Basic Costing for people coming to Live in Dar

I tried this site before moving here but since not many could help me, I have decided to help those who do come in from now on.

Please find the basic costs here which should help you:

Just remember 1 USD = 1600 Tshs Approx

TV & Cable    - WIN Cable is the best one. Initial cost is Tshs, 160,000 for six months subscription + decoder box .Thereafter it is approx.. Tshs. 50000 for 6 months.
Gas Cylinder - Tshs 52,000 Mob No.: +255 715 078 600 (Mohammed)
Chicken - 1 full costs Tshs 7,000
Mutton - 1 kg costs Tshs 7,000
Ice cream - 2 ltr pack of Azam strawberry costs Tshs 9,000
Brown bread - Azam bread costs Tshs 800
White Bread - Costs about Tshs 700
Egg - Single piece costs about Tshs 300
Luku or light - Recharge once a month and Tshs 70,000 will get you about 225-230 units. Normally 7 units are used
                       in a day
Water - 1 ltr bottle costs Tshs 1,000 and 12 ltrs costs Tshs 3,500
Milk - 1 ltr costs Tshs 2,500 if bought from outside. Regular milk supplier will give for around Tshs 1,200
Wheat - 5 kg Azam costs Tshs 8,700
Sugar - 1 kg costs Tshs 2,000 - 2,500
Rice - 1 kg costs Tshs 2,000 - 2,500
Tur Dal - 1 kg costs Tshs 4,500 - 6,000
Vodacom - Tshs 30,000 pack has 30 hours worth same network calling, 30 mins other network calling , 900 smses &
                   3 GB internet data
Vodacom Modem - Tshs 40,000 for unlimited internet in a month and Tshs 25,000 for 5GB internet data limit.
Vodacom Router - Costs Tshs 140,000 and is better served to connect various wireless devices
Shreejis supermarket and grocery market in Kisutu are good places for buying consumables and grocery products
Petrol & Diesel - 2100 Tshs per litre
Haircut - Kantis near Jamhuri Street Tshs 5,000
Best place for Indian Panipuris and other street food  - 10 to 10 supermarket or Chappan Bhog. (Avoid Mithai.)
                                                                                        Starting costs from Tshs 3,000 onwards
Best place for Barbecue - Barbeque house in Upanga (One portion costs Tshs 5,500)
Mulitplexes - Quality Centre Mall after Chang'ombe signal(costs Tshs 9,000 on weekends and 7,000 on weekdays.
                     (Seats are quite hard)
                     Century Cinemax near Oysterbay (costs Tshs10,000 on weekends and 8,000 on weekdays. Better
                      quality but no lifts or escalators in the mall so have to climb 2 floors)
Taxi fares - Generally safe, One way cost Tshs 4,000 from Kariakoo to Upanga or town and Tshs 10,000 from Kariakoo to Oysterbay   

Accommodation - Kariakoo Area (600-750 USD per month for a semi furnished 2 BHK)
                           - Upanga Area (700-1200 USD per month for a semi furnished 2 BHK depending on the building and location)
                           - Mikocheni & Oysterbay Area (1100 - 2000 USD per month for a semi furnished 2 BHK depending on building and location)

Salary for a car driver : Tshs 190,000 if he has 2-4 years experience otherwise between Tshs 260,000-300,000 per month
Salary for house maid : Between Tshs 80,000-120,000 per month depending on size of the house and where they are coming from. I would advise Tshs 120,000 if you have a family.

Cost of acquiring a driving license: Anywhere between Tshs 120,000 - Tshs150,000
(Agent Name: Hamisi Chande - 0652165656)

Please let me know if you need any more costing to be put. I will keep on updating this,

Excellent Brother!!!
I thought of posting something similar, but I have not yet come there. I will be there next week.
It is very important  information.
Thanks
Satya

@ ankeetsinha > Thank you  a lot for this sharing of information, it is very much appreciated  :top:

Priscilla
Expat.com team

No Issue Guys. Will update further costs if you all can give your suggestions.

Excellent account on basic costs bro, housing and fuel costs can be added there as well...

I couldn't have put it better bro...

Thanks Dude. Have added the fuel costs. The housing costs differ from area to area hence have avoided it. Will try to come up with a relative figure though.

what will be rent and which part of the city should we take accommodation, please somebody can advise

how many BHK and u looking for no , semi or fully furnished? Also, where is your office and do you have a car?

Hi. Thanks for a valuable tips.

As I amthinking to move Dares salam I have following queries.

1. What is the average monthly expense for a 4 member family  with good life style  ?

2.What is the average salary for senior position in Marketing?

3.Any terror from local people ?
4.How is the sociallife ?
5.Population of Indian/ Gujarati ? and their  hold in local

1. What is the average monthly expense for a 4 member family  with good life style  ?
Define good lifestyle as it changes from person to person. Also what is your company ready to pay?

2.What is the average salary for senior position in Marketing?
Around 1200-1500 USD per month

3.Any terror from local people ?
What sort of terror? just be careful of not wearing expensive stuff or displaying it. They are very nice people

4.How is the social life ?
Its not as good as India but we have not moved here to have a good social life. Its more about earning money and making our future secure.

5.Population of Indian/ Gujarati ? and their  hold in local
Decent population and there is no hold as such. All live in harmony.

I will be coming my salary is going to $1500  per month & i will be ok with 2 bhk and I dont know the exact place of my office as I haven't received their offer letter they will be sending it and where are the Indian community basically settled

Indian community is basically in town and Kariakoo. The salary you're being offered is fine. Do join and Welcome to Tanzania. Its a beautiful place.

ankeetsinha

Thank you so much for this wonderful posting. I am moving soon to Dar and this helps a lot.

Can you kindly advise if you find electronics (TV, washing machine) expensive in Dar or about the same price as in India?

Is the local city bus ok to use or must you use taxi?

Electronics are a bit expensive but more sensible to buy from here. Will get them cheapest in Kariakoo area. Local bus is not safe but taxis and rickshaws are better although a little expensive.

My advice to you, Tanzania is a wonderful place if you lower your expectation levels.

Thanks for the information. I agree with you that the key is lowered expectations and then one will be pleasantly surprised instead of shocked. :-) However knowing myself, I like to have as much advance information as possible to avoid utter shock. About 12 years ago I was shocked in Japan to find out there were no stand up floor mops! I regretted not knowing that in advance because it meant scrubbing the floors by hand until I could visit a country on vacation and buy a stand up floor mop. Lazy me.

Sir,

What is the average salary for a car driver and house maid?

Thanks in Advance

It has been updated. Please check it out.

Thanks for updation. Can I get a driving licence in Tanzania with out holding a local licence from india? What is the visa cost for indians at airport on arrival? One month Visa

Thanks in Advance.

The visa is on arrival and for 3 months minimum for which you pay 50 USD per person.

You can acquire a license here without a driving license from India but the costing will go up to around Tshs 150,000 or maybe a little more.
But I do hope you know how to drive a car as the laws are very strict here.

sankarvet2000 wrote:

Sir,

What is the average salary for a car driver and house maid?

Thanks in Advance

Depends really, some go with the basic wages, cost of living and what you can afford to pay the driver.

Some will recommend you to offer from 200,000/- to 280,000/- depending on the hrs really...

Hello,

Thanks for the information. Can you also please specify how many hours per week and total number of days per week for the salary range you gave?

Thanks.

happy2beinindia wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for the information. Can you also please specify how many hours per week and total number of days per week for the salary range you gave?

Thanks.

40hrs a week should do..more than that they will quit after few weeks....

kesqltd wrote:
happy2beinindia wrote:

Hello,

Thanks.

Mon-Frid 8am-5pm
Sat 8am-2pm

kesqltd wrote:
kesqltd wrote:
happy2beinindia wrote:

Hello,

Thanks.

Mon-Frid 8am-5pm
Sat 8am-2pm

Any extra hrs pse try to be generous...

Well done Ankith......you did a good job on cost of living :)

Dear Mr Ankeetsinha,

I saw the details u hve given about possible expenses for living in DAR ES SALAAM and thats very useful.

I would be obliged if you can give some idea for starting a small business (with small investment) over there
i.e. a small grocery shop/minimart, textile shop, used electronic items like cell phones, laptops etc etc.
it would be helpful if you could give details of expenses involved in registering such a small business over there
including procedure/govt requirements etc. And is it easy to get a long term residence permit once you have a
business there?

I would appreciate your detailed response. Pls write back to:  [email protected]

Tks
Ahmed

Hi
Thank you for the blog , any site or link where expats could find jobs would be a great help

@ Dineshmn > Welcome to Expat.com. Do note that your question about job websites here is a bit off topic as here the topic is Basic costing for people coming to live in. So, can you please create a new thread on the Dar es Salaam forum with it?

Thanks,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Hi,
I thought it would be an added help , as those planning to migrate would also be looking or having job offers anyways thanx keep up the good work as it is really helpful

Thanks a lot. This is a very good guide and very helpful for someone looking to move to Dar. Great job and thanks for sharing.

how can we compare salary like if we are spending Rs 60000/-  in India what we require in mwanza any rough idea

Dear Ankeet, you have really given excellent detail information, thx a lot, I am also offered a job in mwanza how I can compare my cost of living if I am spending average Rs 60000/- in India. it will really help me to take final decision, further how is school education in mwanza compared to delhi.

vibhore wrote:

Dear Ankeet, you have really given excellent detail information, thx a lot, I am also offered a job in mwanza how I can compare my cost of living if I am spending average Rs 60000/- in India. it will really help me to take final decision, further how is school education in mwanza compared to delhi.

Just convert your Rs 6000.00 into Tanzanian currency. Then do the sums.

ok in shilling it is 1629489.93

hi, i have got a job offer in dar es salaam
salary offered is 750 us$, besides, company would pay for rent and transport and food
all the other expenses like housekeeping, toiletries would be incurred by me

so is the above package good enough for a bachelor, or is it on the lower side.

All the suggestions are welcome.

Thanks and regards

Word13 wrote:

hi, i have got a job offer in dar es salaam
salary offered is 750 us$, besides, company would pay for rent and transport and food
all the other expenses like housekeeping, toiletries would be incurred by me

so is the above package good enough for a bachelor, or is it on the lower side.

All the suggestions are welcome.

Thanks and regards

Try www.numbeo.com  for cost of living

Hello every body
I am an Indian
The company offer me salary 60000 indian rupee in india account plus Accommodation food car medical visa air fare.

Pls suggest me what to do ?
Accept or reject

Dear Ankit,

I got offer from Bell Communication as 500 USD + Accommodation + Traveling +  telephone.
Should I accept this offer , please reply as possible as you can.
I have to reply till tomorrow.
Please help me.
Please send mail on- [email protected] or my watsup no- +91 9175543943

Regards,
Zubair Khan

Hello Guys,
hope you all doing well!
i am from Delhi and got an offer from one Tanzania  company for 2000 USD+ furnished Bachelor Accommodation, Car & Driver, 1 month paid leave with return ticket while bachelor stay after 11 months and with family 45 days paid leave with  return ticket including wife and family after 2 year. i ll be taking my family here after a year.
my questions & doubts:-
1- does furnished bachelor accommodation include kitchen, Television & cable and will it be included all the bills like electricity, water etc.?
2- how about medical expenses in arusha? like Dr. fees and cost of general medicine.
3-how about Schooling since my daughter will be in class 1st while my family moves there, and school fees for any good Indian school?
4- cost of 1 ltr. whiskey but not very expensive could be any good local brand? ;)
5- how much would be my average food expenses for a month? i am not a night club or a party lover guy.
6- will 200-250 USD will be fine for my food and general expenses?
7- Once my family moved- wife, elder daughter 6,  younger daughter11 month, will i be able to save any money out of 2000 USD including elder daughter school fees?

I would request to all experts that kindly address my questions and help me taking any decision.

thanks all :top:

hello everyone. i got an offer from st. johns medical university, dar-es-salaam for post of asst prof. recruiter told me salary vould be INR 1,00,000 (USD 1622) in hand vithout deduction + USD 100 (some alloance i dont remember) + USD 500 for bachelor accomodation (or USD 700 for family accom) + some health and other aloances. in addition he said he'll pay INR 50,000 (USD 811) for air travel. he didnt tell me clearly vether air travel is paid yearly or 2 yearly.

please tell me is this a good offer or not?