Travel or live in Kyrgyzstan

Hi everyone!

I am currently expatriate in Kyrgyzstan (amazing country) and I make this post for all lovers of Central Asia!

If you have any questions about the country, culture or another I will get back to you (if possible)

I am currently doing and internship for a very good local travel agency (travel or expatriation), you can send me a message so I can give you more information or just the website (in Russian, and English kyrgyz).

Do not hesitate!

Julie

Hi and welcome to Expat.com Julie!

Maybe you could tell us how your expatriate life is going so far ;)
Thanks for proposing your help!

Regards
Armand

Hi! Thank you!

I do not know what to say haha except that everything is great! It is not new for me to live in Asia ( i used to live like 2 years in China), and Kyrgyzstan is really a beautiful country and culturally very interesting! But for the moment I do not speak russian so it makes everything a little bit more complicated but also funnier and hopefully I am not alone :). If there are other expatriates in KG on the blog they could tell you how amazing the country is!!

I hope a lot of people will be interested in this region of the world :)

Because Kyrgyzstan has today the most democratic politic, news freeness, most corrupted police but leaving foreigners quiet, occidental life style and administrative organization, all kind of food except Swiss restaurant, but enough cheese to make your fondue at home, it's easy to live. As Julie said, multi-cultural people make the country very interesting. And if you are a nature lover, it's just a virgin paradise!

Hello Julie,

How are you? I am interested in studying in KZ. I am not sure what to expect as far as safety, weather, people etc. Can you tell me how is it there? Is there any bias against foreigners  or particularly Westerners? And about students, is it safe to study in Osh? Are Christians welcome and free to express their belief?

I understand it is predominantly muslim county, is that a problem for Christians living in Osh?

Is it safe at night?

Hope to hear from you soon,

Luc

Och is still not safe, nothing specially against Christian. Kyrgyz are not very muslim, or not very praticant. But I will advice you to study in Bishkek. It's more safe. But, personnally, I'm not feeling unsecure in Och.

Thank you so much for your reply. What did you mean still not safe? Can you be more specific. I mean do people mug at times or break in the houses? Actually the school I found that accepts me based on their curricula is in Osh. I would prefer Bishtek. I had contacted them several times I did not get a reply. Are there many Americans who live in Osh? Are their many Christian churches in Osh?

Thank you so much for your input because I did not have any other source to get information from.

Al

not safe, it means that you may not walk alone during the night. Also you may not live in Uzbek rayon of the town (South of the town). There are American from Peace Corps and USaid. I don't know about church, but should be one, Slavian Orthodox Church.

Hello,

Nice thread

I am willing to visit Bishkek some time around end July.

I shall stay for 1 week.

Any idea about day trips (and I mean leaving in the morning and returning the same evening) to any close by interesting location where one could see the traditional tents and the lifestyle ?

Any lakes close by to Bishkek ?

And how much time is needed ?

Thanks and regards

You can join the Issyk Kul lake in one day (it takes 3 hours drive on way), but don't go to Cholpon Ata, it will be too far in one day. A bit nearer is the fantastic valley of Chong Kemin, and near also the Konorchek canyon (2 hours drive on way).
You can also visit the Shamshi valley on the Great Silk Road (2h drive), Kegeti valley and the mountain lake "Koel Tor" (1,5 hours drive, 2 hours walk one way, Issyk Ata valley with open hot pool with atomic water (1,5 h by car), Alamedin valley with inside pool with hot mineral water (45 min. drive), Ala Archa valley as National park (45 min. drive), Sukuluk valley (1hour drive).

In each valley, you can walk how much you desire, most of these valleys need 2 days walk to join the pass at the end of the valley.

Hello!

Hi there,

You may travel in KG, it's very nice country.

Hi all,

Please note that this forum is a year old. :)

Feel free to create a new topic on the Kyrgyzstan forum.

Thank you,

David.

hey

Hi punty,

Why don't you start your own topic and ask your questions on the Kyrgyzstan forum. Members could try to help you.

Thank you,
Christine

thanks chris