Moving to Japan. . . Advice?

Hello, this is my first post here at expats. . .

I have always had a strong interest in Japanese culture but since I moved to England at age 15, this interest has been put on hold to come to grips with English culture.

Now, nearly 10 years later, I am tiring of England.  I am about to start a degree in music here, and upon finishing, I want to relocate either back to America or ideally to Japan, somewhere, preferably in or around the Tokyo area.

I will be a very qualified musician when I finish this course, with a degree and multiple diplomas in music/music practice.  In the meantime, starting to learn a language like Japanese can be done - I've got 3 years (which I hear is the minimum) - but I was curious of the realities of life in Japan?

How has the credit crunch affected the Japanese economy and how difficult is it to secure a job, considering my music qualifications and lack of Japanese?  How much is a) a single bedroom apartment in Tokyo, and b) a single apartment in a suburb just outside Tokyo?

What are Japanese politics like?  Left-wing?  Right-wing?

What's the quality of life like?  Crime-rates?  Taxes?  Is living in Tokyo as expensive/more expensive than living in London?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers!

I can highly recommend Japan as a place to live. The Japanese economy is still in the recession stage but there are still plenty of jobs available for foreigners who want to live and work in Japan. The quality of life is one of the highest in the world with little or no crime and low tax rates. Rents can be high in the bigger cities but more than reasonable in the outer suburbs/country.

Why do HIGHLY recommend living in Japan?

Dear thearabianmage,

I am living now for more than 8 years in Tokyo. I feel very much at home and happy. You are asking many questions, so I hope to give you some quick feedback.

crime: none, or very low
living cost: similar to Switzerland, rent comparable to major cities around the world
Japanese: unless you want to work as English teacher, make sure you can at least communicate in Japanese. Finding a job can be a challenge in Japan.
Politics: hmmm, what shall I say. Most Japanese have given up on politics in Japan

Overall what I recommend you: Spend at least one week in Japan to get an image whether you could live here or not. Plus make sure you have enough savings to start again a new from scratch.

Hey everybody, thanks for your help!  I've still got plenty of time before anything happens, but now that the Conservatives have gotten in office, my days here are numbered!

Until then, yeah, I need to go and check it out (although I'm sure I'll love it) and learn some Japanese!

Cheers!  :)

Thank you for useful advices, i also wish to move to Japan. I had the chance to visit Tokyo a few years ago amazing

am so into that too but am arabic and it's not so easy for me any advice ?

what are the job scope in japan?