Moving to Bali

Hello everyone,

I currently live in Amsterdam - Netherlands - But we would like to move to Bali, in principle for 3-6 months, but then it will depend on how we like it. And if we can find a suitable job.

Do you have any hints to make this move? Any recommendations? Do you know any multinational that has offices in Bali?

Thanks for your help!!

Start by reading this string:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=292919

Be sure to scroll down as I also provide some excellent links in some additional posts on that thread.

If you have additional specific question, then fire away.

Good luck with your move.

Hello Ubudian,

Thanks for sharing the link with me. I have read through it and I will also read the links you provide.

I might have interpreted it wrong, but your words seem to try to discourage people to move to Bali, rather than provide help on how to do it successfully - something that you have done already long time ago, I believe.

Personally, I am not 100% sure I will want to live there, at first I would like to go for 3-6 months and then we will see. I have no intention to live or work anywhere illegally - ergo the questions about which multinationals have offices there. The company I currently work for used to have a subsidiary there - not anymore. Potentially other companies do.

I understand living in Bali is not "exactly" the same as going on holidays, that is why I am reaching out for advise and help.

For the record, where I live now - not easy. My home country? Not easy either.

Are you happy in Bali? How come you moved there?

Regards,

P.

vitasloma wrote:

I might have interpreted it wrong, but your words seem to try to discourage people to move to Bali, .

Probably not.
Moving to Bali is a great fad, but can easily turn into a seriously bad dream.
Finding legal work is far from easy and the holiday stops after a short time, reality taking over.

In other words, think very carefully.

Hello,

Thanks for your post.

Yes I am thinking carefully. That is why I am asking for advise.There are 200000 reasons not to do it and only a few to do it,
I want to understand which are those reasons and how to do it.

Can anybody help?

For the record, I am not 20 (I wish) nor arrogant and yes I am ignorant - that's why I am asking.

Thanks!

I think the finding a job part of the move will be the biggest hurdle for you. Whilst everything else can sorted out fairly easily, finding work is another issue. I would imagine any multinational companies in Bali would be staffed predominantly by Indonesians with a scattering of expats who may or may not be based in Bali.
Visiting Bali, networking and linking with people there would be key. Using the information already provided will also help. The thing to do is perhaps look at which large multinational companies are in Indonesia and go from there. Flight times from Jakarta to Bali are 1.5 hours so maybe ideal for the weekend if you were based in Jakarta.
I guess the concern from Ubudian and most of us is that there are so many people who consider living and working in Bali as their dream life and job who go there and leave disappointed or with an expectation that you are welcome with open arms because they are western that when this does not happen they can't understand why.  The days of 'backpacking work' and cheap labour is over here, (I am not implying that for you) however many people who try to work in Bali still think thats a viable option and are sorely mistaken.

The job market for expats throughout Indonesia is limited and not the most open and so it is through large companies or organisations that people can come to Indonesia and then maybe if lucky work in places like Bali.

I hope you can find what it is you need.

vitasloma wrote:

For the record, I am not 20 (I wish) nor arrogant and yes I am ignorant - that's why I am asking.

Thanks!

But you look so young and lovely in your avatar :)
As has already been suggested, you'll probably have more joy finding a job in Jakarta, then wandering to various islands for the holidays.
That also has the advantage of being able to find new places every trip.

As a note, if you have a skill that'll allow you to work here, your salary will allow a very nice lifestyle.

Hello Mas Fred,

Thanks a lot for the compliment  :shy I have good genes from my mother it seems. But I have more than 10 years of relevant working experience - I won't say how many more so you don't figure out my age ;)

How is life in Jakarta, then? I was also considering Kuala Lumpur otherwise. All in all I would like to move to Asia for some years.
My current company does have offices in Jakarta but it's not so easy moving there with it.

I don't know exactly what would be a "special skill" - what I can say is that I am highly qualified (even for Western Europe) and have solid experience in big FMCG multinationals.

Cripes, 10 years? I had no idea you were legally allowed to work from 12 years old in Amsterdam.

KL is a good city for English speaking expats, as most business over there is conducted in my mother tongue. If you wander around the golden triangle, you hear far more English than any other language.
Indonesia also has great opportunities for well qualified expats, and considering your experience in that area, Indonesia's still booming economy may offer chances.
However, I still see the Indonesian economy having problems in the next year or two.
House prices have gone silly (about 30%/year in some places), most being bought on credit; It's just begging for a crash.

mas fred wrote:

Cripes, 10 years? I had no idea you were legally allowed to work from 12 years old in Amsterdam.

You know you're married, right?

I am married too, no worries!!  ;)

HaileyinHongKong wrote:
mas fred wrote:

You know you're married, right?

Oh, come on.
If a gentleman can't offer compliment to a pretty young lady, what hope is there for the world?

"If a gentleman can't offer compliment to a pretty young lady, what hope is there for the world?"

Amen, and my personal sentiments as well!   :top:

I like your advise and enlighting everyone how to take the right steps before moving to Bali. Thanks for the great tips ;)

hi there

actually indonesia is very nice and plenty of opportunities

Im from the  philippines and I have already stayed in indonesia for nearly 20 years

Just try

rajawali wrote:

hi there

actually indonesia is very nice and plenty of opportunities

Im from the  philippines and I have already stayed in indonesia for nearly 20 years

Just try

"Just try" meaning what ??