Electricity connection costs with BEL

I may be asking an unanswerable question.
Here goes Has anyone on the forum any ballpark figures for cost of connecting to the Power lines for a property within 50 feet of said lines. Also once connected is a deposit required by BEL before they will actually connect. I have a registered electrician who is capable of putting up the meter end of it and connecting to a house so I am looking for an idea of BEL costs. Oh yes a time frame for doing this would be helpful. i.e after building and meter  are in place.
Hope someone can help.

The BEL 'rule' is that you can get up to 3 poles for free. I believe each pole is 100 feet apart (thus 300 feet free). After that you pay for poles.

We were within the 3 poles, but we still needed to pay for the transformer as there was not one there. If there is a transformer at the closest pole, then your costs will even be less.

We paid approx $3200 BZ for our connection.

You need to get approval from the public utilities for your connection. Therefore you will need to get someone (i.e. electrician) to prepare the documents for that approval. Once you have that approval you then pay $300 BZ to start the process.

Once they hook up your power you then need to pay $100 BZ to open up your account.

Timing - it took 5 months to get electricity hook up once we submitted the paperwork. The paperwork was very well done.

That was our experience.

One more thing, BEL will not even come out to look at it unless you have the mast done for the line to be hooked up to (not the meter etc, just the mast). Therefore do that first thing. The mast needs to be built of concrete.

Thanks for all that it is looking more likely  initially it will be solar for the wooden house and save the BEL headache for when we have our land under control and decide where the forever house will be positioned. That time line was a shocker, our realtor (same as yours) made it sound like it was a minimal thing and could be done in a couple of weeks.

I had an connection two years ago, which may not give a reliable guide, but basically there are two components in
a new supply.  .BEL only erect the transformer and then connect to your "tails". you have to provide a suitable post on or near your boundary  I think 14 ft high (check), on the post is a main circuit breaker, and the housing for BEL to install
the meter. the cables have to go to the top of the post for the connection which is made after a safety test. I also had a distribution board so we could use current during building, which may not be necessary. from memory the two components added up to B$3000..    BEL connected within a week of being asked.  we looped two earth wires together
which they did not like, so we had incomer and outgoer grounded separately.

Hi we have gone with the solar they will be installing the system in the next couple of weeks, just for this first temporary wooden house we will sort out the BEL when we make more decisions about permanent buildings.

Terrific:

Can you message me privately and let me know who you went with. I would also like to hear what features you got in your solar system.

Appreciate it

Thanks

have done.

I would also like to know the details of your solar system. 

How big?  How much?   Where did you get the equipment and installation personnel.

We have a cement house that heats up like an oven & retains heat, so we need our A/C.   The cost of electricity is too high for our comfort....   thus we would like to augment our power usage with solar.

Used Pro solar from Belmopan they will do a check to see what you need for your needs also seems they can add independant or issolated parts that will just run specific items like Fridge or freezer so possibly do a designated AC set up. His guys are up in carozol  this next week or so. That job has to be finished to start ours on the 11th. Marco said it is a big set up. Thier price was considerably better than the SEBS quotes we got.
Marco walked us through it all and we found him very helpful and informative. He got his training in southern california and the company have US banking as well as Belize Banking.

thank you Terrific for the info.............

K

oluwadayofunmi wrote:

K

And what does your one letter post have to do with the subject of electricity connection costs with BEL ??

If yo have nothing informative to post then refrain from silly posts. Thank you.

since the BEL enquiry seems to have side tracked onto solar,  my experience in france at a fishing camp might be of interest.  we started with a generator which was a noisy nuisance..  I then erected just two panels
on a swivel mounting clamped to a tree. the 30 degree angle proved to be satisfactory. two ropes pulled the panels to face east to west. the original
idea was to join the two ropes via a small capstan mounted on a truck
wind shield wiper motor, it was so simply to change when any one walked past this hasn't been done. we started with eight 110 amp tractor batteries.
subsequently reduced to four.  the load comprised a 60 psi 12volt pump on the shower , and a 30psi pump for the kitchen , both with pressure switches.
a 3000watt inverter powered a 230volt microwave and also a toaster and electric iron. the microwave had to be the older heavy transformer type with the square wave inverter . the mv was noisier than  on mains
all lighting was an assortment of 12volt, which has been modernised
considerably over the years  a separate 500watt inverter powered a tv and music centre, with a later added electric blanket   refridgeration was all bottle gas powered.  the insurmountable problem was and is a washing machine..this system was only used in the summer, and was totally adequate.  the current occupier has since added four more panels
two single crystal to match the original, which give more power in good conditions and two amorphous crystal.which are claimed to give 40 times more power in poor light conditions.  this is supplemented by a small wind turbine.   winter heating is provided by wood burning stoves.  the property
is 20 miles southwest of Limoges, and has excellent summer sunlight hours.  a word of warning...    square wave will destroy any electronic equipment. sine wave is essential. however it will power many phone chargers,     mains power is still 5 miles away from the property.

I have been told that the cost to run power by BEL in Belize, aside from the 300 ft issue, is $60,000 BZ per mile. Does anyone know if that is approximately correct. We are doing a grid-tie solar, but need power run about 2,000 ft, and would like to have a reasonable estimate of the cost to run the line.
Thanks for any info or numbers.