Mindset Filipino currency

When I go to buy something in Philippines I convert the price to U. S. dollars and start thinking how much I am spending from Amercian mindset not filipino. The problem with this is that I don't get a real  understanding of the cost from Filipino mindset. Example being I would tip someone in the U. S. $5.00 to valet my car. That is average tip. But in Philippines $5.00 is p-44 x$5.00=p 220. In Philippines to Filipino 220 peso would be a lot I think to do valet. Compared to U.S. which is average tip. How do I get the mindset to think like Filipino when it comes to operating with Peso and economy of the Philippines in mind not U.S. A. ?  This way I manage my money correctly from mindset of Country I am in the Philippines. Hope you understand what I am asking.

Start to have Fifteen Thousand pesos in your pocket per month. and try to budget all your expenses on that amount only. then i think you will adopt to economy status of an average filipino.

15k in Manila; 10k in Cebu; 7.5k in other areas.

from your other post -seems ur going to be in bicol region -so should be less exp than manila   ,tipping would depend what services you are getting  and the price comparision between usa/phils   ,i dont know how much it cost to valet a car in usa or phils  or even if it is available most places in phils   ,this link maybe of help   http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g2942 … uette.html

Hi Wayne 07,

Buying a car here is problematic.  There are all the major care dealerships here.  Financing here is large down and fast payoff in a year or two.  When financing a purchase here, forget about your USA credit report and score.  It means nothing here.  They have a bunch of requirements when financing a vehicle.  Requirements for registration is much different also.  If you plan on driving here, be ready to be stopped for no reason for a violation.  Filipinos can get away with most traffic offenses, but foreigners get stuck for them.  The best thing to do is if you have the budget for it, hire a driver to drive for you.  That is really the way to go here when driving.  Buying a home here is problematic also.  Foreigners can not own property or business here.  There has to be a majority Filipino owner when purchasing property or a business.  If you buy a home in your and your wife's name and she dies, then her family gets the home.  A condo is the only house you can own.  The problem there is you are at the mercy of the Filipino land owner.  Stay away from the highrises.  The construction here is nothing like in the USA and the whole country is located in Seismic Zone Four due to the many earthquakes that hit the country every day.

Tipping is not expected here, at least that is what my wife says.  She gets mad when I tip after a dinner out.   Depending of what you are doing a tip here should be 20, 40, 50, 100 pesos.  Dinner out I tip like the USA, 15% or closest to that.  We tip the porters at the airport, train or ferry terminals if they help us with baggage.

Rents here are very varied.  Major cities high rents, tourist areas high rents, medium cities moderate rents, small cities low rents, urban areas very low rents.  Your costs will depend on your lifestyle and how you want to live.  When renting or pricing anything here have your wife look and negotiate the price, before you go in and close the deal.  If you go in, you will pay a premium price for the rental, plus additional deposits which you will never see again.  I photo everything when I rent a place and then when I leave, take another set to show the condition of the place when I leave.  Then there are no questions about what is the condition of the place when you leave. 

Hope this helps, RAC

that is good advice. I will do that if I rent. I will have a driver. But there are times I like to drive.
I am well aware of the good, bad and down right ugly of the country. I know its best to focus on good to keep from bej g offended. I was station there at Subic from 1987-1988. Also in and out of P.I. doing Viet Nam. They had Marshall law then. You can't imagine how much worst things were.You could not depart from main street if you were not pinoy. You would be robbed and possibly killed.

Wayne 07 wrote:

When I go to buy something in Philippines I convert the price to U. S. dollars and start thinking how much I am spending from Amercian mindset not filipino. The problem with this is that I don't get a real  understanding of the cost from Filipino mindset. Example being I would tip someone in the U. S. $5.00 to valet my car. That is average tip. But in Philippines $5.00 is p-44 x$5.00=p 220. In Philippines to Filipino 220 peso would be a lot I think to do valet. Compared to U.S. which is average tip. How do I get the mindset to think like Filipino when it comes to operating with Peso and economy of the Philippines in mind not U.S. A. ?  This way I manage my money correctly from mindset of Country I am in the Philippines. Hope you understand what I am asking.

Just think 10% of what the norm is in the USA...Example: Valet - USA $5 ...Philippines $.50 or 20 pesos..
The average daily wage of a Filipino is about 10% of a USA wage....

Do not over tip. 5 peso for small things 20 peso  for a good taxi driver that don't get lost and follows instructions.  I pay the pedaltrike driver a extra 5 peso as double weight for me but not extra for the wife. 5 peso is standard here for most like a kid to run out in the street and flag a taxi for you or what ever.  Eating out I tip 10% to 15% depending on service. Avoid the kids begging in the market most have family working there I have found. This is C.D.O, not Manila that could be higher.

With regards to tipping, have an idea first of how much the person earns.  In the Philippines, minimum wage is around 480 pesos.  Some earn lower than that as companies employing less than 10 workers are exempt from minimum wage.  So, a waiter in a restaurant with a huge staff might be earning 500 pesos per day.  A gasoline station attendant, around 300 pesos or less. At a restaurant, a 20 peso tip might be labelled as "kuripot" or cheap.  While a 20 peso tip to a gasoline attendant for wiping your windshield is appreciated.

Second, how many people did he / she / they attend to and what was the quality of service. At a restaurant for example, start with 20 pesos if you're dining alone. Add more in you have company or if you're with a large group. Were they attentive, responding with the slightest gesture or eye contact, or did you already finish your meal before that request for an extra plate or silverware came through. Reward them for very good service. (Sometimes, I don't even tip at all if the service was bad.)

Last, you may (or may not) tip based on compassion. When we stop by a gas station at the express way, I give the attendant who checks our tire pressure and cleans our windshield a 100 peso tip.  Gasoline station attendants receive a meager salary, maybe just 200-250 pesos per day. Many of them have a family and children.  The tip made him grin from ear to ear, like a child receiving what he wished for from Santa.  It's nice to help out people who make hardly enough to put food on the table.

I really appreciate your insight. I read your commends. I like to keep it simple to remember. So, I am going to tip 50-100 pesos good service. For excellent 150-200 pesos.

I really want to thank people like you and all those who have taken time to commend on my questions.

This is my formula (after 4 years)

Begger or kid give loose change or a php20
Taxi - if around 50 then I give 70 .. If 70 give 100
Cheap restaurants - generally 50
Expensive restaurant - generally 100
Your regular pub etc ... Bet 100 plus lose chsnge .. Then they look after you

I then give extra for good service

If someone gets me smokes or something I give them the change (usually about 30)

Never tip when there are lots of street kid around etc

FilAmericanMom wrote:

With regards to tipping, have an idea first of how much the person earns.  In the Philippines, minimum wage is around 480 pesos.  Some earn lower than that as companies employing less than 10 workers are exempt from minimum wage.  So, a waiter in a restaurant with a huge staff might be earning 500 pesos per day.  A gasoline station attendant, around 300 pesos or less. At a restaurant, a 20 peso tip might be labelled as "kuripot" or cheap.  While a 20 peso tip to a gasoline attendant for wiping your windshield is appreciated.

Second, how many people did he / she / they attend to and what was the quality of service. At a restaurant for example, start with 20 pesos if you're dining alone. Add more in you have company or if you're with a large group. Were they attentive, responding with the slightest gesture or eye contact, or did you already finish your meal before that request for an extra plate or silverware came through. Reward them for very good service. (Sometimes, I don't even tip at all if the service was bad.)

Last, you may (or may not) tip based on compassion. When we stop by a gas station at the express way, I give the attendant who checks our tire pressure and cleans our windshield a 100 peso tip.  Gasoline station attendants receive a meager salary, maybe just 200-250 pesos per day. Many of them have a family and children.  The tip made him grin from ear to ear, like a child receiving what he wished for from Santa.  It's nice to help out people who make hardly enough to put food on the table.

I have to disagree with your tipping a gas station attendant 100 pesos for a 5 minute job of cleaning your windshield and tire pressure...LOL...I have a room right across from a busy station and I have seen attendants perform what you have described at least 5 times an hour..If all thought the same as you they would be receiving tips of 500 an hour or more up to 12 hours a day...that would probably average more the 2K a day just in tips not to mention many people on fill ups tell the attendant to keep the loose change...That is a ridiculous sum you suggest...No one in the US or OZ would ever consider a tip that large for what you described...The going rate for washing an entire car in the Philippines is 50 to 100 pesos...

He was probably smiling from ear to ear thinking how many more dumb people will be there today with that kind of tip...I have seen many a times a group of Filipinos, as many as 10, have constant service at a restaurant and when it was time to leave they stuck the change in their pockets without leaving any tip at all or just a meager 10 or 20 peso tip...Why should foreigners be any different..

Big noting foreigners that over tip are stupid and reinforce the Philippine mentality that all foreigners are rich.
Look what the Japanese did to Thailand in the 80s, by consistently overpaying they drove prices up to almost unsustainable levels. This mentality reminds me of the story of the Pelicans of Monterey Bay.

Those damn Pelicans on Monterey's Fishermens' Wharf will jack you for what you have

As FilAmericanMom said "a 20 peso tip to a gasoline attendant for wiping your windshield is appreciated." 

Tipping is always a difficult thing to decide, no matter what country you are in, so 10% does sound a pretty good guide.

Not sure about the idea of Wayne 07 with a basic "50-100 pesos good service. For excellent 150-200 pesos."

I think it depends on what you spend.

An 800 peso meal and maybe make it 900

A 250 peso taxi and I suppose I'd make it 300, more for convenience that common sense though

I had a taxi the other day, the meter read 309.  I gave him 500 and he gave me 200 change, so he only charged me 300. He got confused when I asked for small bills in change so i could pay him 330 in total.  He smiled though when he worked out what i was doing. (I didn't have anything smaller than hundreds, so I needed change)

A 50 pesos trike fare, and probably no tip from me, as most trike drivers overcharge the going rate anyway.
But having said that, one charged us 18 peso, for a trip that some locations would charge 100p for.  I think I gave him 25.  Problem is that he will want 25 from every foreigner now... sorry ;)

I flagged a trike down in Legazpi near airport and asked him to come back to hotel later and take around. Beautiful guy. He came back for us when we went for drinks and was always on time. I played for each journey and 50 tip on a 30 fare. Next day before leaving I gave him 1000 for wonderful service. He refused first but I said buy things for baby on way. Pay their worth. They not lazy.

Yes...good advice

accrington wrote:

I flagged a trike down in Legazpi near airport and asked him to come back to hotel later and take around. Beautiful guy. He came back for us when we went for drinks and was always on time. I played for each journey and 50 tip on a 30 fare. Next day before leaving I gave him 1000 for wonderful service. He refused first but I said buy things for baby on way. Pay their worth. They not lazy.

A VERY RARE BREED INDEED...

vetretreat wrote:
accrington wrote:

Very rare.  But I recall one like that too...  It was 1989 though :) (Serious)

ABCDiamond wrote:
vetretreat wrote:
accrington wrote:

Very rare.  But I recall one like that too...  It was 1989 though :) (Serious)

What's even more RARE is someone who would give a 1K tip just for doing the job all should be doing...LOL...

vetretreat wrote:

What's even more RARE is someone who would give a 1K tip just for doing the job all should be doing...LOL...

Agreed.  But if someone does go far and away beyond what you expect, and for a reasonable time, it might make us feel good that we also went beyond what is expected too.

A tip should express how you feel about the extra service you get.  And that means sometimes NO tips :)

I live in the Philippines now. I tip very generously. Some times my tips take the form of more than money. I take the time to point out to the person supervisor of the great service their employee provide to me. It's fun to watch them smile.

I use my own judgement how much to tip. A little by American standards is a lot by Filipino standards. So I take joy in being a blessing.

I also don't mine pointing out bad service as well. And will not tip accordingly. There is so much good we can do here. So, let's start doing it!

Hi everyone,

Please note that i have removed some posts from this thread as it was going a little bit off topic.

You are all welcome to talk on the topic " Mindset Filipino currency " but please let's avoid fighting with each other. :)

Thank you

Stéphanie

From what I have been told you should not tip and if you feel you must it should be very little because it makes it harder for the Filipinos because they can not tip. So taxi and so on start expecting it when Filipinos can't!

I totally agree, but we have to many US expats that suffer from the GOD syndrome and try big noting themselves by excessive tipping, which ruins the system for all, just for the sakes of their over blown ego's.
The Japanese did the same thing in Thailand in the 80s and have they changed things? ... No they just drove up the prices.

I tip a taxi 10 to 20 piso here. Depending on trip.   I have tipped 100 piso after asking 10 or more drivers were to find a special item as a finders fee.  A 20 piso tip is enough in most places you eat unless going high class.   I give the boys who flag down a taxi or load groceries 5 piso.   If I can not avoid them.  Some are hustlers give them that.    Tipping is not that common in the Philippines.  Do not give to panhandlers seems here kids see a American there hand shoots out.  Once here you learn.  I will buy a hungry child a meal.  After a while you learn to know what ones have not ate that day.  But for charity as at home I support the Boy & Girl scouts here.   Others choose there own.

If a vendor does an exceptionally good job or spends an excessive amount of time doing something for me, I will give them a tip, I do not have an overblown ego or a GOD fixation I am just trying to do two things, one is to thank you, the other is to try to adjust their miserable wages.

Thats a sensible attitude

madhatter868 wrote:

If a vendor does an exceptionally good job or spends an excessive amount of time doing something for me, I will give them a tip, I do not have an overblown ego or a GOD fixation I am just trying to do two things, one is to thank you, the other is to try to adjust their miserable wages.

Some Americans are guilty of this. Look at the area near the ex American Clark Air base.  A Trike ride that cost 8 pesos in most areas is 100 pesos, or 150 if its raining,  And they won't drop the rate !  I've walked away many times and they never call after you, being happy to wait for an American.  But the other side of the road, where fewer American go, the rate is down to 50 pesos for a longer distance.

I've been told these local trike drivers earn about 2,000 pesos per day.

Yes a van from the Clark to our hotel, 2 klms is 500 and no haggling. A taxi in Davao City from the airport to home about 25 klms is just 300.

Norm Allard wrote:

Yes a van from the Clark to our hotel, 2 klms is 500 and no haggling. A taxi in Davao City from the airport to home about 25 klms is just 300.

I almost got a taxi once, but he said "minimum fare 300".  I said "that's way too high", he said "go get a trike then, that's only 100".  And that's for the 1km to SM Clark, that I normally walk.  But it seems they have got used to enough rich people giving them high tips, that they now build it in the price.

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Inappropriate comment
Norm Allard wrote:

Rich people, ie Americans

I noticed some Koreans getting in a Taxi yesterday.  But; Yes, it was the Americans that started it in Clark. But now everyone has to pay the higher prices.

Trikes should cost about 12php for a short ride (up to 5klm) then add another 12php for the next section.  That is in a regional capital city.  That is for a private ride, not in a shared trike.

Philippines is not America, and America is not the Philippines.

Imagine if a Filipina came to America and followed his/her customs there, and did not tip!

When you visit or live in another country respect the customs there.  Tipping is not customary in the Philippines, and in Thailand, it is in most parts considered rude to tip.  Yet people do not want to respect the customs of the country they are in.  If you would like to help with spare money, instead of giving it to some one who has a job, give it to a charity in the Philippines.

Tip what it is worth in there Country or service rendered.  I tip the taxi. 20 piso if he takes the short way home. I pay the same if he takes the long way home to run up the fare.  So one way they get a 20 piso tip. Or sometimes they get a 2 piso tip.  For help with something small like loader at store or help parking in a tight place. 5 piso will do. Dine at a lodge 10% tip if good service. Small cafe no tip. They do not expect one. Tips here are not expected.   A extra big tip I gave a taxi driver I use often who found a item I looked for for 2 months and could not find here.  For taking me to a pawn shop that had that item.  So depends.

That is high.  I pay 8 piso to the mall on the jeepney, 6 piso to the taxi stand. 100 piso to the market taxi or around 118 piso if they go the long way.  So I give them 120 and always go the short way and they like to pick me up. Help load & unload what I buy for that.

hard to see 5 foreigners an hour coming through any gas station anywhere in Philippines, but it might happen in certain areas I suppose...

James Mitchel wrote:

Tip what it is worth in there Country or service rendered.  I tip the taxi. 20 piso if he takes the short way home. I pay the same if he takes the long way home to run up the fare.  So one way they get a 20 piso tip. Or sometimes they get a 2 piso tip.  For help with something small like loader at store or help parking in a tight place. 5 piso will do. Dine at a lodge 10% tip if good service. Small cafe no tip. They do not expect one. Tips here are not expected.   A extra big tip I gave a taxi driver I use often who found a item I looked for for 2 months and could not find here.  For taking me to a pawn shop that had that item.  So depends.

That sounds great, cant wait to see the look on the American faces, next time I go to America and do not tip them, unless I get good service.  As discussed here before, tipping is not customary in the Philippines.

the best thing you can give the filipinos for their good service is appreciation...the sincere "Thank you" will make their heart smile and u can expect them even with the very small tip u give them,,when u give them a smile and thank you..they will remember  you more and be one of their friendly  "suki" coz thats what they missed from most of the customers they encounter..the appreciation of the service they rendered..

Tip the same way in peso, most Filipinos don't tip because they ant afford it. If a ill is 500 peso tip 10% in peso.