Topics closed

Dear Kenjee and the other mods,

Got your message and feedbacks.

OK, understood so let this Expat.com just focus on maid issues and other non important things.....I will not continue here anymore with boring things, waisting time.

I thought this blog is to exchange interesting news between expats living in Indonesia but obviously I am wrong.

One is only appreciated as long you can provide info about maids/drivers etc....but not about the real life in Indonesia!!

Sorry but I can not share your feedback...

Cheers,
Tom

As I've stated in another thread, the political topics are a great interest and importance to expats.
As long as no ill feeling comes into them, I see them as potentially life saving if things get as bad as they did when Surharto was booted out.

One question.

Would political topics have assisted expats in Indonesia back in 1998 have been useful to expats?

I think understanding the consequences of this historical election is vital for all expats living here and perhaps the moderators should appreciate the concerns and value it creates being able to discuss the potential outcomes because it may directly effect our lives, families and situation. We are not directly inferring political party rhetoric or trying to create argument but merely expressing a voice about what ifs in the largest democratic Islamic country in the world.
Or you can continue to block it which would merely suggest that Expat.com is not aware of its users concerns.

I think we are all in agreement on this subject, this specific political topic is of great interest and use to expats - thus a valid discussion for this forum.

I can understand the theory behind restricting topics about politics and religion.  People can easily go from 0 to 60 a lot faster than when you're talking about where to buy a hat.

On the other hand, aren't we all adults?  What's the difference between censorship and protecting people from whatever you don't want them to talk about?  When Fred goes too far, can't a moderator simply spank him?  Does the entire subject need to be restricted?

Some things are irrelevant to this site.  Whether your one true religion can beat up my one true religion has nothing to do with the price of food stamps.  But some political issues, like an election, can directly affect the expats who litter this site.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

When Fred goes too far, can't a moderator simply spank him?.

Yes, please.

I don't think you get to pick which one.

guys, I haven't been in the office for a few days, bad fever ... but should you (as active members) +1 this post I will call the team tomorrow morning and we'll talk about all this

thanks - sorry I can't read the whole thread at present time and make a decision

Julien wrote:

guys, I haven't been in the office for a few days, bad fever ... but should you (as active members) +1 this post I will call the team tomorrow morning and we'll talk about all this

thanks - sorry I can't read the whole thread at present time and make a decision

In general, I have to agree with the forum's position regarding political topics, but there must be exceptions.
When a non argument causing thread is there for the greater good of expats (and locals), I believe it should be allowed to remain in place.
Perhaps you would consider the following suggestion.

In a case such as this, where the political landscape of a country may lead to a dangerous situation for forum members:

One topic on the subject be allowed.
The thread must clean, free of insults/arguments aimed at or between forum members.
No political statements/affiliations be allowed in avatars/other means that show in every post.

Unlike other Indonesian elections, this one is a make or break for the old guard in Indonesia, and some are willing to fight to return the old dictatorships.
That's directly dangerous for us, more so in this case where there are noted slurs against "foreigners and communists".
As with all dictatorships/extremists, these guys are setting up an "enemy", and we're it.
Hopefully, it will all blow ever, the political extremists loosing their position, and stability remaining with us - but it could still go the other way after the holiday.

As an example; Jakarta is demolishing a bunch of illegal housing and shops over the holidays while the people are away. They're doing this to avoid the trouble they know will happen if the people were around.
However, on returning and finding their house and possessions gone, there will be a lot of angry, anti establishment people, looking for someone to help them.
A small spark can cause a forest fire, especially if someone promises them the world to fan the flames.

We need to know what's going on, and a thread like this helps.
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=385270

PS - get well soon.

Hi Julien,

I'm sure Ive already missed this meeting...Bali time, what can I say?

If I can add my two cents, I agree entirely with Fred and Luke, who as you might know, are both long standing expatriates here in Indonesia.

If I can offer a quick suggestion...put Fred on your list of moderators, but only with the power to moderate threads on the Indonesia boards, and ask the other mods to leave Indonesia alone unless Fred goes on a very long and extended walk about.

Sorry to volunteer you Fred without any prior discussion.  IMHO, you are the right person for the task.

Ubudian wrote:

Sorry to volunteer you Fred without any prior discussion.  IMHO, you are the right person for the task.

Cripes - even if Julian were to agree to such a move, I'm unsure I'd be right for the job.

IMHO you've always demonstrated an objective view point and a keen eye for spotting what would be flamers or trolls. 

I think you would be very fair and reasonable.  Moreover, I can't recall you ever "loosing your cool" or showing anger. 

Finally, you've been here longer than anyone else, and you have an excellent and in depth understanding, knowledge and appreciation of Indonesian culture.   

I am confident that the Indonesia board would run a great deal smoother and even become richer with valued information for expats under your moderation. 

Anyway, that's my opinion.

Excellent idea Roy.....fully supporting it.

Fred....congratulations  :top:

Ubudian wrote:

If I can offer a quick suggestion...put Fred on your list of moderators, but only with the power to moderate threads on the Indonesia boards, and ask the other mods to leave Indonesia alone unless Fred goes on a very long and extended walk about.

There was a big debate/discussion/argument a while back about having moderators for specific regions who actually live there.  The ruling, if I recall correctly, was that moderators live in Mauritius and various regions should have "animators", now called "experts".

I'm not sure how many details of this conversation are supposed to be private, but I remember Julien having a very unusual opinion on the subject.  There was also a lot of misunderstanding between the moderators and the animators, so I might be misunderstanding Julien's position.

The present moderating on this board is almost laughable.  On one hand you have a moderator asking for a thread to stay on topic, while it clearly was on topic, and yet at the same time ignoring a full thread on Panama posted on this board.

You should add the words "topics closed" to your post to stay on-topic.

Are you partying tonight without inviting us Hailey?

happyhour wrote:

Excellent idea Roy.....fully supporting it.

Fred....congratulations  :top:

Maybe a bit premature, no, a lot premature.
reports of my promotion have been greatly exaggerated.

I'll apologise to Mark for the evil paraphrasing of his line before he comes to haunt me.

Ubudian wrote:

Are you partying tonight without inviting us Hailey?

That goes without saying....there might be a bar here called Topics Closed.

mas fred wrote:

Maybe a bit premature, no, a lot premature.
reports of my promotion have been greatly exaggerated.

I'll apologise to Mark for the evil paraphrasing of his line before he comes to haunt me.

You're already a VIP.  What's better than that?  Anyone can be on a team and "experts" are a dime a dozen.  VIPs get all the girls.

"VIPs get all the girls."

:lol:

You are on a roll tonight!

He was a DJ.  He must be used to watching the important people lurk away the whereabouts unknown while he stands there playing with his records.

When we can go to the party :D

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

He was a DJ.  He must be used to watching the important people lurk away the whereabouts unknown while he stands there playing with his records.

I have, over many years working the decks, seen clandestine lovers wander into the toilets, or pop out for half an hour. I don't know why they stand out so much, probably because they're so furtive in the way they leave.
Perhaps I can read minds .....hang on; something's coming in..the mist is clearing....

Hailey, you dirty girl. :D

"He was a DJ.  He must be used to watching the important people lurk away the whereabouts unknown while he stands there playing with his records."

What do you reckon, were those records 45 short plays or 33 1/3 long plays?     :offtopic:

Ubudian wrote:

"He was a DJ.  He must be used to watching the important people lurk away the whereabouts unknown while he stands there playing with his records."

What do you reckon, were those records 45 short plays or 33 1/3 long plays?     :offtopic:

Don't remind me.
I started my illustrious career with a pair of record decks, a tape machine, all firing up a pair of speakers with a massive 100w amplifier. The records took an age to drag into the venue.
By the end, the speakers were super duper Kevlar base units with serious aluminium tweeters, powered by a 500x500w amp, fed via a small mixer from a laptop.
The whole kit was smaller than the original record collection.
After 20+ years of observing human behaviour, commonly at its worst, you tend to be able to spot the naughty ladies who enjoy entertaining gentleman.

Too early in the morning for some "naughty humor?"   :lol:

Hello all   :D

Your complaints have well been received, and as Julien stated, he will be making a Team meeting to discuss on the presidential election matter and see how we can, of course, allow you to talk ''freely'' on the matter.

A thread ''Presidential Election'' is actually available for you to post on the matter until further notice, you are however required to respect our normal forum rules and conditions, that is, bear only to one topic. You are free to discuss the social matter, but not to influence others with your political views.

As this thread is just a typical 'complaint' one, and not related to expatriation, we are closing it down ;)

For any other informations or complaints, please use this form to Contact us.

Regards
Kenjee
[ Topic Closed ]

Closed