Loneliness when you're abroad

yes... being an expat sometimes can make us feel trapped, everything has two sides always.

Church? Um...no thanks.

Situational awareness. You can be just as lonely in NYC. The words try, just, lonely and bored are not in my vocabulary.

Yes! It's difficult working abroad away from our family... :(

nirace wrote:

Yes! It's difficult working abroad away from our family... :(

Welcome to EB.

It is difficult working away but the secret for me is to be able to have daily contact with family in Laos.

Nothing is easy in this world.. Everyone have their own perception but according to me For getting success in life sometime we have to go step back.. But when we are at good platform everything going according to us.. If we r away from family it mean not that we r living away from them by wish some cross let us doing that.. So don't worry if u going away from ur family for working be positive for success...
living away from family not easy for anyone but its a destiny at last

Yes deepakj you are right. Its destiny and we have to accept.

I could never feel lonely in London its my City. But  my advice to those that are young that they head for the ISH Bar - 229 Great Portland Street London W1W 5PN  In the International Students House.

Your bound to find interesting youngsters from all over this planet of ours. Even from your own country. They have events through out the week. Its across the road from London's most beautiful Parks. Regents Park.

Then if you want to have fun heckling speakers at Hyde Parks Speakers corner at the Sunday event. I have made some great friends there.

I go for shopping when i feel lonely

Totally agree !

if you live in a place where people are used to be alone, then you just have to leave.

I like your positive attitude.

That is something my husband and I are afraid of when we move, but are even more excited to meet new people and learn new things and experience the culture.

Anyone else looking to network and find friends?!

Msg me!

Its véry lonely here in qatar.

Hiryu0497 wrote:

Its véry lonely here in qatar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filipinos_in_Qatar    According to Wiki there are 200,000 Filipinos in Qatar, and 44 Pino organisations. How can you be lonely there?

ya sometimes loneliness can be most felt in crowded places. ironic isn't it. well that's the human condition sometimes

maybe ultimately we are really alone, but when we connect with the deepest part of yourself you feel connected to other people

You can be alone in a crowd of people. It is all down to being able to communicate with others.

You are correct, however it is not that easy for others

True; I am alone often, but never lonely.

Some people prefer their own company. Those who say they are lonely need to make the extra effort to make friends, not just sit around complaining that they are lonely. It is difficult to make friends when there is a language barrier but I for one have got by in many different countries over a period of 40+years and made long time friendships.

true,.

Noelksa wrote:

true,.

Please give a reasonable reply. No silly one line one words posts. If you do not have anything constructive to say then do not post at all.

I totally agree with you.

I can say that being lonely is a state of mind... something that you can control. its just the feeling. Of course if your new, this is common and enivitable, but still you can make friends with people around you, feel those things around you. Just be yourself-nothing else.

Julien wrote:

Do you often feel lonely when you're abroad?

I personaly suffered on week ends while I was in the UK. Even if I had several friends, I often missed my family and friends (from home). So I walked, visited museum, went to concerts, worked more... What about you?

What are you doing when you feel lonely?

If you are lonely, it is really a big problem on Sunday. But I've tried in 92 years - when there was no phone or wireless internet, where given the opportunity to speak on skype to communicate with family and my smaller children. Today is very simple because the internet is e good solution.  A expad is difficult, can not find a girlfriend, because of lack of contact, isn't in society.

that is true...

I always feel lonely when I go abroad for a long period ((

gd morning alina its natural it happens to most of the people and im one of them

I use to paint and listen to sad music haha, not a good recommendation tho

I m new in Valencia.    Even if i moved from Philippines, holand, italy.    It is always difficult to find friends...     And real one...

Try using Skype. This is a free telephone connection and on medern phones you can use your web cam to see each others face. It has really helped me to stay close with my girlfriend whilst she is living in Brasil.

Good luck

i feel lonely

i feely lonely

i  feely lonely

sani196 wrote:

i  feely lonely

Get out and about. Make an effort to meet people. Stop sitting around feeling sorry for yourself. You are the only one who can fix your problem.

"Even with a thousand people surrounding you, you still feel alone."
I have to disagree with this quote on so many level. I believe a person have their own choice of wanting to feel that way or to try and see that there is someone out there feeling the same as you or that there is someone out there who have it worse than you. If you feel alone within that thousand of people, Im sure someone have the same feeling as you. Even with a thousand people surrounding you, you dont have to really feel alone, you can actually go into depth and think what these people are thinking. Im sure youll be amazed at how much they can relate to your thoughts, for some put on a mask to hide their emotions or feelings. I dont understand why people tend to say they feel alone, its because they choose to be. Its not that they have to feel so alone in a room or place with thousand, million of people. Its just a hindering feeling that been with you even with thousand of people or nobody at all. As for me, I walk from classes to classes within passing hundred of people, I think about how Im not alone everyday. I know theres someone within the crowd who shares a darker secret than me, theres someone who have it worse than me at home, theres someone who portray themselves to be smiling when theyre breaking inside, theres someone who actually share the same mutual feeling as mines, and last of all theres someone who feels alone which a lot of people tend to feel, when really theyre not alone. We trick our mind to believe in such an illusion that isnt there, we trick our mind to think were alone, because we really dont think about others, but what our heart feels. Even with a thousand people surrounding you, youre not alone. Never was, but in that denial state of that you are, because of your own feelings. This is just an observation Ive seen for a while, Ive noticed. Nobody is ever alone to begin with, because everyone starts out to have someone by them, even if they were temporary, they made a difference in your life.

We all find ourselves in tense situations, unfortunately we don't always handle these occasions the way we'd like. More often we find ourselves reacting to events, rather than stopping to consider our options and then making more rational and logical decisions. By doing so, we wind up making decisions based on emotion, rather than logic, which usually only serves to heighten the tension, rather than alleviate it. And then, we find ourselves second guessing ourselves afterwards. There's a way around this fortunately. Simply following the five tips below can help most people in most situations to reduce a tense situation

yah the feeling sucks..but most of the times nothing you could do about it :)

Happyendding wrote:

:o

I see we have another person who cannot be bothered to post anything at all regarding the subject matter.
Mentally challenged perhaps ??

Meet other expats and join the events

OR