heard such stupid act !!! Why they don't just think positively rather than waste the money to gathers peoples to do nothing.... !!!!

To get that many, they'll have to empty ever SMP  and SMA in Jakarta, if yesterday's "activists" were anything to go by.

One thing that does strike me, Prabowo is an ex general, so I really don't expect his people to be doing things unless he tells them to do whatever.
That and his BS is pretty much what Surharto said to get hold of power.

As for ready, he's been courting extremists of various types, so I'll bet he is.

Bidara sary wrote:

I felt disgraced to heard such stupid act !!! Why they don't just think positively rather than waste the money to gathers peoples to do nothing.... !!!!

Cash and power.
Any other questions?