Introduce yourself HERE!

Hi, my name is Tony.  I am 34 years old and recently single. I have no children.  I was married once when I lived in Brazil.  But I was younger and that was a mistake.  I am not retired as of yet  :(  .  I am from Canada.  I am a professional bodybuilder and part-time fitness magazine model.  I would say I live at least 6 months out of the year in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.  I have been here for the last 10 years.  There are some things I love about being here and some I do not. But overall it is pretty good and I prefer living here as opposed to live in Canada in the winter time.  I travel a lot for my career and I have lived in other countries for a short time in Latin America so I am very experienced when it comes to Latin America.  I am blessed enough to have the choice to live anywhere in the world.  I picked Dominican Republic 10 years ago and I do not regret that choice.  So, for me the DR has a special place in my heart. My experience of Latin America has recently led me to create a popular Latin dating site.

Hi Tony, welcome to the forums!!! I too am in Santo Domingo and i love it.

We look forward to your comments on the various threads, weigh in whenever you like.

Tony let me add my welcome. We are located on the north coast between Sosua and Cabarete and have been here full time for 8 years. We have not looked back for a second.

Bob K

Hello ! I live in canada but I have a boyfriend in puerto plata I am looking to rent for about a month or 2 for around $400 a month in a safe area can anyone help me out also would like a 2 bedroom . Thank you Tara

Hi Tara.  There are lots of possibilities, you are really looking for tourist housing or rentals.  I will have someone message you.

What hotel does he work at and do you need to be near that  hotel?

Can he do some leg work for  you as far as looking goes?

Bob K

Hi, My name it's daisy, I lived in Puerto Rico for many years, then moved to Pennsylvania.
Next year I graduate from collage. I went to many places for the past few year.
I worked on the transportation industry for 10 years so, I had the opportunity of travel a lot.
That's one of my passions.  I went to D.R last year and the year before and I love it.
The people are real not fake.  you can easy make friends and have conversations with them.
The live in U.S.A it's huge different compare with Latin America.
Of course I grow up in Puerto Rico beautiful island, beaches. I am serious considered to move to D.R
but I need to know what opportunity are for jobs and the cost or living.
I thinking o established my own business. I want to get old in a place like D.R surrounds for beaches, the forest,
of course the delicious food and the music.I need to know or from where start, average money you
need to establish or started until I find a job. Thank you

Hi, bob thank you for your sincerely friendship offer.  I am looking forward to move next year to D.R with my daughter
she wants to attend school there. She is 18. I live in Puerto Rico then moved to  Pennsylvania. But I always love the
tropical climate I appreciate any advice or help from you.

Thanks
Daisy

Welcome Daisy. For one person to live a reasonable life in DR you ned about $1200 to 1500 a month minimum. Finding work will be tough and not many jobs will pay anywhere near this amount of money a month.

I dont want to discourage you but i want to be realistic.

Planner is giving you good information. Working here to support your self and daughter will be hard and to do so legally you need to have your cedula and residency here.

As to education you daughter will get a much better college education in the US or Puerto Rico then here.  Schooling here is a bit of a joke, but improving.....slightly.

BObK

Great thank you

Thank you for your response, So when people moved from U.S.A to D.R how they can afford the cost of living.
I know some people live from retire benefits, how about the rest. What business are good to establish there.
to make enough money to live as middle class.  I know people there work too many hours to support their
families, but also I know a lot of people live good there. Give me some tips.I don't have little kids to support
my daughter it's 18. I meet a girl on D.R and she told me that the liquor/beers business it's really good
there. She said it's called the cold room or some like that.Or for example how was your transaction to D.R
and how you succeed.

Thanks

Princess
A good percentage of those that relocate here are retired and have funds saved so don't need to work.  Many that need to work and make a "decent" wage actually work for their original companies or new jobs online and not earning money "here".  Those that need to work here and are successful do so in the tourist industry, professional jobs (working for large companies), own or buy a on going business.  Starting a new business is very hard and there are lots of hoops to jump through. The first of which is to get you residency and cedula.  Beer business can be found on every corner and NOT a way to make a living.

To get an idea you should plan on coming here and spending a few months "living" here and see if it fits and where you fit in as far as wage earning.

DO NOT mover here for a woman.

Good luck

Bob K

It is not easy to open a business here -  and if you even think of opening a business connected with alcohol you will have huge  challenges and hoops to jump thru.  I do business consulting - you will deal with extra legal issues as well as day to day issues.  As a foreigner there are some business concepts we need to stay away from.  Alcohol related items are one of them, the other is loaning money or borrowing money!  both are full of HUGE issues.

Yes you can come here and open a successful business. It takes MONEY, cultural knowledge, Spanish language skills and BUSINESS knowledge.

Looking for rental right in puerto plata thanks

Hi!
I am Selen, I just got here to Santo Domingo almost 3 weeks ago.
I am 27 years old, I used to live in Cancun Mexico before I got here.
I am pastry, bakery and international cuisine chef, and not practicing my profession.
I have a job for a while, trying to do import-export assistance. for a while! :)
I wish I can make new strong friendships by this blog, and meet up sometimes for coffee and some nice chat.
Have a lovely weekend!

Selen welcome to the forum.  I am sure Planner will be along shortly to "chat" with you as she is a long time resident of the DR and lives in Santo Domingo.  She certainly knows the ropes and the ins and outs of SD.

We are on the north coast so if you find your self visiting this end of the island let us know. 

Again welcome and we look forward to your contributions as well as your reports on moving here.

Bob K

Hi! My name is Debby and I live in the Okanagan Valley in beautiful British Columbia, Canada. I've been to the Dominican Republic only once but instantly fell in love with it and the people. We stayed at an all inclusive (Puerto Plata) but were really hardly ever there. The thought of travelling to another country and not actually SEEING the country just didn't make sense to me. I really loved Sosua!
I will be taking an early retirement in 4 years and am thinking what I would like to do. I realized that I could take an extended trip to DR and see if I think I could make a go of it there...why not!?
I've been reading some of the posts with info for expats with great interest.  For one, when I do make a trip down there to check things out, I will have some expat connections to bounce things off of.
That's about it I guess. I will keep checking in and learning from experience :cool:

Welcome Debby!!!! I lived in BC (Victoria) for 23 years and visited the Okanagan often!   I too love the DR,  so we share a passion. 

Yes why not here????  You should do lots of reading here on the forums and then ask any questions you want.  Feel free to start threads or add to ones already  working! 

You should look forward to  coming for several visits before you retire!

That's too funny...I'm originally from Victoria! Small world!
I will definitely be following and ask if I need to know something. Thanks for the welcome :)

Debbie welcome and the DR is a great place to retire if the country "fits" for you.

We took early retirement and came here on a full time basis 8 years ago.  We have built a villa in the Sosua/Cabarete area and have not looked back for a second..

Keep asking questions and we will be happy to help

Bob K

Thanks Bob,
I have only been to the DR once but fell in love with it and it's people. Having said that, it will be invaluable to have an expat connection for support and info on the ins and outs of living in the DR!

The folks on this board have lots of information to share.  Feel free to ask away.

Bob K

Welcome aboard Debby!
There's room for a few more Canadians here on this
beautiful island with the fantastic people already here.

I can't wait to plan my next trip...unfortunately it will have to wait until 2016 as we are headed to Zihuatanejo, MX this January with my sister and brother-in-law. (My sister has been after me to go to Mexico for a long time).

Eventually you will get back here! No worries.

Bob, just for your knowledge. Any disable person can get SS before the age of 65 and also the medicare  part A and B :)www.ssa.gov

Yes I knew that.

Bob K

Hi Lydia!
Welcome aboard!
There are a lot of better places in
the DR than Punta Cana.
A lot cheaper too.
Punta Cana is 100% tourist oriented.
The prices reflect that.
Read some of the other posts here.
Good luck! :)

Welcome Lydia,
Tomas is correct that Punta Cana is pure tourism with very little true "Dominican Republic" to it and prices are very high there.  You will not find many expats in the area as we tend to live away from the "hotel, tourist zone of PC. 

I would suggest that you come down for a couple of months and explore the country and "live" here as opposed to being a tourist.  Having fallen in love with a Hotel resort vacation/experience has NOTHING to do with living here.   There are lots of everyday things to deal with and the bottom line is this is basically a third world country.

Bob K

Welcome Lydia!  This country is fabulous for a lot of different reasons.  It is diverse geographically, culturally and believe it or not the climate can change too.....

Check out the various areas and do what works for you and your family.

We are here to help whenever we can!

Hi Lydia! The names Nicholas. and welcome to the blog!  The blog is very informative on Dominican Republic and a great way to learn about everyday life there and the things that go on. is the way us prospective expats all learn.

Im not from DR but I do recall that yes, punta cana is a tourist area as others have already mentioned. So you really won't get that true Dominican experience like as if you lived among more local (non tourist) areas, guess it really just depends on what you're actually looking for, out of living there.

but once again welcome and ask as many questions as you can and you will learn a lot!

Just as I have!!!

Bob pretty well says it all! :)

I think I said it pretty well too Tomas wat do u think  ;)

Yes Nick, you have it pretty much covered as well.
The people here are it's best asset! :)

Hello to all.

I arrived in DR yesterday with my oldest son from the United States.

We are staying in the Sosua area for a month and are seeking to explore much of the country.

I would like to meet with Bob, who seems to show a genuine concern for the welfare of visitors, if this seems agreeable to him.

I also send my thanks to all who contribute to make this blog the success that it is.

Respectfully,

Mike

Mike welcome to the blog.
Where in Sosua are you staying and where are you planning  to visit?

Bob K

I will probably be on the beach in Sosua tomorrow.

Bob K

Welcome to the group Mike!  If you need anything while here, have questions or you want to post your experiences and observations, please post on existing threads or open your own! 

Enjoy your stay!

Closed