Family wants to move to Ecuador

Hello everyone! I just found this blog and I think it's great! My family and I are wanting to move to Ecuador!
I have been looking through the real estate listings for a country home with land but haven't found anything in our price range. We currently live on 25 acres in the Ozark Mountains and would like about the same amount of land there (more would be fine to). I have been looking in the Pastaza , Banos area among other places in which I am still learning the names , but everything I have found through a realty company has been quite expensive. We would even be willing to swap our house and land to a country home with acreage in Ecuador (inland as much as possible, not on the coast). If anyone knows of any places like this please contact me. I thought it may be easier to ask people who already live there. Any other information you can send my way will be much appreciated as well!

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Julie

Hello Julie,

welcome to Expat.com!

Francesca

Julie; Do not buy anything without seeing it and without the advice of a trusted lawyer. Visit the area of your interest, get acquainted with the local expat community and see what they have to say about a lawyer you can trust. If you have children be sure to ask the lawyer what will happen to your property if one of you should die. It could affect how you want to take title to anything you buy. Your eldest son will be treated preferentially regardless of any provisions in your will to the contrary. Also inquire about security risks in that area. The legal system in Ecuador is based on Roman or Civil law as opposed to English Common law as in the USA. The differences are significant.

Thank you so much for the information, every little bit we get is very helpful. What if we have everything put into a trust would it be the same issues as with a will?

Also, is it better to rent first before you buy?

Thanks again!
Julie

Thank you so much for the welcome! You know I have joined American blogs based in th US (homeschool) and do you know I never received even a hello! I appreciate all the posts so far they have been very helpful!

Keep them coming, Please!

Have a great day!
Julie

My friend Jack Abercrombies will be able to help you in Vilacabamba Quito Cuenca and Cotacachi, so let me know if you need some help.

cheers

Julie,

I think Sequimite's advice is so important. Unless you are absolutely sure you want the live here, I would visit first. We can write forever about this place, but until you spend some time here, you may not know if it is right for you. Also, you will then have a better idea of what you want to buy. Having 25 acres in the Ozarks (where I was born, BTW), is not the same as having 25 acres here. You will understand this after you have spent some time here. I would also consider living in Ecuador for a while before you buy anything. Like most of us, you will probably love it. But, if you don't, then buying too early could have unpleasant repercussions. Nothing is every hurried in Ecuador, and for a very good reason. On a similar note, I was here a year before I finally determined that I wanted to stay and invest in property here. It will probably be another year before I actually buy something.

Also, be very cautions of the many offers of "help," that will be extended to you. You want check and then double-check again any advice or help through at least three references or alternate opinions. I am just saying be both wise and careful with such a big purchase. Spend some time here talking with many people and you will understand why I am writing this.

Thank you! Advice taken. I hate the thought of renting again but I agree it is a good idea. From everything I have heard so far I think we will like it. We have talked with our kids as well and they are excited about the idea as well. We think life would be better for all of us there, but again we need to come there for a visit first.
It is a big decision for all of us, but the thing is, enjoy life and live it happy and healthy and the US cannot offer that for us anymore.

It is a lot to consider but I think we are making the right decision. If its meant to be than it will Be!

Thanks again!
Julie

Well, I am inspired to just keep on writing. What really stood out for me was your comment about living happy and healthy. That was a very big thing for me. The quality of the food here is much better than the U.S. I love avocados, and can get really fresh ones for 25 or 30 cents each. They are usually have nice smooth flesh with few, if any, brown threads that seem to characterize the avocados in the U.S. Fruits are plentiful and many are not even available in the U.S.

Funny thing, after I wrote the last sentence, I decided to go downstairs and fix some popcorn. When I got to the kitchen, the whole family was sitting at the counter. The stared as I enter. So, I asked, "What's up?" They all wanted to know when I was going to eat this huge Cherimoya I bought in the market yesterday. So, I grabbed it off the counter, cut it up, and we all enjoyed it. This is one of the most wonderful fruits I have tasted and they grow here in the Andes. So, I came back upstairs thinking, "Yep, the fruits are the best part.""

Many of the food products are quite simple, without additives. Peanut butter contains two ingredients: peanuts and salt. Oatmeal contains oatmeal, that's it. They have a wonderful mayonnaise made from olive oil. I love the flavor and appreciate that it contains no GMOs. When you go to the local marketplace, you will find everything is usually simply grown and freshly picked, all at a very reasonable price. The rice is grown here and contains no arsenic like the rice in the U.S. Yes, rice in the U.S. really does really contain arsenic (even that beautiful rice grown in Arkansas). The FDA denied this for years but finally admitted it, but says that is okay; it won't harm you.

It is very surprising how happy Ecuadorians seem to be, given how poor many of them are. One of my closest friends is very poor and lacks education. She is now trying to get her high school equivalent and I have been trying to help her with her English studies. She and her husband are really struggling right now because the city hasn't payed him in six months and she barely makes two-hundred a month. But, she is one of the most gentle and joyful persons I have ever known. Like many, she has a very strong faith and does not dwell on what she doesn't have. Rather, she trusts that all things will end up as they are suppose to. I am in absolute awe of her strength. Many of the people have this strength as well as generosity of spirit. Children grow up as an integral contributor in the family and, in general, are more mature than their age. It is a great environment to raise children.

These are some of the things that make Ecuador such a wonderful place for me.

Julie: It sounds like you've decided to rent first, but I'll add my opinion that it's the right choice -- in any country.

I've met a number of expats here in the Philippines who bought very quickly after arriving, certain that they had found heaven. After a while, they changed their minds (life throws surprises at us all the time) and then found that they were tied down by property they couldn't unload.

Stay long enough in a place to be absolutely certain it's right for you before committing to a big purchase like a home or land. The things about a country that seem at first to be charming eccentricities might turn into huge annoyances after a while. Kind of like a marriage. :)

Bob

I think that is one of the major things I would look forward to.... Fresh, non GMO foods. That it one of my biggest pet peeves in life. I hate (yes hate) how our food is being altered here in America and people wonder why we have so many health issues.... Duh!

Anyway, I could go on and on about the food but I will not go there!!

I have always liked Latin traditions and their positive attitude on life. I think it's great that you have made such a good friend there. Plus enjoying the simple things in life with your family. It's good to appreciate the little things in life and it is hard to do here. We live in the woods that is pretty secluded but we are still in the rat race here. We live in the country.....  There's supposed to be less stress here (lol)!!!!

Anyway thanks for sharing!
Julie

I think you are right! Although renting kind of stinks I think it would be worth it in the long run!
I just think about..... We have our place paid off here and having to have that payment again. But from what I have seen so far rent is really reasonable there. I looked at a couple of places the utilities and furniture were included and the furniture was nice.

But the first step will be getting our passports and taking a trip down there (easier said than done( but it will all work out!

Thank you for your input, it has been very helpful!

Julie

Hello everyone!

I have been looking continuously on the Internet about the different areas in Ecuador and I think we have finally pinpointed an area! We know we want to live in the mountains/highlands but the idea of volcanos nearby scares the heck out of me, so anyway, I was looking earlier today and found Zamora. From the pictures it looks absolutely breathtaking and it isn't over populated (from what I have read so far). Can anyone tell me anything about the Zamora area? Tell me everything you know, please!

Thank you so much! I hope everyone is well!

Julie

Julie,
I just got back from Zaruma a few hours ago, and was in Zamora two weeks ago. I am pretty tired at the moment, so, will provide more information later in the week. But I wanted to mention Zaruma today so you could look up that city for location, statistics, weather, etc. Zaruma and Zamora have their similarities, so you might like either.

Zamora is in the Orient about an hour from Loja. Zaruma is about three hours east and north of Loja towards the coast. Of the two, I am much more partial to Zaruma. It is one of only three Heritage cities in Ecuador. The other two are Quito and Cuenca. If you are interested, see if you can find some information on Zaruma and I will tell you what I know of the two soon. I will have to figure out how to share the pictures I have have. Any suggestions? Others may not be that interested in these places, so I can e-mail info and pictures, if that is more suitable. Anyway, I will respond with a little about each within the week. I am glad the picture of where you might want to settle is getting clearer.

Thank you for responding! Get some rest and I look forward to your post!

Take care!
Julie

Julie,

My wife and I are from NE Oklahoma (Green Country) and are planning our first trip to Ecuador in Feb.  We are going to keep our ranch here in Oklahoma and have someone stay in our main house for free while we spend a month in Ecuador.  We, like you certainly like what we hear but want to experience Latin America for awhile.  We had always thought we would end up in San Miguel but Ecuador has our attention.  Please keep us informed as you progress with your plans. John

Thank you so much! I wish you and your wife well. Currently we are looking at the best prices on plane tickets and getting our passport applications going!

Best of luck and maybe we will see you there!
Julie

Hi,
How big is your family, my wife Michelle And I have a three-year-old. We also want to live in Ecuador. We do not have enough money for any type of visa. We have 10 thousand and that's it. We have lived in Cuenca for the last 3 months. Our daughter is in a private school and it costs a whopping $160 a month.i actually know a few people that I made friends with there that offered to sell land. Sale by owner, word of mouth, easy. I could try and link you up. Also if you visit and would like to rent our apartment it is super nice and furnished with all the amenities, wifi,32" flat screen, stereo. Safe in downtown Cuenca.   This is my website.  healthcoachabroad.com       
I am pretty much praying that someone will be kind enough to trust $25000 into a cd here in an Ecuador bank in my name, that will build $200 a year and then after 3 years they can have it back, plus the interest. It's a shitty situation. All we want is to be back there. We simply can not afford to stay in the USA   And we would stay even if we could afford it.
Good luck,  we are running a business when we return. And that could possibly make us the money we need to BUY a visa.    It's so shitty.... Rich get richer poorer get poorer.   Can't win.    To expensive so you need to leave then to leave you need more money.   Poo

I know it will all work out.
Peace

Sorry, needed to correct a typo and could not find an edit button anywhere.
"We simply can not afford to stay in the USA   And we would stay even if we could afford it"

We would NOT stay even if we could afford it.   

Okay

http://bell-academy.edu.ec/
Our daughter LOVES to play with all of the kids from all over the world. She is so happy and socialized and loved at this school. And remember school in Eciador is only half the day. We would NEVER send our daughter to a school is the USA.        Ecuador is not the USA

My husband and I have 2 kids still living at home (our son will be 11 in a few weeks and our daughter is 7) we also have a daughter who is 19, away at college and another son who is 20. The older kids said they may be interested in moving to Ecuador in the future.

We homeschool our kids who are still at home and will continue to do so (probably) when we get down there. We will have to sell our house here before we could even begin to be able to afford plane tickets for everyone. Our oldest son said he wants to buy it but we are not sure if he will be able to get a loan. So we are waiting to see how that pans out.

When we get there we know we want to live in a rural area in the highlands/mountains. I looked at Zamora and it seems nice but we will just have to check it out when we are there.

I know what you mean by the US's financial situation. My husband is on VA disability and SS Disability and its very hard to make it. I think not only our finances would be better down there but the quality of life would be better as well! That's what I look forward to!

Best of luck to you!
Julie

shahlasecret wrote:

When we get there we know we want to live in a rural area in the highlands/mountains. I looked at Zamora and it seems nice but we will just have to check it out when we are there.
Julie

As far as appearance, Zamora, it is relatively nice. The problem with Zamora is that it is in the Orient and therefore very humid and hot. In addition, it is an active gold mining town and can be pretty rough, so to speak. The Ecuadorian family I live with, and I, often go through Zamora on the way to Nambija. Nambija is very rough frontier-type town, where a relative of the family has a goldmine. My Ecuadorian family doesn't like Zamora and won't even stop there to eat. We usually eat in Yantzaza, which is about 40 minutes north of Zamora. It is a really small town, but very nice: beautiful cobblestone streets and clean. Even with its possible downsides, that area is still worth checking out, and only about an hour from Loja.

The distance from Loja to Zamora along E45/50 is filled with mountains that are virtually up or down. Not much room for settling along there. But, you will want to stop at the waterfalls along the way. It is very pretty and you can't miss it. It's on the right-hand side when traveling toward Zamora.

Another place that might be suitable is the Yunguilla Valley, which is a valley south of Cuenca down E35 and then west towards Girón. The weather there is more like Vilcabamba, although it may be a little bit warmer.

A third place is Santo Domingo de los Colorados, which is about two hours west of Quito. This place I know nothing about, but have been told there is sort of a farm belt in that area. Can't verify that though. It is a little over 1800 feet, so there is some elevation. But, it is definitely more tropical than the Andes. It is famous for the Colorados Indians. I personally have been trying to speak with someone who has lived there. I just haven't been able to travel in that area yet. Weather statistics for Ecuador on the web are notoriously inaccurate, so I remain in the dark about even the weather in this area.

Then, there is always Vilcabamba. But, I would suggest looking at Malacatos instead. It is about 15 minutes from Vilcabamba and about 30 minutes from Loja. Yesterday (Sunday), the family was bored. The weather in Loja has been cold and rainy. So we went down to Malacatos to see the grandmother. The weather, in just that short trip, was much improved, both dryer and warmer. Weather-wise, it is not quite as nice as Vilcabamba, but Malacatos is virtually all Ecuadorians so you don't see the cultural difficulties that sometimes appear in Vilcabamba.

The final place I would mention is Zumora. It is about three hours north and west of Loja, located a little less than 4,000 feet elevation. It is one of the friendliest and safest cities in Ecuador and very quaint. It was submitted as a candidate UNESCO World Heritage site for its charm. It is a lovely place to live. I think the population is a bit over 22 thousand. The surrounding land supports banana, sugar cane, and coffee. The coffee grown both here and in Malacatos is very good.

I wish you lots of fun on your visit here and think you will have no problem finding exactly the place that you will want to call home.

Thank you so much for your reply! Zumora sounds like our kind of place! I look forward so much for when we will be able to come down there! It all sounds great!

Is it easy to find a place to rent/buy in that area that isn't in town?
Please let me know, you have been very helpful!

Take Care!
Julie

Is it Zaruma?

Hi whats the word on Zaruma, Loja, Machala Catamayo, Malacatos!!  Any and all info please email [email protected]. we hope to  visit  there Feb 01, 2015 researching for near future relocation on a early Soc Security. Main objective is to assist te local evangelical church, social service organizations and help the community.
Prior military Law Enforcement, Corrections, Chaplain and currently Associate Pastor. Wife is propety mgr, admin, works great with women/ children, compassionate. Both fuly bi-lingual but i guess i'm more of a gringo than she is Lol ja ja
Bless you guys out there with ANY info!! Joe

I haven't posted about this in over a year. Traveled back to the U.S. for medical reasons. May not be able to return. Bummer. But, I would like to clear up the confusion I created over Zaruma and Zamora. I am dyslexic and often write one for the other.

Zamora is a town east of Loja. It is famous for gold and it's huge clock at the foot of the Loma de las Tres Cruces, which covers about 1,600 square feet of slope. I dislike this town immensely: dirty, unfriendly. My family in Ecuador and I just pass through this town (actually just to the south of it) as we travel to San Carlos de las Minas. Visit Zamora if you must, but don't get your expectations up too high. Further east though, there are beautiful hillsides replete with Ecuadorian Orchids. Now, that is beautiful.

Zaruma, on the other hand, may just be my favorite town in Ecuador. The mother of my Ecuadorian family in Loja (long story) is from Zaruma and we visited there often  always spent New Years there. The town runs across the mountain, while most Ecuadorian cities in the Andes are in the valleys. This makes for some incredibly steep roads (like San Francisco, if you are familiar with that city). This is no doubt the safest city in Ecuador. It is small, has very little shopping, but the nicest people you will ever meet. Zaruma is West and North of Loja and pretty isolated. But, you can buy an nice "get-a-way" house only a hour of less from Zaruma for under $10,000. You will probably be surrounded by sugar cane, with is kinda fun actually. Our place was just across the dirt road from a sugar cane processing facility run by a really nice family. Had all the fermented sugar cane liquor you'd want. Shame I don't drink.  If you want a nice adventure, spend a few days in Zaruma. Go by bus from Loja (about a three hour trip, if I remember correctly and I think it was $7).

Now, a note to Joe Tino: Ecuadorians are very tolerant toward religion. They usually don't care what you are, if you prove to be a decent person. But, they are clear in their own faith and don't seek much beyond their own beliefs. They are overwhelmingly Christian, but tend to be conservative and not evangelical. It is good to approach the area of religion with great tolerance. Otherwise, you will find out how Ecuadorians handle conflict. In a nutshell, they don't. They just melt away and avoid you. But, with your background, I am pretty sure you will just jump in and help when you can. That will earn you considerable respect. Then, maybe, you can find your place in their religious community.

Joe, you might really like Malacatos. Very few expats, if any, and a truly beautiful place; albeit a bit expensive. Maybe my second favorite place in Ecuador.

God blesd you greatly for such a prompt reply. Will the steep hills of Zaruma kill my bad back? Is the climate warmer or cplder than Malacatos? Wr are fully bilingual and I will be very careful ad a born again baptist christian and my doctrinal beliefs. I hope to be a police chaplain also and work with at risk families. At 60 yrs old I will rent not purchase anything. Wrll any more on Loja vs Malacatos and Zaruma? Gracias

Joe, There a cabs a plenty in Zaruma, (and most other cities) so you don't need to walk if you don't want to. I never took a cab in Zaruma (the family always had a car), but they are probably 25 cents for in-town travel like in Loja. Just keep your Spanish short so they won't figure that you are American. The gringo price may be a little more.

Weather is like this: Colder in Loja; warmer in Malacatos (great weather, actually), and even warmer in Zaruma, which is at the lowest altitude (I think). Malacatos is only 15 minutes from Vilcabamba, so it has similar weather. But don't be fooled. Weather can be very different just 15 minutes away. You have to do your research. Unfortunately, some of the published weather data on the Internet is wrong, really wrong.

Finally, as I would say to anyone wanting to move to Ecuador, you must visit to understand. Unless you have extensive overseas experience, the conditions in a country and cultural differences can be very different than you imagined. A lot will depend on where you are coming from. If you come from a midwestern farm, you will feel quite different than if you come from a city. Renting is a good idea because it will give you time to adjust and find the place for you. That could take a while and a little experimenting and maybe even a few moves.

Looking for a place to rent or buy is very different than in the U.S. The most efficient plan is to simply go to the place you want to be and start walking around looking for signs (for lease or purchase). There might be a phone number posted, but you may have to just check often until you catch someone there (if it is unoccupied). Business is both informal and slow in Ecuador, so don't get on a tear. Being pushy with Ecuadorians will not get you points (as it is with most countries). You can also check the paper if there is one (there is in Loja) and just ask around. People are usually very happy to help. Just have fun, learn a lot, and you will eventually find what you want. Many rentals come without a stove, refrigerator, or washing machine. So, plan about $1,200 (give or take) to cover that unexpected cost (if you used to U.S. customs). You can also rent furnished, but that is often significantly more. You can get a very large and very nice unfurnished apartment in Loja (where I spend most of my time) for around $300. I think it is cheaper in Zaruma and higher in Malacatos, but truthfully, I haven't checked prices in either.

Dear Joseph K. Again to thank you for all the good and sincere info. In appreciation my wife and i wod love to take you and your family to dinner if you are in town the week of Feb 01, 2015. Are you in any gainfully employed business to help Ex-pats or this is just to help?  I have done some research and your info is very valuable.  I am from NYC , PR Parents and have traveled some in search to see where we will end up.  All we want to do is help.   We believe that God is sovereign and He has a plan for every life.  We have made contacts with 2 pastors and 2 missionaries in Loja and that is exciting. I am guessing that we need about 3-4 yrs but as an investigator i like to start early cheking everything out. Niwif only i can avoid all my typos...LOL.!! It looks like Loja, possibly Malacatos but Zarum look real good  bu it's in the?middle of nowwhere kindof. At my age hope they have a good Full hospital. I hooe to minister tk cops and their families.
Who knows what God is going to do. Well till next time Lord Jesus bless you.,  Pastor/Chaplain Joe 954-579-1599

Joe,

I have returned to the U.S. because of medical issues and do not know if I will be in Loja in February. That brings up the issue you pointed out: health and medical care. Thanks for bringing up so many points that may useful for others. Lately, I have not participated in the blog very much because of many challenges have that leave me little time. But, I will post when I can. No, I am not paid to write. I write because I hope I can help others to make good choices and find the happiness they want and deserve.

Most of the places mentioned have a downside regarding health care. There are U. S. trained doctors in Ecuador, but they tend to cluster around Cuenca. In Zaruma, Malacatos, and Loja (and probably many more cities) good doctors are few and far between. While living in Loja, I had to go to Cuenca for the care I needed. That was about a 6-hr round trip. The hospitals in Loja are notorious for making mistakes, a bit scary. But, like most places, if you look hard enough, you will find a doctor that is competent. The problem is that in an emergency, you will take what is available, and that may not be so good. If you are in need of decent medical care, I would suggest Cuenca. It is, in my opinion, the best choice for people who do not want an Ecuadorian experience (at least, not the challenging part). The majority of Americans may find that these smaller places, especially those with a virtually nonexistent expat community, not to their liking. In those places, you need to speak spanish and you have to accept a life style atypical of what Americans are used to. I don't blame anyone; it is hard to change. And for many, it is just not worth it. It is best to follow the path that brings you joy. For me, Ecuador does bring me joy and I miss this beautiful country and my the family there who "adopted" me. However, everything has a reason, and I will eventually understand what I am to learn from this.

Joseph my prayer is for your peace and health in whatever your trial is. As an imperfect man and minister I am covincedGod loves us. I will always be a student of scripture and hope you search it. I am in south fla if I can be of help. Broward County. Wife and I will visit those places and see what transpires. Healthcare is real important more than Walmart. Volunteering is our passion and the rest is secondary. Climate is important 60 to 80 is great. Zaruma seems very interesting but I will pray for a helicopter LOL. We are fluent in Spanish but mu Gringo always shows. If Ecuador is not it then I have to Push for Panama as the safest country. El Valle de Anton, Coronado, Boqute may have to do. So sad but US is in trouble in many ways and I cant afford retirement at say 63 or 64 y.o   keep me posted. Bendiciones.joe

Joseph K: I too am in the States currently for medical reasons, and hope to return soon to Quito. I hope you are doing well.

I'll add another medical thing for expats to consider -- if your Spanish is limited, you may have a difficult time explaining symptoms and other issues. Yes, it's not too difficult to find English-speaking doctors (especially in a big city like Quito). Mine was excellent (though pricey by Ecuadorian standards). But what about nurses, lab techs, etc? If you're in a hospital and having a problem at 4am, do you want to try to explain things through sign language and a few words of Spanish?

All the more reason to improve your language skills, of course, but also something to think about while your skills are limited.