Getting Married in Oslo

Hello everyone,

My fiancé lives in Oslo and I'm currently waiting for him to get a job.  Once he has a job we can go ahead and get married.  I just seem to be getting a little confused about whether I should get a fiancé visa or just go to Norway, get married, and apply for a spousal visa.  I've tried calling the embassy and consulates but they either never answer or tell me to call someone else.  I've heard the processing time for family visas is up to 10 months!  So I guess the simple question is, as a US citizen can I go to Norway on a travel visa, get married, and apply for a spousal visa?

Thank you

Apply online PORTAL NORWAY. www.udi.no like what did.

You probably would be able to get married but it does not guarantee that you would be able to stay. It is wiser to apply for a fiancee visa.

Well after calling 4 different consulates and the embassy someone was finally able to answer all of my questions. As an American citizen I am allowed to stay in Norway while my visa is being processed I just can't leave the country until I have the visa.

I don't think you will be able to get married without the correct paperwork. From what I gather, the rules require you to apply before you get here. You can check www.udi.no for all the information about immigration. It will tell you how to proceed. You can also look through the forum here which contains dozens of people also asking about visas and marriages.

Good luck,

David

Ndm912 wrote:

Well after calling 4 different consulates and the embassy someone was finally able to answer all of my questions. As an American citizen I am allowed to stay in Norway while my visa is being processed I just can't leave the country until I have the visa.

Hei, there has been so many news about spouses being sent out of the country.

Also, if you are going to get married in the city hall, one of the requirements they will ask is residence visa.  (I am not sure though, whether the policies has been changed)

I also just got this email from UDI.

"As a US citizen you do not need a visa to enter Norway.
If you plan to stay more than 90 days out of any 180day periode, you must apply for a residence permit.
You cannot apply for a family reunification (spouse)before you are married."

So I can get married in Norway with no visa and the apply for my visa and stay. It just takes so long to get any kind of response from UDI or the consulates.

If you marry in Norway with a tourist visa (or no visa), you have to apply for familiy reunification from the US.

No I don't, I have spoken with the norwegian consulate closest to me, UDI, and an American who married in Oslo and applied for reunification in Oslo. All of them have verified that an American citizen is able to marry in Norway, apply within Norway, and stay in Norway during the processing of the visa. I truly appreciate everyone's input, but I posted this while I was waiting to hear from UDI and the consulates because it took more than 2 weeks to hear back from them haha.

My bad, I forgot US citizen don't need a tourist visa to come here. 90 days? Well, I guess you know it already.

I just went through the whole application to get married process.  It depends on whether you are just getting married in the courthouse or going through church wedding.  If you are getting married in the courthouse, you need to a few papers in order to book a date for registration since you are not a norwegian.

The court house demands a marriage license issued from Norway Tax office that clear you for getting married.  To get this marriage license, you need to prove to Norway Tax office that you are eligible to get married.  You need to get some kind of statement from US govt to prove you are currently not married etc.  when you get this statement, you need to make sure it is LEGALIZED either by US foreign affair office or US embassy (unsure if US embassy in Oslo does it, so CHECK!).   This statement must not be more than 4 months old upon submission to Tax.

Beside this statement, you need to prove that you are eligible to stay in norway to get married.  If you do not have work permit or any other visa, you need to apply for Fiance visa.  You might need paper works from your fiance that he earns sufficient income because now the current government is very very strict on it.

After you managed to submit all the paper works, you wait for the license.  They can sent it directly to courthouse or to you.  I chose to send to me.  The license is only valid for THREE months.  if you did not get married within three months, you need to go through the whole eligible for marriage paper works all over again.

Once you have the license, you can go to courthouse to book an appointment.  there are a few application forms that both you and your fiance need to fill in.  I believe there are english forms in the office.  the online forms are all in norwegian.

if you are doing church wedding, just make sure you find a church and book a date.  after that, you can start all the paperwork with tax and get marriage license.  the church needs to have your license in order to marry you off.

Thanks so much for your information. can i have your eamil please? (mine is: [email protected])

You must marry in Oslo before your 3 months tourist will be expire.then after you marry,apply D visa in oslo,but you could not leave norway if you dont have d visa yet.