Presidential election

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

Is this guy just a sore loser or is trouble in the works?  CNN recently implied that the coup is imminent.

One hopes not, but some would want it.
One especially prominent politician has been hanging around with militant Islamic groups, known for violent attacks against whoever, either for religious reasons, or cold, hard cash.
I suspect that person may be trying to build an army.
The extreme groups concerned have been very closely associated with terrorist attacks.
This still has the chance to turn messy.

At least if a civil war breaks out, there won't be as much tourist trash on Bali.

So all tourists on Bali are trash??

A fair of them are. Its the Australian Magalouf. Possibly spelt horribly wrong

Before a moderator gets too confused:  https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=351319

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/leg … ote-count/

Jakarta. Presidential hopeful Prabowo Subianto upstaged Tuesday nights announcement confirming his defeat in the election earlier this month by declaring his rejection of the official outcome on the basis of alleged fraud, in a move that poses an unusual precedent for constitutional law.

Conspicuously absent were his running mate, Hatta Rajasa, and campaign manager, Mahfud M.D., the former Constitutional Court chief justice.

Mahfuds replacement is Yunus Yosfiah, a former Army Special Forces (Kopassus) officer who was previously accused of involvement in the militarys killing of five Australian-based journalists in the East Timor town of Balibo

To see it from the scientific and rational view, with the gap of eight million votes  or six percentage points  even if the case were taken to the Constitutional Court, and even if the court just blindly decided to give [Prabowo] the votes of all unregistered voters, he would not be able to pass the total votes gained by Joko Widodo and Jusuf Kalla, Haryadi, a political expert from Surabayas Airlangga University, told the Globe.

Apologies for the long quote, just to save clicking the lilnk.

The upshot is - even if Prabowo wins a court case, he still can't get enough votes.
The next bit is more of a worry.

There were also calls from members of his team for Yudhoyono to remain in office for an extra year to allow a new election to be called.

Nut jobs are demanding SBY remain in office illegally, and a new election held in a year.
It's not the legally impossible request that worries me, it's the display of stupidity and desperation.

I am now seriously concerned at the possibility of a coup attempt.
We have very dangerous people, courting a very dangerous force (closely associated with terrorist groups), refusing to accept the results of an election.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

At least if a civil war breaks out, there won't be as much tourist trash on Bali.

Trash or otherwise, Indonesia's tourist industry is gone for a very long time.
As with all coups, it's cash and power for the elite, and stuff the rest.

Other things are afoot.
http://en.tempo.co/read/news/2014/07/22 … al-Budiman

Head of Information for the Indonesian National Army (TNI) Headquarter, Major General Fuad Basya, denies the rumor about the removal of Army Chief of Staff General Budiman by President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono (SBY).  Mr. Budiman is not removed, Fuad told reporters

Confusion at the top of the army isn't something Indonesia needs at the moment.

More on our HK expert's line.

http://en.tempo.co/read/news/2014/07/22 … -Statement

Rupiah is facing a major turnout following Prabowo Subianto's statement on rejecting the result of the presidential election. The increasing political tension has driven investors to give up their Rupiah denominated assets.

http://en.tempo.co/read/news/2014/07/22 … -Statement

Prabowo Subiantos statement rejecting the presidential election process has resulted in profit-taking actions among market makers. As a consequence, the Indonesian Composite Index (IHSG) slumped by 1.5 percent.

Prabowo needs to end this now, if he cares about Indonesia.

Gosh, Prabowo is telling world leaders not to congratulate Jokowi.

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/pra … ts-jokowi/

Jakarta. The campaign team of Prabowo Subianto has called on the international community to withhold congratulatory statements to president-elect Joko Widodo until the losing presidential candidate has resolved accusations of electoral fraud in the Constitutional Court.

They've now confirmed they're going to challenge the vote.

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/pra … nal-court/

Jakarta. The ex-general who lost Indonesias closely-fought presidential election will challenge the results in the Constitutional Court, a spokesman said Wednesday, after his team alleged the winner, Joko Widodo, engaged in massive vote fraud.

As I understand it, the majority of the fraud was in Prabowo's favour and, even if all the disputed votes were given to him, he's still short of a win.

Seems a lot pointless.

"Gosh, Prabowo is telling world leaders not to congratulate Jokowi."

Obviously, thats falling on deaf ears:

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/asia/s … i-20140723

Ubudian wrote:

"Gosh, Prabowo is telling world leaders not to congratulate Jokowi."

Obviously, thats falling on deaf ears:

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/asia/s … i-20140723

Seen it - I have to say, he's making himself look very silly.

Political means?

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/sec … on-result/http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/red … al-result/

The Prabowo camp is sounding more and more desperate, leaving Indonesia hanging.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2014 … ugust.html

Prabowo has taken it to court.

The Constitutional Court (MK) will begin hearings on Aug. 6 on the lawsuit filed by Prabowo Subiantos and Hatta Rajasas team of lawyers against the General Elections Commissions (KPU) final vote tally of the presidential elections.

http://www.rappler.com/world/regions/as … A+rappler+(Rappler)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/ … TC20140724

And just how bitter the coming years will be may come down to the personal relationship between Prabowo and the man who beat him, said Aryo Djojohadikusumo, another incoming legislator from the family, and Prabowo's nephew.

"It's up to Jokowi if he wants to uphold his own promise of reconciliation," he said. "If Jokowi decides to embrace Prabowo as an elder statesman in the running of the country, then Prabowo will accept that."

Pay him off to shut up?

According to JakartaGlobe, "he" said having almost 1 million documents and 52,000 witnesses supporting his case....

happyhour wrote:

According to JakartaGlobe, "he" said having almost 1 million documents and 52,000 witnesses supporting his case....

That lot will take a very long time to sort out.
It's a clear delaying tactic, designed to stop Jokowi entering his new job.

We will have to wait until 22 or 23 August when the court make their final decision if I am not wrong.

Another one more month to follow closely, never know what else may come up

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/pra … nal-court/

That's the link by the way....

happyhour wrote:

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/prabowo-challenges-election-result-constitutional-court/

That's the link by the way....

Yep, I read it earlier.
Did you notice this bit?

Supporters outside the court held banners demanding a revote and vowing revolution if his challenge fails.

We wont let this country be led by the other camp. They will allow foreign intervention and communism, one protestor shouted to supporters, echoing comments made by Prabowo and his spokesmen during the campaign period.

This is extremely dangerous.
If the court fails to give away the election, they've go for armed conflict.
So much for wanting the best for Indonesia.

Of course I read this one also...that statement is very clear and everybody need to be alerted.

As I said earlier, now they have enough time for plan "B", preparing things we all hope will not happening.

Up to date it's surprisingly quiet...what is unusual actually

I don't really have a plan B at this point.
If a coup looks very likely, I suppose I'd have to skip to HK or Malaysia.
A last resort would be the UK.

It would be a great pity if power mad idiots took over this wonderful country.
These fools would put it back to a dictatorship, destroying what Indonesians have worked so hard for.

So far I also have no plan B but it might be good at least having a flight booking.

Same I did 98 and was able to get one of the last flights departing Jakarta to Singapore.

I would say that this is all making Indonesia look bad to the rest of the world, but most of the international media aren't paying any attention.

Now if a plane crashes in Indonesia, there might be some notice.

Hailey,

Ever since Atika Schubert, CNN correspondent and producer was transferred out of Jakarta not long after the first Bali bombing, there hasnt been a replacement who has nearly the insight and understanding of Indonesia as Ms. Schubert.

IMHO, the idea of a military coup now is nothing but tabloid fear mongering. 

Any coup now would have to be against our current President, SBY, and the loyalty of the military to him is about as unquestionable as the loyalty of the US military to President Obama.

And Tom, the preparations and action you took in 1998 during the devastating financial crisis cannot be even remotely compared to present day Indonesia.

Doesn't Prabowo own a farm? Perhaps the geniuses at the Jakarta post and globe .misunderstood the term coup. Perhaps he is buying a new chicken coup. 4 legs bad, 2 legs good.

Ubudian wrote:

Hailey,

Ever since Atika Schubert, CNN correspondent and producer was transferred out of Jakarta not long after the first Bali bombing, there hasnt been a replacement who has nearly the insight and understanding of Indonesia as Ms. Schubert.

IMHO, the idea of a military coup now is nothing but tabloid fear mongering. 

Any coup now would have to be against our current President, SBY, and the loyalty of the military to him is about as unquestionable as the loyalty of the US military to President Obama.

And Tom, the preparations and action you took in 1998 during the devastating financial crisis cannot be even remotely compared to present day Indonesia.

Hi Roy,

Just to info you....i am out of here in the forum. I do not understand the mods, how they try to keep the forum alive. I did always appreciate your great feedback and professional advise but for me it's useless following the comments from the mods who are not living in Indonesia and trying to tell me what is wrong and right.

lukereg wrote:

Doesn't Prabowo own a farm? Perhaps the geniuses at the Jakarta post and globe .misunderstood the term coup. Perhaps he is buying a new chicken coup. 4 legs bad, 2 legs good.

On the subject of Mr. O's rather nice work of demi fiction:
That camp, who are likely to attack camp people, are just as dangerous as Napoleon, who, inspired by Old Major Harto (maybe the rank is wrong, but a little licence is needed to keep the parallels running), may well employ a lot of Squealers to keep thoughts "in line with the state".
Perhaps Jokowi should play safe, and take Pinkeye on to taste his food.

As with all such situations, there are very likely to be dogs in play, there to take apart any seems to be against the state, and, being Fred, I must make mention of the sheep.
Whilst they're always useless fools, they're essential to every political madman, as they spout the official line, even without understanding it.

The sheep may well be the key in this situation as, unlike most political naughtiness, there seems to be an almost total absence of them at this point - a great pity for an "entertainment" point of view, but it could be the difference between political stability and revolution.
The dogs have teeth, but their masters need to appear popular before anyone lets them off the lead, and that's missing at this point.

An apology to those that have never read the book; you won't have understood a ruddy word of the above rubbish.

MOD ALERT

This topic is hopefully going to remain calm, without internal argument, and useful to those of us living here (expats and Indonesians).
There is a potential for political violence, maybe even a coup, and we MUST be up to date with events.

Apologies for the bold red, but I wanted this post to stand out.

What is exactly happening in my beloved country????

Bidara sary wrote:

What is exactly happening in my beloved country????

Basically, there's been an election, but one party is refusing to accept the vote count.
Some of his supporters are demanding revolution, citing foreigners and communists as the 'enemy'.
These people have not been publicly rebuked by the party leadership, nor have their demands been denied by the same.

I'm hoping it's all bluster and BS, but we have to keep an ear to the ground.

I may not be Indonesian at this point, but I love the place as much as any local, and I want to see this country be the best it can be - A revolution won't help at all.

God bless our country!! there is saying " yang Benar pasti menang"

Ubudian wrote:

That's just crazy.  Isn't the fourth estate supposed to go into war zones?  Don't journalists pride themselves on reporting their stories in helmets and body armor?

mas fred wrote:

Apologies for the bold red, but I wanted this post to stand out.

I had to go back and read it since I automatically ignore anything in bold red.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:
Ubudian wrote:

That's just crazy.  Isn't the fourth estate supposed to go into war zones?  Don't journalists pride themselves on reporting their stories in helmets and body armor?

Rightly or wrongly, Americans are commonly in far greater  danger than many other nationalities.
There may well have been a threat that left that reporter in greater danger than the others.
I have to applaud reporters in general; many of their people go into extremely dangerous situations, many never going home, to inform the world of what's happening.
This BBC site offers downloads of an exceptional series of programs.
They give insight and background to many world news stories, from an angle you never see on the news.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/fooc
I very strongly recommend downloading a few.

"That's just crazy.  Isn't the fourth estate supposed to go into war zones?  Don't journalists pride themselves on reporting their stories in helmets and body armor?"

Hailey, a reporter's insight and knowledge of a country they report on isn't gained by wearing helmets and body armor.

My comments about Atika were based on her excellent knowledge, insight and understanding of this incredibly complex and diverse country.

Roy, take a look at my link, you'll probably love it because the reports show the insight you seem to love.
I often download episodes to play in the car, or in a quiet moment at home.
You get a whole new idea of the news stories you see in the press.

The BBC...where journalism is still an honored profession. 

Al Jazzera is also excellent, and becoming more and more like the BBC with many interesting and in depth stories honestly covered.

mas fred wrote:

Rightly or wrongly, Americans are commonly in far greater  danger than many other nationalities.
There may well have been a threat that left that reporter in greater danger than the others.

Is Atika Schubert American?  Would terrorist/insurgent/rebel/freedom fighters know?

HaileyinHongKong wrote:
mas fred wrote:

Is Atika Schubert American?  Would terrorist/insurgent/rebel/freedom fighters know?

They probably wouldn't care, as long as they killed someone.
That's extremists for you.

Ubudian wrote:

Hailey, a reporter's insight and knowledge of a country they report on isn't gained by wearing helmets and body armor.

My comments about Atika were based on her excellent knowledge, insight and understanding of this incredibly complex and diverse country.

I don't know that reporter, but a lot of them wear the body armor purely for image.  There was some reporter, probably from CNN, in some war zone or another wearing all the kevlar and headgear while he was surrounded by children.  It looked stupid to me.  If that was really an unsafe area, he should have given the armor to the children.  Instead of making him look like a badass journalist, it made him look like a jerk.