Bahrain Vs Saudi Arabia and 1500 BD salary

Hi all, I am new to this forum. I have been reading extensively to find answers to my questions but I couldn't so I am posting a new topic.

My husband got an offer as an assistant professor in Math at a university in Bahrain. The base monthly salary is 1500 BD and the employer covers health, housing, transportation allowance and airfare tickets to and from my home country (Canada).

He also got another offer from Saudi Arabia, similar offer but with a lower salary. Around 1100 BD.

Is the Bahrain offer reasonable? Is that a good salary given we have a family of 3. My son is 2.5 years old. We would like to save  and have a decent life as well. We love going on nature outings and to museums etc.

I have read a lot of frightening articles and watched some videos on youtube about the political situation in Bahrain. Is it safe to move there now? He would be signing in at work on September 1st. I have read that there will be a nationwide demonstration on August 14th 2013. Does anyone know if it will remain peaceful or do Bahraini demonstrations get violent?

Is Saudi Arabia safer than Bahrain at the moment?
What would the cost of living be for a family of 3 in Bahrain?

Hello there and welcome to the forum.

Bahrain is perfectly safe to live in. There are some areas you need to stay away from, but in major areas (particularly where expats live), life is safe.

1,500 BD is a good salary, considering the employer will pay for everything else. It never hurts to negotiate for more though. Just by looking at the job title, I would say you can push for more. But Bahrain is also known for not paying a lot for education staff.

Cost of living really depends on your life style. We wrote a guide which you can access from the homepage of Bahrain forum, called "Definitive Guide for New Expats in Bahrain". In it, you will find answers regarding the cost of living as well as many other areas.

Let us know if you need any further help.

Thank you for the reply, I read the article. It answered a lot of my questions. How much more do you think we should try to push for in terms of the salary? How willing are Bahraini employers to negotiate?

Thanks again for the help :)

It really depends on his skills - but I would try for at least 1,800 - if not 2K.

Hi i am a bachelor got an offer as an IT Consultant at CIO in Bahrain. The base monthly salary is 525BD.

Is that a good salary to live and how much can i save ??

Please advice.Thanks

525 BD is very little salary for Bahrain. Although you can save some, I wouldn't expect it to be more than 150 BD depending on your lifestyle.

Saudi's not suffering the same problems as here but I'd still much prefer to stay in Bahrain. When it all kicked off in 2012 my company shipped me over to Saudi for a couple of weeks. Having a light tank parked outside the entrance to the hotel scared me far more than anything I've seen in Bahrain

1500bd salary when you have everything else included is a good salary - its always worth asking for more but I understand that educational institutes are a bit "take it or leave it".
We feel very safe living in Bahrain and as long as you avoid the troublesome areas its absolutely fine.
You need to weigh up whether you can cope with living in Saudi Arabia where you will be unable to drive or even go shopping without your husband in tow  - it will depend upon the accommodation that you are offered as to whether you will be able to cope.  I know some families who love it and some who hate it.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Which areas are troublesome? How would a newbie know?

The best way is to visit area's and look at properties in person.  If there is lots of black burning marks on the road or graffiti everywhere - that is a sign.

Or when you have shortlisted areas - ask anyone on here and we can advise you

Hi Superwoman2010, I am also going to have an  offer from UOB very soon. Do you think the offer from UOB is negotiable? Thanks in advance.

Hello arifzam and welcome to Expat.com  :cheers:

If however you do not get much response from this thread ( since you are on an One year old thread!) I kindly invite you to create a new thread for increasing your chances of response.

Regards

Kenjee

Hi all  I would be mvng to khobar with family I have been offer 38k sr per mnth is this ok for compound lifeatyle and good school

38,000 SR a month :):joking:

That's perfect , and again it depends on the lifestyle you live :D

If you live a luxurious kinda life , am sure no matter how much you get it won't be enough hahahah  :lol:

Compound prices in Khobar start from 35,000 SR a year and go anywhere upto 200,000 SR !

Regarding schools , per year I guess something around 10,000 SR - 15,000 SR in top schools is enough :D

But doesn't your contract include accommodation and children's education ? :/

hi gunner, thanks for the much awaited info, as of now the discussion is gng on the final stage, but would be around that much all inclusive I think, I was more worried about getting a good compound and schools, my son is in cbse board, and hence wanted advise on either \good cbse or bb or ib school nearby compound, my office would be around the khobar mall as I understand, so wanted advise on the best option of compound and school near distanced, if you can suggest some good compounds,

Also wanted advise is it advisable to ask the employer to see possibility of staying in Bahrain and commuting to Saudi everyday is this feasible,

That is a great salary. Don't worry.

Respected man,
I m from India. I m seeking a job in bahrain

db16 wrote:

hi gunner, thanks for the much awaited info, as of now the discussion is gng on the final stage, but would be around that much all inclusive I think, I was more worried about getting a good compound and schools, my son is in cbse board, and hence wanted advise on either \good cbse or bb or ib school nearby compound, my office would be around the khobar mall as I understand, so wanted advise on the best option of compound and school near distanced, if you can suggest some good compounds,

Also wanted advise is it advisable to ask the employer to see possibility of staying in Bahrain and commuting to Saudi everyday is this feasible,

CBSE , well I've studied in International Indian School Dammam ( CBSE Delhi ) , you won't find any problems with the schools here :)

And there are many compounds and residences around the school ;)

You'll be safe for sure  :top:

Regarding staying in Bahrain and commuting to Khobar daily , well , that's possible too :)

There are many expats who go that way !
It all depends on your employer , high professions with a Saudi Residence Permit get a Bahraini Residence Permit very easily ;)

Dear all friend ...
I m going to study abroad to take loan from education loan to govt. I wanna go to bahrain university .. Pls tell me where is part time job avialble and how much expat sallery on part time .. Pls guide me

Hi everybody
i m 10+2 passed in 2008,
i wanna to go abroad in bahrain university ..
Guide me