Health Insurance

Hi all.
I am a new member here on Expat. My husband and I soon will retire in Long An Vietnam.
We will live 6 month in Vietnam and 6 months here in US.
Can anyone recommend a good health insurance
Can we buy insurance for 6 months ?
And around how much it will cost a month ?

Thank you

Beti Huynh

Hi,

I know somehow about insurance. May you tell me the reason for your health insurance? Why do you want to buy it or what do you hope for it?

The more details you give me, the better insurances I can suggest.

Regards,

(Moderated: no free ad on the forum pls + register in the business directory)

THERE ARE some travel policies sold through travel agents that cover extended travel - up to a year. Better to get coverage in the States so you can/maybe claim the cost from taxes.

Consider whether you want coverage for Air Medivac to Bangkok or Singapore. Since you might be able to reclaim your VNese citizenship, you might save money at VN hospitals.

There are many medical insurance policy issuers over here and BLUE CROSS is amongst the highest priced.

Hi Huyen.
My email is
huynhbeti@ yahoo.com
Just like I said ,I am will retire soon and want to live 1/2 time in Vietnam .
I am still working now in US and my company is cover for my insurance , that why I only need 6 months insurance for now.
but next year I will need insurance that will cover for both country (US & Vietnam )

Thank you

Beti

I've just sent you an email. please check your mail. Tks :)

Hi, I've seen information  from HSBC that provides health insurance in Vietnam through HSBC.com.vn .  It's very affordable, starts from about $75 PA. ,  seems cheap. But it does cover emergency medi Vac.  The price does seem too cheap, but I've briefly read the policy and the cover looks OK. Try a look

sweetbeti wrote:

Hi Huyen.
My email is
huynhbeti@ yahoo.com
Just like I said ,I am will retire soon and want to live 1/2 time in Vietnam .
I am still working now in US and my company is cover for my insurance , that why I only need 6 months insurance for now.
but next year I will need insurance that will cover for both country (US & Vietnam )

Thank you

Beti

You might be better off getting insurance in the U.S. that will cover you while in Viet Nam. At least contact your health provider and see what international insurance would cost you.

My wife (Vietnamese) made last year some kind of insurance for me directly with a hospital (there is virtually no reasonable insurance for real expats possible). Costs are 22 Million VND a year, covering those costs exceeding 30 Million in THIS hospital (only). Despite, it is quite high, it looks like a reasonable alternative to try on.
Not sure, if each hospital is doing and the true terms & conditions, when exactly it works or not. However, we know, this years MAX = 52 million for me, whatever might come.

So those, who not have, but want, might try in this way.

l3ully wrote:

Costs are 22 Million VND a year, covering those costs exceeding 30 Million in THIS hospital (only). Despite, it is quite high, it looks like a reasonable alternative to try on.
Not sure, if each hospital is doing and the true terms & conditions, when exactly it works or not. However, we know, this years MAX = 52 million for me, whatever might come.

I know a hospital that offers coverage for $300/year for over 70 year olds.

the final meal? still 20+ years to wait for that

I got my insurance from a broker in HCMC. They sell policies from a dozen different insurers like Blue Cross, AETNA, etc. They will ask you a bunch of questions and then offer you a few to choose from. The policies vary greatly in price and coverage so read the fine print!

You can contact [email protected]
Tell them Howie sent you ;)