Brazilian Citizenship

Help.i was born at Lansdale Pa USA to my Brazilian Citizen mother.when I was 1 years old she took me to Sao Paolo Brazil as a minor included on her Brazilian Passport for 6 months..I believe she registered my birth at the Brazilian Consulate at New York..is it possible to obtain a Brazilian Birth Certificate from the Brazilian Consulate in New York then apply for a Brazilian Passport at Canberra Australia as I am now a resident of Australia ...

I have no idea if you can obtain records from the Consulado in New York unless you can give them some leads as to where to begin looking. Do you have any records of the registration, dates or other information that would help them in the search? At any rate you'd really have to contact the Consulado in NY directly on any of this.

Do you have a US Birth Registration (long form) that lists your mother's citizenship as Brazilian? That at least would help you with citizenship if you were here in Brazil since you wouldn't need to actually apply for naturalization, but rather ask a Federal Court judge to grant your citizenship and you wouldn't have a waiting period like with naturalization before you can apply. Don't know exactly how that works, but I'm sure if you search this other topic you'll find mention of it.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=257450

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

Ive emailed the consulado in ny I sent $5 to them they said they would research it I sent a copy of my american birth certificate which states the city of birth of my mother as sao paolo..I have my mothers birth certificate and parents marriage certificates..I was interested to travel to brazil to do this..how long would it take to ask a federal judge..wat proofs do I need

I really don't know, but if you've got documentary proof it should be relatively simple and not take long at all. You'd need to at least speak to a lawyer experienced in Brazilian immigrations law on this issue. You'd need to ask a lawyer to do the application before a judge anyway. I don't think they allow you to go into court and do it yourself. If you can't find anything using a Google search for lawyers here send me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

ok i can i live on 45,000 reais a year in brazil?

If that were your net (after taxes) salary it certainly would be difficult to get by well on it in a major city. For example most mid-level employees in IT in São Paulo earn around R$7000 (gross) per month or about R$85000 annually. That means that all the cost of living figures are going to be that much higher in São Paulo.

You'd do just fine with R$45000 per year in a small town, but by no means would you be able to save much.

perhaps you can help me and i pay you..i want to apply here in Melbourne Australia for the Italian Citizenship and Passport at the Italian Consulate,,,my Father is Italian..therefore i am an Italian Citizen that was born in the USA..i need tmy Mother's Birth Cerificate (she is Brazilian) and i need the Marriage Certificate , both from Sao Paolo..all these step need to be taken in Brazil.. the legalization and translation into Italian and certified by the Italian Consulate in SP..

Brazil is not a country that provides apostilles, so you must get your Brazilian documents certified and translated per the requirements of the Italian consulate in Brazil that covers where in Brazil those documents were produced.

[link under review]

I certainly can't help you because I live in another state, but I can tell you that unless you know a lot more information about your mother and her marriage you're going to find it almost impossible to track down the documents.

Here in Brazil there is no such thing as a "central" national Registry for vital statistics such as births, marriages and deaths. They are all recorded in individual Registries called "Cartórios" and large cities may have dozens, small cities may have two or more. Unless you know not only the full name at birth (and it must be exact spelling), your grandparents' full names, date and city of birth and the specific Cartório where your mother's birth was registered you'll probably never find it. For the marriage here it's going to be exactly the same story, full names of both spouses, date and location of marriage, specific Cartório, etc.

I'm sorry that I can't help you more than this and I'd suggest that ONLY if you can dig up a whole lot more information surrounding your mother's birth and marriage that you don't even think of wasting your money on paying a lawyer or anyone else to try to find anything, it's not going to produce much in the way of results, sad to say.

my mother: catorio cambuci   the marriage..catorio tucuruvi..i have copies of both certificates ..i just need two new ones to submit to the italian consulate..and translated

if u give me an email address i can send u scans of both documents you can order them online in brazil

Hi orlandos60,

I'm sorry, but if you can't order the documents online from abroad I would suggest that you contact the Cartório(s) involved directly. Like most countries such documents can only be requested by the person to whom the document was originally issued, an immediate family member or their legal representative. I certainly cannot do it for you.

Please note that your account experienced an automatic temporary block for posting outside links. New members who post outside links find "link under review" when their messages appear, if they continue posting links the computer system temporarily block the account.