Enrolling Kids in a Maltese Primary School..

Afternoon,

Can anyone who has completed this mission recently please advise as to what docuements are requested. Thanking everyone is in advance for their time.

Hi,

you have to make an appointment with Ms White (25982464) she is the  service manager responsible for all foreign students enrollment at the Ministry of Education. She will let you know what document you will need. The list two months ago was this:

Original and photocopy of e-Residence permit issued by the Department
for Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs;
Original and photocopy of child's birth certificate, if child is not born in
Malta;
Original and photocopy of translation of the birth certificate, if it is not in
English;
Original and photocopy of passports / ID cards of child/ren and parents;
Original and photocopy of proof of residence in Malta;
Original and photocopy of marriage certificate;
Original and photocopy of a legal document denoting who has the care and
custody of the child, if the child is not accompanied by both parents;
Qormi Polyclinic Screening Certificate;
Any other documents that deem necessary.

Both parents will have to be present to submit the application.

Also you might get conflicting information about e-residency. Two  months ago my friends were told that they at least need to prove that they have submitted their application for e-resindency to be able to enroll their child. When I was trying to submit my e-residency application about a month ago and I asked for a receipt I was told by the manager of the department that they stopped giving receipts to EU citizens  and it is not necessary

Hello I was at the E residency cattle market today! And asked for a hand written receipt which she did with a growl and also stamped it, next stop to see Ms White at department of Education armed with my documents only thing I dont have is a legal document with custody details as my son hasn't seen his dad for 10years! So dont know what will happen??
Any ideas anyone??
Claire x

Thanks all. Will gather everything I need and make the call. Lets hope it goes smoothly. Can't believe all you need to get a EU Child into a EU School.

ash73 wrote:

Thanks all. Will gather everything I need and make the call. Lets hope it goes smoothly. Can't believe all you need to get a EU Child into a EU School.

Please do write about your precious outcome with Ms. White as lot of people are in the same fix.!!!!!!  Thanks in advance.

Morning, Just wanted to update you all on my mission to enrol my kids in public school. Once I had got all the docuements on the list I made the call to get an appointment. NO Appointment needed the man told me just come along. So we did that on Tuesday morning around 11am, Mrs White was not available but her son Mario was. We took a seat and once he had finished his coffee and flicking through the paper he asked for:-

Our Passports
Kids Birth Certificates and Passports
Screening Certificates
Rental Contract

After a few mins entering the details he handed us a letter and said Happy Christmas hope the kids get on well...

It was straight forward with no hassle at all, no questions asked about redisiency etc.. In and out in 30 mins.

Now just waiting on Offical Letter from St Clare's College so I can get a start date for the kids.

ash73 wrote:

It was straight forward with no hassle at all, no questions asked about redisiency etc.. In and out in 30 mins.

Now just waiting on Offical Letter from St Clare's College so I can get a start date for the kids.

Sure, all this 'residential' issues are checked on the College level. But usually they ask the same - rental contract and bills.

ash73 wrote:

i enrolled my kid this week in st claire college (primary school), but  I didn't wait for any letter

on tuesday I finished in ministry and they told me to go to HQ of college (martin luther king road in pembrooke)

I went on tuesday there and  I filled 2 more papers, then went to the branch in which my kid will go to school on wednesday, filled in 5 more papers, got the stationary list and addres of the shop for uniform and bought everything  and today he had his first day in school

Hi Duxx

When I went to Pembroke the Head of School wasn't there so they said she would sign the letter and post it out to me.. So hopefully will get in post tomorrow and go to the school then..

Hope your boy got on ok today..

Hi all, I am in the same situation, a bit confused on what documentation to present in order to enroll my son in st claire's college, especially in regards to the e-residency (receipt is enough, or no proof at all??). We are looking into moving to Malta next year, so my son would start school in January...any of you know if it is ok for the school if the child starts in January and not September?

Hi,

if your child is over 5 he can start anytime when you arrive. However you can enroll him only when he is in Malta ( I writing this, because sometime a parent arrives first before the rest of the family, but he/she can not enroll the children in their absence)
The question of residency, better if you check with Ms White department when you ready to enroll your child as this requirement changes regularly (it least it changed 3 times since March(

for me it was enough to get receipt that i submited papers for e-id
this was in 45 days ago, so i belive it hasnt changed

Thanks for your replies, I will check it out again when we are getting closer to our move!!

Hi, We took Rental Contract and Passports and that was it. We were not asked for ID Cards or any proof of applying for new E-Residency card. All went very smoothly without any hassle. Kids started early December and we have no complaints about the Public School at all.. Very impressed if honest.

Hello to all,

arriving in Malta from Italy next week, I wanted to know which documents asking for the registration allla primary school (my son is 7 years old). I've seen that in some schools there among the documents required  the residence-permit. I intend to apply for residency as self-employed, but it will take some time, however, in the meantime, my son can not go to school? It seems to me that in Europe for European citizens is the right to attend school in every country that is part of the EU. Experiences that you have had?
P.S. I know you must apply to Mrs. White to enroll their children in public school, in which documents you asked?
Thanks for the answers

Giuseppe :/

Hi,

you don't need the residence permit. It's okay if you show them the confirmation that you applied for it. Don't forget the translated birth certificate and all other required documents.
Yes, it's right that your son can't go to school in the meantime.

Hello,
I have to enroll my 7 year old son to the public primary school of St. Pawl, would like to know where I can find a model for the registration and the address to go talk to Ms. White
Thanks for the answers
Giuseppe

This is the web page for St Pauls bay primary school.....

http://stpaulsbayprimary.com/school-history/

Terry

Everything ok, I managed to enroll my child in primary school of St Pawl, I was wondering, since I was not asked the permission of the Italian school, now is enrolled in 2 schools at the same time? Or do I have to communicate to the Italian school transfer? Or does not matter?  :unsure

Hi,

Did you translate your son's birth certificate and did it need to be legalised (apostile) for the school ?
Thanks

Hi, did you actually have to show rescidence application or was your rental contract enough for proof of rescidence, we move to Malta end of August and have a rental contract in place, im only going to have a week off work when we arrive  to try and sort everything once i arrive so trying to get everything straight of what i need to produce to enroll my kids who will also be in St Clares,

Just the rental Agreement to show that you will be living within the catchment area of the school, no residency needed.
Of course you will need all your passports , an aplication form,  birth certificate and take photocopies of everything.

Thanks! I have all that, only thing I need to do now is get my youngest daughters birth certificate translated as she was born in Spain, I do already have a notarised official translation from Spanish to English That was done here in Spain and is officially stamped but am not sure if they will accept it or want to get this translated again in Malta.
Thanks for your help!
Kelly

It will be ok , until you have that certificate in english , it won't matter if translated in spain or Malta, I've done the same for my son with his Italian birth certificate and doesn't need to be Notorised , all they worry about is Photocopies of originals and translation, you will get a letter to st clare school for your daughter then you need to take that letter to the head master office whish will be in another building (not the actual school) and fill up another form and finally you wait to two weeks before the start of school to receive an email telling you that your daughter is accepted in the school and needs a uniform .....

Has anyone checked out Newark school and can give us any feedback? Moving with two young kids to Malta and private schools seem very $$$. I have also looked in to St. Clare and I have seen great feedback and I believe this is not a private entity. It is hard to find what are the bottom line charges for St Anton or other private Catholic schools and I was wondering what our true expense would be a month (tuition, uniforms, books and transport). Is it also true that State Catholic Schools have a long waiting list? sorry for all the questions but probably moving in late October with a 5 & 7 year old kids and want the best for them!

Is St Clare private? Is it tough to get in???

St Clares is a government school and there is no waiting list. What I don't know is, as you come from a non eu country, whether you still have to pay??

Thanks...yes we are coming from the US but I will be under contract and my wife is Polish so both my kids will have EU passports so I guess that should help. Have you heard good or bad thing on St Clare? I am also curious on "Newark" we have heard great and no so great...

I have only ever heard good things about St. clares and there are lots of people on here who's children go to St. Clares.

Yes, if your wife is Polish then I'm sure it is free, although Ricky is best to advice on eu spouses etc.

I guess it depends on how long you will be here for, as there are international schools that I believe that exams are the ones taken in your home country but if you are here for good, then the Maltese system would be best. The international schools do charge a bit though, again, check the threads on here as there should be info on them.

I am going on a 2 year contract with maybe adding a third. Private is very expensive and we are looking for more Catholic than private.

Yes they are expensive. Your children are still young, so even in 3 years they won't be facing national exams.

thanks, yes we are looking at prices of private although cheaper than US but still pretty steep. What are these exams? We are cool with school being a bit tough, I think the US lack so much in schools and even more so if not private. We are moving to give our children a better education & culture. I will be earning 48 thousand EU a year gross although this seems like a good salary it still will be tight with rent, car, bills and private school...

Best of luck of with everything its not easy moving with 2 kids.. I HAD my kids at Newark but they are now at St Clares Sliema..I have nothing bad to say about St Clares, they do the best they possibly can for every child. Any questions on Newark, just PM me...

We just moved to Swieqi and I'm trying to get my 2 daughters enrolled into Pembroke Primary and my son into Gzira Boys secondary have all the paperwork the only thing I'm struggling with is the screening certificate, I spoke to Miss White at the department of education the other day she told me I had to go to qormi poly clinic today to get the screening done, went over there and the clinic for the screening was closed reception couldn't help me as they are separate from them. I've been trying to call department of education all morning can't get through the documents I have say I get screening certificate from Floriana but on the phone Ms White said Qormi......I'm confused can anyone shed any light on where I go and when to get this sorted out.

Izzybenjaz wrote:

We just moved to Swieqi and I'm trying to get my 2 daughters enrolled into Pembroke Primary and my son into Gzira Boys secondary have all the paperwork the only thing I'm struggling with is the screening certificate, I spoke to Miss White at the department of education the other day she told me I had to go to qormi poly clinic today to get the screening done, went over there and the clinic for the screening was closed reception couldn't help me as they are separate from them. I've been trying to call department of education all morning can't get through the documents I have say I get screening certificate from Floriana but on the phone Ms White said Qormi......I'm confused can anyone shed any light on where I go and when to get this sorted out.

Hi, yes Qormi is the only place. You need to go early, I'm surprised they were closed?
As you go in, there is a large reception area with a glassed off centre. On the right there is a door (it is on the right again.) Just knock and enter (or wait if told to/.)

But on the other hand, who knows, maybe it has changed to Floriana but it has been at Qormi for years and years!

Yes that's  where I  went, sign on the door saying closed today have just called Floriana and spoke to chest clinic they said Qormi chest clinic closes on Thursday I should have been told to go to Floriana ......she was very helpful though and apologized for the wrong info , usually it's Thursdays only for the screening but  she said to go over to Floriana on Tuesday at 12 and they will see me...... Let's hope they're open !

I must have forgotten they were only open on certain days unless that has changed, or maybe it was just a fluke when I have arrived!!

It would be worth you putting it official on a new thread.

We went to Floriana with our daughter - when we enrolled her with Miss Whites deputy, we needed that document too & she had told us the date and time to go and get it before hand (apparently its certain days only). They close around 11.30 so go early & there is a small table when you enter that you need to get a ticket from (they see people in number order). Take you & your child's passport & proof of address too! Our daughter will start grade 1 at St Claires, Pembroke - apparently this school is one of the best!

I read st Clare's is good that's why we chose this area to live, my daughters are 8 and 10 so going into 4th and 6th grade I think!! It's a small world , Your profile says your from Nottingham Micat22 I'm originally from near Ilkeston just outside of Notts although haven't lived in UK for 10 years.

Yes, I'm Nottingham born & bred & live in Arnold! We will be in Bahar ic caghaq with my brother in law to start with - not far from Sweiqi. We will be looking for somewhere to rent around the San Gwan, Sweiqi, Pembroke areas when we arrive later this month. Having a nightmare trying to sort shipping right now - thought I'd sorted it all for 19 Sept but the company keep throwing curveballs at us!
My son, who's 13, is going to San Andrea and will be in grade 10 - we chose to send him to a private school as he has been doing really well in the UK & as he wants to be a teacher, want him to get the best education he can. We have family in Malta (some native Maltese) which is of help. Are you working there? I hope to find a job once we get back - we only left 19 August and I can't wait to return! I actually hate it in the UK now & the weather doesn't help!