Is Ecuador a Good Place For a Single 60-Year Old Woman?

Sue,
Thanks for clarifying your comments. I now better understand what you were saying. I saw the focus of the question on racism and prejudice on a broader scale and that is part of the misunderstanding. Racism and prejudice are really complicated, in part because of the cultural bias that can be missed by people outside that culture. One thing I have constantly emphasized in this forum is the extent to which non-Ecuadorians miss the subtlety of the culture  and will still argue they "understand" or believe that their objections are valid because they would be valid in their culture. Here is a case where subjective applies; many cultural views are, in fact, subjective (i.e. an outcome of the culture's uniqueness).

I also objected to the blanket statement that blacks and Asians will probably not experience racism here. That is just irresponsible because one cannot know what might happen or what one might subjectively experience (your point, I think). No reason to beat this to death; the point has been made. Racism and prejudice exist everywhere, But I can't help saying, "Mostly, Ecuadorians are really, really nice people." Anyone know where I can get a bumper sticker that says: I heart Ecuadorians?

Bet you could find some graphic designer or silk screen artist to do it, on a tee shirt.

Hi Everyone..... I have been looking around for information on moving to Ecuador as well.  I am a single woman that will be turning 62 in November this year.  I also am wanting to move to Ecuador thinking of Bahia de Cara Quez any information about moving there that would be helpful please forward on to me. Hope to move there by June of 2015 at the latest.  I have lived in the US all my life.  I lived in Arkansas for a year and the rest of my life I have lived in Louisiana.  Just ready to move and relax and enjoy the remaining years.  My email  is
[email protected]

cassie

cjguidry wrote:

I also am wanting to move to Ecuador thinking of Bahia de Cara Quez any information about moving there that would be helpful please forward on to me. Hope to move there by June of 2015 at the latest.  I have lived in the US all my life.  I lived in Arkansas for a year and the rest of my life I have lived in Louisiana.  Just ready to move and relax and enjoy the remaining years.  My email  is
[email protected]

cassie

Hi Cassie,

Just wanted to say hello!  I'm Joanne, and am planning on moving to Ecuador in Spring/Summer of 2015.

Hi Joanne....thanks for the reply. Where are you going to be moving from and where to?   I assume the first step would be to get a visa.

cassie

Hey there Cassie,

I'm in Wichita, KS.  Not planning on moving until late next year, still need to finish my MA.  I will probably settle in the Cotacochi / Ibarra area.  About two hours north of Quito.

You get your first tourist visa when you enter Ecuador.  Then you can stay for 90 days. During that time you can then apply for residence.

Here's a good link that explains the process.  http://www.ecuador.org/nuevosite/Req_Visas_Inmigrante_e.php

Thanks for the info.  I will check it out.  There is just so much to do to get this process started.  Just want to hopefully make the right choice.  Plan to go to check things out first but don't feel I will be able to spend more than a couple of weeks.  Hoping it will give me enough time to get a feel of where I would like be happy moving to.

cassie

You're so welcome. More than likely I will be going into Ecuador without ever having made a visit.  Which is exciting and scary at the same time.  That could change though if the job I applied for comes through, and I'm able to bank some cash.

Good Luck ! :)

I am a retired single and have been living in Cuenca Ecuador for the last two years. When I came here I could not speak any Spanish, but now I can get along.(Barely)

The people here are very nice and helpful . Moneywise......you will be fine with $ 1400,00 as long as you keep the visits to the pub a "once in a while" event.

Apartments run anywhere from $ 200.00 to $800.00.
I have a 1 bedroom Casita, furnished with a nice yard, all utilities included....for $ 390.00.

If I can find them....you can.

If you need some more info, please feel comfortable to ask me.

Paul Roozen
[email protected]

Hi, Barbara,
Would it be possible to PM me --that is mostly what I am doing now. I would love to share some of my experiences here in Cuenca with you.

(moderated: please post in the jobs section)

I for sure understand what you mean about enjoying the remaining years. I am here in Cuenca and know this is the place to do it--at least that is what I think now. And we only have --now.

Since you are here in CUE, maybe we can meet? azuay65 at gmail dot com
regina

You can rent a nice place for $400 to $300 per month. Having told you that, they are hard to find because there are no realetors with "multiple listings." My wife and I own several rentals and when we want to buy another, it is necessary for us to drive around and look for signs in the Windows. that is a time-consuming process, but the only one we know of. Quito is easy to get around in because the city is long and narrow, with many buses going the long way. Once you know your routes and the lines, transportation is cheap (twenty five cents for you) in town. Taxi's start at 35 cents! South American Explorers and InterNations are good spots to advertise and meet others.

I am also a 60 something single woman. Am relocating to Cuenca in a few weeks
Have been in touch with several women in similar position and couples as well.  I have decided ( for good or ill) that it was time to just make the decision and do it.  Also thought about it for about 2 years. Time to live the adventure instead very of just dreaming about it

Good for you! .. There is a website called gringo post... It is very helpful, you can post your questions.. Places for rent are advertised...etc... U. Welcome to email me in advance on freemail81 at hush dot come if u like... My daughter and i have rcently moved to C

Best wishes, Olga

Make plans to visit Cuenca and we can meet when you arrive. Contact me at azuay65 at gmail dot com
regina

Hi--Just a heads up. Be careful of people who welcome you and suggest getting together when you are here. Some people can be very negative and off putting. Also, unfortunately, outspoken, opinionated and quite rude.

I have found everyone whom I have met in Cuenca to be kind and helpful--Gringos and Ecuadorians alike.  Obviously, everyone has their own experience and opinion.

So true--for the most part you are very right. However there are some who think they know a lot just because they have lived here a long time and they can be annoying. Just saying-----

Fantastic to see that there are adventurous single ladies (and gentlemen) planning on going to Ecuador or already there.
I am well integrated here in Spain, with an active social life, however am ready to explore a new country and Ecuador seems to be ticking the boxes. I am at the researching and planning stage and hope to be there Spring 2015. So far Loja and Cuenca are drawing me in but am open to suggestions. I may do a general organised tour firstly to get an overall idea. Then I´d be looking for a small comfortable apartment to rent, probably trying out two or more places.
I have taken on board the advice given on the forum. It would be great to hear updates from you wonderful people! :)

i wanted to offer my 2 cents: just moved from Cuenca to Vilcabamba.. Cuenca has a lot going on... lots of North Americans and europeans.. i met a number of wonderful people... but having lived in Paris, London, NY, SF, LA... i just could not enjoy it...for me it still was third wolrdy.....and hard to really assimilate because of my less that basic Spanish... so i moved to the nature... just discovering .. there is a large expat network here... some problems exist... some robberies... but i rented a place from a respected Ecuadorian family.. safe.. stunning... Heaven... loving it... Loja .. just beginning to discover... free classical music performances.. i have not been to any yet ( only 9 days here )... some fabulous restaurants... ( delicious ! after Monte Carlo... best pizza i have had ! ).. .. wishing u best

Thank you OGA1 for prompt reply. Would love to hear how you settle in Vilcabamba and if Loja lives up to its reputation of being a very clean and cultural place!
Priorities for me are good climate, security, value for money, easy to get about without a car, friendly supportive community (locals and expats), proximity to lots of activities. And if there are single men looking for a dance partner....well that may well be the icing on the cake!!
Good to know there are so many adventurous ladies out in the world!

Climate in vilcabmba is amazing, gentle, sunny.. pleasant... Loja even though only 40 min drive... is noticeably colder.
There have been several robberies in Vilcabmba recently.. so one needs to chose a place carefully... rentals... prices range from $180-$1000 for a nice place. There some nice apartments, about $400. Organic market on Sat, and regular market on sundays.. amazing how many expats show up! Astonishing !Single men.. not sure... i believe there are some..
May be for dancing and activites Cuenca is better. I do not know.
While i have heard about music traditions in Loja, i have not yet been to a concert... cannot comment... i have a feeling there is a lot available but my lack of reasonable Spanish will hold me back from discovering it nless some kind soul informs me... there is a kind soul.. but so far he did not send me anything about any concerts... sorry about limited information.. I imagine you know about www.gringopost.com... where lots of information is available about Cuenca... and u can post any quetions about any town
best

Hi all
Lovely to read your informative blog. I am currently planning an exploratory visit to Ecuador this Spring/Summer. I am Scottish,sixty years young,  single, retired early to Spain 12 years ago and now have itchy feet to try some other Spanish speaking country. Ecuador comes out top in a list of countries to retire to. Security, cleanliness, friendliness, good all year round weather and lots of activities would be on my "must have" list. Am finding flight costs from Europe excessively high! Thought I´d look for a group tour leaving from Spain with flight included (works out cheaper than booking separately) then just stay on in Ecuador at the end of the tour. I´ll have 90 days to try some places and currently Cuenca and Loja are intriguing me. Would be great to hear from single women or single men who are living the life there. Any Scots there? (There are loads of us in Spain! Thank you.

scottishlassinspain wrote:

I am Scottish, sixty years young,  single, retired early to Spain 12 years ago....Security, cleanliness, friendliness, good all year round weather and lots of activities would be on my "must have" list....Would be great to hear from single women or single men who are living the life there. Any Scots there?

I predict that security, mild weather and lots of activities are in your future, Lass, if you choose Cuenca.

The calender of Expat-friendly activities in Cuenca cannot be rivaled in any other place in the Land of the Sun, not even in the capital.  Cuenca is widely acknowledged as one of the hottest -- if not THE hottest -- destination(s) for re-locating Expats in South America.   And it's been that way for years.

I don't recall ever meeting any Scots in Ecuador.  But there's plenty of folks from the UK and the rest of Europe who come through or live in EC.

cccmedia in Quito

cccmedia. thank you for reply. That´s interesting about air quality..this is important. I shall check out Cuenca activites. Who knows we might bump in to each other..I sing, play guitar and act! lol.

Hi,   how do you feel about the safety issues as a single expat in Ecuador?  I'm planning to retire there, but this is the major concern.   I don't speak Spanish yet.  HMF Frank and Angie's discover Ecuador,  mentioned that he wouldn't recommend woman retiring in Ecuador alone.  I would appreciate your reality comments on this.   thanks.  grace

Hi. I am 58, alone with vaccine injured daughter, we lived in the country side outside Quito, in Quito, in Cuenca, now in Vilcabamba... I have never felt threatened once.
Use common sense... Do not walk after dark, stay in nice areas of town.. Be aware, u are in a different culture that u do not know...

Would love to hear from the ladies who mentioned they were moving to Cuenca. How is life there for us singles? I will be arriving in Cuenca around the 16th of April and looking for a studio for about 2 weeks. Or it could be a room with own bathroom within a house. I´m a Spanish speaker. Love dancing, drama, singing, natural health, walking, exploring, esoteric ideas.
Any tips welcome. Thank you
Wilma :)

Hello.  I am also a single woman moving to Ecuador.   I am 57 and moving to the coast where there are many expats.  Have you moved already.  If not we could talk on phone..  Ruth

Moderated by Priscilla
Reason : do not post your phone number on the forum

I understand it is safe.  I have decided to move as well in approximately 2 years.  I am moving to the coast.  I have been three times so i am no expert but I do love it.

Hi,Wilma

Are uou familair with gringopost.com ? It is a cuneca website where expat post  all kinds of announcements.. U may find it useful.

Best, Olga

Hi all I spent a month exploring Ecuador north to south (not the coast as it would be too hot). I preferred Cuenca and could live there.
Disappointed in general with the cleanliness standards throughout Ecuador. Some pretty countryside but spoiled by the unkempt towns etc.
Was robbed in Quito...ten hours spent with police (thief sentenced and camera recovered). Experience put me off as I feel safe in Spain to walk around at any time of night.
Spanish essential to make best of being there. I cut short my trip. Yes Cuenca is very sociable for expats and I met great people and got involved in activities. Lots of adventurous single women.
Overall I was happy to return to Spain but sorry to leave behind the interesting people.

Safety is a difficult subject to address because of many factors: specific location, behavior, vulnerability, individual attitudes, awareness, appearance, and even more. I think I wrote several things about safety in this blog quite a while ago. However, personal experience is only part of story because we are all so different. Statistics are both factual and useful if not abused.

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-inf … ates/Crime

The site above is remarkable for the breadth of its statistical information and multiple categories, not just crime. To those so disposed, this site may be quite informative. The information is extensive. The link provided shows you a comparison of Ecuador to the U.S. Under the categories listings in the green band at the top is a plethora of other choices by country.  Here is a tip to help you find things. If you are viewing a list of all the countries, you can depress CTRL-F which will open a small box (usually at the top, right or left depending on the browser) where you can type in the country. If you are not immediately taken to the country statistic, click on the Next button (or down arrow) to begin the search. This eliminates the pain of scrolling the long list. Have fun.

Of course, crime stats, particularly on public sites, are not always the whole truth.  They can be - shall we say - massaged before publication.  Nor do they reflect the difficulty in reporting a crime and how much crimes are not reported because of fear of the perpetrators. 

Not saying the stat site has no value.  Just a part of the story...

Am quite curious about the circumstances of the robbery if the lassie feels like sharing

I certainly agree; statistics are just part of a larger story of crime. Still, the many other statistics are quite interesting (culture, cost of living, education, and so on). My experience in Ecuador has been crime-free and only once was I worried. I had just arrived and was in Guayaquil when all those cab robberies were taking place (happened in Loja a few time too). I took private cabs that were recommended and had no problems. My experience was much better than the statistics report.

I was fortunate to have been invited to live with a family in Loja. While I was living with them (a couple of years), the son and his wife experienced two incidents of crime. The Streets in Loja are usually packed with pedestrians, but this was on a Sunday and very few people were around (typical for Sunday). The son was approached by respectable looking man (late twenties) who showed a knife and demanded his and his wife's money. They only had three dollars and promptly offered it. The man took it, walked away, and that was it. They didn't report it. In the second incident, the wife was using her iPhone in public. Without thinking, when she was finished talking, she just dropped it into a wide pocked in her jacket. When she got home, it was gone. AFAIK, pickpocketing is one of the most common complaints in Loja. Second might be crimes of opportunity. In this regard, I would stay out of the area about a kilometer or so north and west of the Terminal Terrestre (main bus station), especially on foot. I have walked there, but was told it was not safe. BTW, My favorite casual hike is south east through Huayco Zamora following the Rio Malacatos. Once you reach the North East end of Huayco Zamora there is a dirt trail you can follow. It is beautiful and you might even find wild orchids along the way. They'll be on the edge of the river (which is only three feet wide). It goes for miles. I typically took three hours for that trip. I certainly never thought of crime along that route.

Joseph K wrote:

I had just arrived and was in Guayaquil when all those cab robberies were taking place (happened in Loja a few time too). I took private cabs that were recommended and had no problems. My experience was much better than the statistics* report.

Joseph was smart to screen his rides.

For the past six months if I'm trying for a taxi on the street, my key indicator has been the license plates.  If they're not legal plates, I wave the taxista on, and get another cab.  (At night, if the cab is approaching at over 40 m.p.h., you often cannot tell the color of the plates until you have already signaled for a ride.)

Legal plates have an orange background or a white background with an orange strip on top.

Last month I met a taxista who objected to my method, outside MegaMaxi.  Although I had told the store's mozo I wanted a legal taxi, he waved down one with all-white plates.

When the driver exited his cab and confronted me about why I didn't want to ride with him, I explained the plates weren't legal.  He cursed at me vehemently as he re-entered the cab and drove off.

If a similar situation presented, I would back off and avoid engaging the driver. 

But what I won't do is get into a cab with plates that are not legal.

cccmedia in Quito

*In Guayaquil in 2012, there were 510 cases of secuestro exprés robberies of this nature in the first 10.5 months of the year.  (Source:  Diálogo).  Statistics from Quito and other EC cities for this crime have historically been much lower than Guayaquil's.  Typically, a criminal taxista, often working with accomplice(s), perpetrates this crime by driving the victim to ATM's and forcing him/her into withdrawing cash up to a daily limit.