Looking to move to Cotacochi/Ibarra by the end of 2015

Hi All,

My name is Joanne, and I'm looking to move to Cotacochi/Ibarra by the end of 2015, if everything works out as planned. Right now I am finishing up a Master's Degree, and will defend my thesis in January.  I thought about coming on a pensioner's visa, but have been told that with my MA, I'll qualify for a professional visa, which will allow me to work a bit.

So where are you now and have you any thoughts about Cuenca?

Barbara Suderman wrote:

So where are you now and have you any thoughts about Cuenca?

Hi Barbara,

I'm in Wichita, KS.  Cuenca looks like a lovely city but I'm looking more for a quiet, small town atmosphere. I'm not sure that I want to live in a large city again.

I am from Calgary, Canada and consider myself more of an urban dweller. So I guess even though Cuenca is large--it isn't as big as Calgary--is it?--One million or more?

I think it's about 500,000.

That's a nice size--good for me anyhow. Thanks, Joanne!

You're welcome! :D

According to Wikipedia, Cuenca has about 300,000 in the city and 600,000 in the metro -- almost exactly the same as Joanne's Wichita. That seems mid-sized to me, but we all are looking for different things.

Ibarra has about 140,000 in the city and 180,000 in the metro. There were no numbers for Cotacachi, but I believe, from other things I've read or heard, that it is a good deal smaller.

Hey Bob,

Cotacachi is a much smaller, I think it's around 20,000.  The nice thing is Ibarra is only 20 minutes so even a grocery run wouldn't be a daunting task.  I'm looking for a much simpler life, a place to write, knit, and garden, and Cotacachi seems to check all those boxes.

Sounds  like a very nice place --would you be there on your own. By the way do you have the operating system Windows 8 by any chance. I am now trying to configure the way to  make a question mark. I am a true social person and if it were not for any reason to not work out for me here--I would be heading to New Zealand perhaps where I have family. I also have family in Canada of course but as with many families --there are issues.

Hi, Sue,
Have we been in touch--are you in Quito--I may have exchanged e-mails before --there are so many to go through--but I am here in Cumbaya now and am  re-locating to Cuenca as I am unhappy in this place I am in. I didn't have the time to get to Quito and frankly the size scared me for living there.

I do have Windows 8 ... but not a touchscreen (which I appreciate more than you know.)  Is this the question mark you're talking about?  ( ¿ )  The easiest way I know to do that is to hold down the the alt key and then type 168.  When you release the alt key, you should see the symbol.  You can also go through the control panel and actually set up a Spanish keyboard, if you're going to need to type in Spanish on a regular basis.  They can then be switched back and forth.

There are about 800 expats in Cotacachi, but I'll be coming by myself-- that is--if you don't count my dog. I've been on my own for over 20 years now, and the idea of moving this far is scary and exhilarating at the same time.

Hi Joanne,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Thank you for your introduction.

I have created a new topic as from your post on the Ecuador forum for a better visibility ;)

Gee-- I sure wish you were able to make it sooner but when I am settled in Cuenca --I will invite you to come for a visit. You seem to be a kindred soul for what I know of you so far. You are right about the scary and also being exhilarating thing. It sure makes you feel alive! I wanted that feeling in my last years on this planet as much as I have had throughout most of my life. To suck the most out of life and also give what I can--I don't want to leave this earth with that awful question--is that all there is--oops no question mark available. No the one I am looking for is the one that is the English one just above the 6 on my keyboard.
Sure nice to be in touch with you!

Christine wrote:

Hi Joanne,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Thanks Christine!  Glad to be here.  :D

Thanks Barbara.  We are kindred spirits!   I wish it could be sooner also.  If it wasn't for finishing up this MA, I'd leave tomorrow ... but it is the key to unlocking permanent residency, so I better "get 'er done" as they say!  Sometime next spring I'll be taking a TEFL course somewhere to help increase my job chances.   

I have a ^ above the six on my keyboard.  Sorry not to be more of a help with that.  I'm going to send you a PM in a minute.

Hi Barbara-

Were you able to get out of the lease? When are you going to Cuenca?

I haven't talked to them about that yet but I know there will be some agreement about it because of the issues experienced here. I am hopeful that they will meet me halfway with the DD and perhaps purchase a few items as well. Like my bed which was only used for a month. We will see--as soon as I nail down my accommodation in Cuenca--I will be leaving for Cuenca--likely Monday.

Hope it works out

Me too--I need a bit of luck right now --but don't we all!

Everything usually does work out. Just be really careful getting a place in Cuenca. Make sure it's realistic for you and what you want. You sound like you need to be close to the action and near other expats

I think a life lesson here is being careful for sure--but sometimes it is a hope and a prayer after doing all possible --working with what you know and what you have. When you say be careful about Cuenca--do you have some concerns that you know about that maybe you could share--thanks, Sue!!!

No concerns, never been there. Just make sure you talk with other expats. It's a big city. You need all the info you can get from people that live there and have made a go of it. "Be careful" in that you have to think about what's important to you- things you can live with and things you can't live without. It's all a trade off. No place is perfect. My two cents for what it's worth

For sure--Sue--big cities--no problem for the most part. Calgary where I am from in Canada--is over 1 million now and growing. One reason to relocate along with many others. I mean reasons.
No--big cities are sure not the same but 500,000 is do-able. I know it is a reasonably large city but it also has what I want in life. As you said --there are trade offs--actually here--I have had to trade off a lot in just personal comfort level--physically and emotionally. I am looking for the thing I got in return--could it have been the rota virus? just a touch of humour there. I am a careful cookie and yet sometimes I can be thrown off by little things and or easily swayed. I know me by now and yet darn it--I still can get sucked in. I sure am on alert now --boy oh boy--after all that has happened here. Whew!

Thanks, Bob,
Any insights into Cuenca life?

Have you looked at the Otavalo/Ibarra area? Cuenca is cold! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QsvM9iJIdA

I just watched a number of videos from Andy, the HoboTraveler (https://www.youtube.com/user/HoboTraveler) and I must say they were very eye-opening. He covers everything from visas to the climate. He does a very in-depth analysis of the difference in climate between Vilcabamba and Cuenca. More rainfall and colder temps in Cuenca.

If you've been reading the posts from Melody and Doug as they travel around, Melody stated that there is no such thing as "clear blue skies" in Ecuador; however, the skies in Vilcabamba were perfectly blue. For me anyway, the temperatures look ideal, year round. I may have to change my planned destination from Otavalo.

Not for a Canadian.

ChecMark wrote:

I just watched a number of videos from Andy, the HoboTraveler

Thanks for the link.  I watched several videos and bookmarked his website.  The man seems to have a good head on his shoulders.  He's out to make money, but he's very upfront about it, which is refreshing compared to most of the travel and retirement grifters out there.  I had to laugh at his take on the all the wackos fleeing America to escape imaginary conspiracies.

LeftClique wrote:

He's out to make money, but he's very upfront about it, which is refreshing compared to most of the travel and retirement grifters out there.

Most of us are able to tell if somebody is trying to make money without it being announced publicly.

There may be 800 expats who BOUGHT in Cotacachi, but most seem to be invisible. The to town is very pleasant but the condo complexes in the area feel like small gated ghost towns. If what you are looking for is cheaper living in where you can hang out at a bar with a few other white haired expats, Cotacachi might be a good fit. I would suggest that anyone thinking about moving ANYWHERE rent a place for a few months, learn Spanish, and travel around to find what feels like the right place for you. I lived near Otavalo for 6 years on a retiree visa. There are numerous other places nearby that appealed more to me. I had all-too-much contact with the Ecuadorian legal 'system' including numerous 'lawyers' who seemed unable or unwilling to deal with the most simple of matters in a rational fashion. Of course, the US is no great model of a just legal system, but it takes a lot more money in the US to buy your way.

After traveling and researching 6 different areas in Ecuador (Cuenca, the Coast, Otavallo, Guayaquil, Quito, and Cotacachi) we settled on Cotacachi. It is charming and small-town like. Very beautiful and quiet, yet everything you need is quite close. I don't know about the professional visa, but I am sure there are others that do. Good luck.

I live on a small farm near Cotacachi just on the outskirts of Quiroga.  We lived in Manhattan Kansas before moving here 3 years ago. We actually brought 25 dogs here with us including 5 English Mastiffs There is another couple here from Abilene Kansas.

And you are doing well?? how did you manage to do that and stay sane? I found it awfully stressful and very expensive bringing my three dogs and a cat from Canada. Hats off to you!

emaw wrote:

I live on a small farm near Cotacachi just on the outskirts of Quiroga....We actually brought 25 dogs here with us including 5 English Mastiffs.

Just wondering what was the experience of bringing in 25 dogs to Ecuador...and what did it cost.

Holy cow, 25 dogs?! That's amazingly, impressively insane! We're looking into the ways to bring our ONE dog over and I'm almost overwhelmed! Kudos to y'all :)

Whenever we make it out there we'll have to look you guys up and have a hound-y get together! :)

Yes--It is possible--but wow --hats off again to you folks who think about your animals and care so much! Bravo!

Those are both very nice cities.