Malta

Hi we are a family of 4 (kids 4 to be 5 and 7 to be 8. We are seriuosly looking to move by this October, We have been researching and surfing the web as much as possible. I will be contracted by Hard Rock Cafe to be the GM there in Malta and uploading my family from Texas. We are looking at schools, english speaking and hopefully Catholic. We want a safe area and Sliema looks great....I am from Argentina & my wife from Poland and any help would be amazing. I have to make a decision to sign contract and all the help will come in handy. What do you think in your estimate is a confortable living? Again we are very simple and do not go out to much enjoy outdoors and family lfe. My company will be giving us a car so that is a big expense. We are unsure as to what to rent apartment or "house of Character"...you also mentioned lego club!! I see mostly everything is furnished so it would be utilities, cel phone and food...hope to get some help, thanks Pablo

As no one else has bothered I'll give you my opinions but I am retired and live on Gozo.
Your questions are too general and it seems you know little of Malta neither have you read what is in abundance on this blog. There are threads outlining costs of living but as usual it will depend upon your lifestyle.
I would not say that Sliema is conducive to good family life but that is my opinion, others will disagree.
Sliema is overdeveloped, crowded, noisy etc.
We have a 3 double bed apartment, all facilities, internet/phone good standard of living on far less than E2000 p.m.
If I were you? I would focus on my children's needs and then fit everything else around them.

Thanks for the response...we do not mid crowded. We have been looking hard and reading much about Malta. Just wanted more an opinion about good schools in the Area. I will hopefully be moving working for Hard Rock and need to live closer than farther. Gozo looks great and the cost of living much better than Malta but the commute seems to much. I am new with these forums and I need to follow the thread better you are right about that, thanks for the help.

Hi, we,moved here 8 weeks ago. All depends on your wages and how much you have to spend...  St pauls bay and sliema seem to be most family orientated, I live in st pauls bay. It depends what u want out of the school? I chose st pauls bay as my son speaks only English and I felt this would be the best school for him for that reason, plus it is cheaper to live here than sliema (rental prices) again really it depends exactly what u want and what costs you can afford :-)

Thanks again and yes I've heard there are areas with much better cost of living. We are worried about the commute since I will be working at Hard Rock which I think is in St. Julians. We also need an all English school and my wife will be staying home so she would like to have a  neighborhood were she can walk around to shops, etc. I have been to many sights on Malta and salary comparisons and trying to negotiate my contract. There are many discrepancies on what is an an average to good salary....I'm looking at a year average Euro salary to live confortable in Malta. We again are a very simple easy going family, cook at home and quite cautious on our spending coming from a middle class family in the US.

I personally would avoid , Bugibba qawra st pauls bay , st julians and silema ..1, they are all very touristy , 2,  they often get very noisy ,  and they are really busy to try to get too on public transport or out of

your better off looking inland and commuting then to stay near the coast , having said that i live in marsaxlokk on the south coast and its a beautiful town and the only time it gets busy is for the market .

Rental wise, coming in october you will be hitting the end of the season so many companies will be offering long term lets for the winter period,  and so depending on the area you can pay from about 150 euros a month upwards ..
your also more likely to get a house of character living away from the main touristy places.

i would advise coming to malta before you sign contract and check out areas, prices etc and decide if its really for you because there is only so much you can read about

Thanks..and yes we will be put in a hotel for the first month once we arrive to Malta. I am not so worried in lifestyle, etc etc. My wife being from Europe and me from Buenos Aires I am used to crowds and noise...nevertheless we want to be in an area good with schools (to young children) and also with enough around to shop..market for food etc. I will be working inSt. Julians and I've heard nightmares on traffic...but then living in Chicago before traffic is traffic. We have been looking at house of character and we love them! Is the area you live in good for kids...schools (English) and shops...I can sacrifice a bit of a commute for better living area. thanks

Thanks Rob...do you have kids??? Is anything over 48 thousand Euros a year considered a decent salary?

Hi Pablo,

please excuse my questions but you are saying that you will be working for Hard Rock but you don't have a contract , don't know where Hard Rock is and don't know what you will be earning ?  Yet you are talking about a salary of over 48.000  / year ? Whow .....

What do you know about living and working in Malta?

Cheers
Ricky

Well for me personally, if your looking for a school that teaches in English and a expat area for your wife to make friends and shop etc its st pauls bay/ sliema area. That's what I did anyway :-)

48,000 euros a year .. where this job i want it lol .. the average salary is about 14,000 euros a year so  of course its amazing .

I Dont have children  so i dont know about schools , but the place i live is beautiful and great for me ,
you have to find whats best for you though

the island isnt that big so you could travel to st julians quite easily from other areas however there is a lot of work being done on the coast road and the driving standards of people out here leave a lot to be desired and so accidents are pretty frequent , st julians is a place people go for the night life so if that doesnt bother you then you may find a place to live there but it will be mostly appartments unless you look on the outskirts.
SHOP  wise there is a supermarket in st julians called the tower , its owned by the gs group so you can get carrefour products from there and its fairly good value for some stuff .. there is also a marks and spencers food shop , and other small local convinence stores there. There is a lidl in  san gwann which is easily accessible if you have a car and this is great for relatively cheap foods , though you will find for fruit and vegetables your better off buying from the street sellers or markets.

I'm just curious if I enter negotiations. I work for Hard Rock now but looking to move to Malta and there are a few options and I am getting mixed reviews on yearly salaries. Compared to life in the US the pay seems low and schools are pretty steep in Malta. Thanks for the suggestions as to where to live...from everyone. 14 thousand Euros seems way to low as medium salary. I have read that 25-30 thousand Euros medium salary. Family of 4 can not survive with 14 a year???

You will live decently on 48k but I doubt you'd be able to send two children to private schools. Has your wife completely ruled out the possibility of working?

Unless you are working as a CEO I doubt you will get 48K and even then I would query that salary.
I will PM you with some info.

redmik wrote:

Unless you are working as a CEO I doubt you will get 48K and even then I would query that salary.

I know several people working in finance, banking and I-gaming who earn more than 48k and they're not CEOs or GMs.

thanks...I would appreciate the info. Yea there is a chance at the salary, obviously base salary lower than 48 but adding car ++ and car $$ allowance and 400 euros towards rent a month adds up. Again we live a nice simple life in Texas with not many luxories but good life and good free pubic schools. Living in Malta and signing just a 2 or 3 year chance gives us a chance to experience new things specially for our children which are #1 as well as getting us closer to family in Poland, much closer and cheaper to fly. This makes it a more desirable choice as well as good for resume...also putting Europe at an arms reach, something almost imposible to achieve living in Texas. I heard the experience for the kids as well as safty is very tempting. I just wanted to get more info on cost of living, elec, gas, water...rents I know vary depending where one lives. We will probably be settled in an apartment for the 1st month till we find the area to live in. Schools are key...are there good public schools. I've been reading about St Clare College.. free? I saw some Catholic schools at 36oo-4200 euros a year including uniforms. Cel phone and groceries....just an average family of 4..again many many thanks! To all if and once I am there I will make sure to let you know where to visit me!

I will be a GM

she has not ruled out not working, at the start till we settle with kids, schools etc she wants to be home.

redmik wrote:

Here we go again!

@ redmik > Do not hesitate to share some information here on the forum, so that the other members as well can benefit from them. :)

Thank you,

Priscilla  :cheers:

Priscilla wrote:

@ redmik > Do not hesitate to share some information here on the forum, so that the other members as well can benefit from them. :)

Thank you,

How many times have the team told him that?

Roger Rabat wrote:
Priscilla wrote:

Thank you,

How many times have the team told him that?

Not enough apparently!

? do not want to create problems here all info is hepful! thanks

Hi Pablo,

you are talking about  Malta.! Lets not talk crap but what is your actual salary worth ?  How much do you know about Malta and the way  of life.?

Go ahead and earn your promised 50.000  Euro . I know folks that were promised a lot more

I wish you luck but don't believe a cent you are talking about.

Cheers
Ricky

Hey Pablo....you say in post #7 you will be put up in a hotel for the first month then in post #16 you said you will probably be in an apartment. Well which is it?.............I think Ricky makes a valid observation.

Note to others: I was educated with the moral that if you had nothing nice to say then don't say anything.

Why all the aggression I have no clue. I am just trying to get some info on Malta. Yes Ricky I have done quite a bit of research on Malta. I am under negotiating my contract. One of the terms was to be put up in a hotel or apartment whatever it may be for a month till we find a suitable area to live. There are many options in Malta so my employer suggested for me to take a month to find the right spot for both my wife and kids needs. As to what my salary is that is a private matter. My inquire was as to what is a decent salary to live in Malta. I will get a yearly car allowance so that helps as well as 400 EU a month towards rent. We have a nice life here in the States but we think that Mlata would be an amazing experience for our family as a whole. I am also looking at what are my options of health care etc. So I thought this forum would be a helpful and viable way of getting some ideas, obiously not. Line 8 or 6 or 16 are different because I am negotiating my status. I've been with  this company for almost 10 years so I do not think they are lying to me. So it is simple what my questions are...school, health, utilities, etc for a simple family of 4...wow sorry to get people mad....

MikeInPoulton wrote:

I think Ricky makes a valid observation.
Note to others: I was educated with the moral that if you had nothing nice to say then don't say anything.

Exactly, so why accuse someone of lying or telling them that you know better than they do what there salary may or may not be.
That does not sound helpful or useful to me and certainly isn't nice!

As you said, if you haven't got anything nice (or useful) to say don't say anything!

Hi everybody,

Can we please calm down here and try to talk calmly?

Thank you

Hi Pablo,

Not sure why the mood changed here.

Anyway, let me tell you what I know... With regards to the salary. It is absolutely more than possible to get it in Malta. I'm saying it because I know. You don't have to be CEO at all to get this money. Of course, the average salary here is around 13-14k per annum, but I know a lot of people who earn the salary you've mentioned.

So, as from what I understand you are living a simple life in Texas and you don't go crazy about luxury things. Therefore, I think you would be absolutely fine with this money to cover everything for yourself and your family. Especially since you get some car and rent allowance. However, the rents in St.Julians and Sliema area are much higher. You would need to do a bit more research on that in terms of your budget.

I am sorry not to be able to give more advice, but I follow this forum a lot and I can tell you that for example Ricky or Radmik can give you a lot more information than myself. I assume they've been here for much longer and following this forum I can tell you they know a lot about life here in Malta. No idea what happened to this topic, but maybe you PM the guys I've mentioned above and I am sure they can give some very good advice. They are actually nice guys ;)

Don't get put off this forum. It is usually very helpful.

Good luck!

Priscilla wrote:

Hi everybody,

Can we please calm down here and try to talk calmly?

Thank you

Perfectly calm, thank you.

Just feel sorry for 'Pablobasia' who has only been a member for 5 days and has had several 'Experts', 'VIPs' and others having a go at him to the point of inferring he is a liar!

I thought the point of the blog was to give help and advice.

F0xgl0ve wrote:
MikeInPoulton wrote:

Exactly, so why accuse someone of lying or telling them that you know better than they do what there salary may or may not be.
That does not sound helpful or useful to me and certainly isn't nice!

As you said, if you haven't got anything nice (or useful) to say don't say anything!

I think you'll find, Ray, that if you actually read my post I didn't accuse anybody of anything - I merely pointed out that in the build up for information the 'story' changed. An 'experienced' member of the forum also noticed irregularities and I concurred.

The bit about not saying anything nice was aimed squarely at you - there you go......to the point. Your little "here we go again jibe" was, quite frankly, totally out of order. You said it yourself in your last post "I thought the point of this blog (it's a forum actually) was to give help and advice". Well.....when you match the post count of some of the more experienced forum members then, and only then, would you have any justification for your sarcastic and juvenile comments. The person concerned is big and ugly enough (I've seen the photo's) to look after himself, however, it's a choice thing - if you look back your ONLY input to this thread was to have a go, a man of your age should really know better - your CHOICE was to ignore or pass by what doesn't concern, interest or affect you.

Kindest Regards

(As calm as they come) Mike

Hi Pablo,

I am with you, I haven't got a clue why everybody got mental when you mentioned the 48k salary as an example. They probably were jealous coz they can't get that sort of money. To be honest, there are people here with a lot of knowledge and experience and instead helping a newcomer, they just slag him off...that's a pitty!

But anyway, going back to your question, I will try to give you my personal example. We're also a family of 4 originally from Portugal and we live in the north of Malta, Mellieha. I work within the online gaming industry and my wife works as a care assistant. Our salaries combined, do not make the 48k, much less than that, I could actually say about 35-40% less than that. Where I am trying to get is that even though our income is not that high, we can still have a nice and comfortable life here in Malta but with no luxury. We pay 600 +bills for a 3 bed maisonette with sea views to the Mellieha Bay Beach and to Gozo, I'm also paying a car loan, credit cards and if we organize our finances well, we can still save some money. We don't go out dinner very often, maybe about twice a month, I am not a pub person also, I rather have friends around for a BBQ and watch a football match.

I can see from what you already said here that you're not expecting a luxury life in Malta and therefore, with a salary between 30-40k, plus the extra 400 allowance you'll get every month (4800/year), I can honestly say you gonna have a nice and comfortable life over here, too, much better than mine :D. Still, it will depend on your expenses such as rent, food and other bills you may have. If you are going to rent in areas like Sliema, St Julian's, Valletta, etc, then the price for renting will increase a lot. But then again, with that sort of package, you can easily pay a bit more for renting.

Well, I hope my information can be useful to you and if you need any other advice, let me know, I'll be glad to help. Best of luck for you and your family and I hope see you guys in Malta some day!

Cheerio,
Antonio

THANKS TO EVERYONE!

MikeInPoulton wrote:

And Ricky said '    I wish you luck but don't believe a cent you are talking about.' which is inferring that he was lying and you agreed.

As you mentioned names I would say I have always found Ricky's comments and advice to be generally helpful, Redmik has been here less time than I and as far as I know you don't live in the country, you may have been here in the services but that,to my mind, is totally different to living here now.

As for numbers of posts there are those who seem to feel they have to comment on everything even if it adds nothing to the topic.

If you look at the top it says  'Expat.com'.

You will be pleased to know that I will not bother posting on this topic anymore.

Obrigado Antonio, thanks for the help...yes that is the help I need. We really are not looking to live in Sliema or St. Julians...noise and are kids are small. I was worried about traffic and commute to work since my job will be in St Julians. I have heard horror stories about commuting. As to driving being from Argentina I understand crazy driving trust me! All I am is trying to write a budget to have a more informed negotiation with my employer. School is one of our concerns...English speaking since our 7 year old is stressing a bit. We are also love bbq and not much of pub person at all. We are all about family and just relaxing at home and being together. So is commuting from your area bad? I've told the other side of the Island is good too. My wife only wants to make sure she is not isolated and can walk around and do stuff with the kid while I am gone with the car and I do not want to spend hours driving back and forth from work. Right now we are at 38 thousand Euros base + car lease + 500 EU towards rent a month (+ bonus..if I do well). I do not want to lose this job by to much pressure and if you think that could make it comfortable then great. My wife being Polish can also find some kind of part-time work in Malta. The great thing is that my Employer will put us up till we find an area to live in that we like! How do PM people??? Thanks Antonio!

F0xgl0ve wrote:
MikeInPoulton wrote:

And Ricky said '    I wish you luck but don't believe a cent you are talking about.' which is inferring that he was lying and you agreed.

As you mentioned names I would say I have always found Ricky's comments and advice to be generally helpful, Redmik has been here less time than I and as far as I know you don't live in the country, you may have been here in the services but that,to my mind, is totally different to living here now.

Maybe not Ray, however, I have been married to a Maltese girl for the past 34 years and spend some considerable time there with my extended family (I have been on the Island three times this year alone so far) - I have the unique benefit of seeing life from both angles....as an expat and from a Maltese perspective. I number, within my friendship circle, a very senior manager with Air Malta and a Maltese Ambassador to another country (I shall not mention which as a matter of courtesy).

As for numbers of posts there are those who seem to feel they have to comment on everything even if it adds nothing to the topic.

No they don't......I take it as a sense of responsibility to those wishing to make the transition from where they currently live to a new life in Malta bearing in mind their own personal experiences and what they have learned since arriving. Just because you have lived in a place longer is not a qualification for knowing more about the place or its systems than those who may not have...........it's all down to personalities and circumstances. There is also the aim of responding to make welcome those who write on this forum; by example to say hello and welcome when a person has asked a question is "off topic" however, adds to the friendliness of the experience.

If you look at the top it says  'Expat.com'.

If you look at the green menu above, just after Network and Pictures, it says FORUM.

You will be pleased to know that I will not bother posting on this topic anymore.

Indeed I am pleased. That's the first thing you have got right so far.

Good day sir.

Again Antonio that is how I came about my 48 thousand EU a year...adding base + rent allowance + car (estimate lease)...bonus is a ??? if I make them or not. I was not saying 48 plus all that, but from what a I reading is seems ok and specially if I do not live in those expensive (noisy) areas. Here in Texas we are doing ok but this is a great oppurtinity for 2-3 years for all of us. What do you do about health coverage? How old are your kids?...thanks!

De nada Pablo! It's good if you move away for those areas exactly for the reasons you've mentioned. To be honest, traffic wise, no matter where you live in Malta, you'll always get some traffic times coz there are so many cars in Malta and so many roads works at the moment that unfortunately, it will make lose some unnecessary time on the wheel. The driving in Malta can be a bit mental sometimes, lots of road accidents every day, but then again, it depends how careful driver you are. I've been driving here for about 3-4 months and so far, it's been great. I get annoyed with some drivers sometimes coz here it seems they don't know what the indicator lights are for but you'll get used to :D

IMHO, your 1st priority should be your kids school and then try to plan everything else around that. My 5 years old boy is attending the Mellieha primary school and so far, it's being great. I also have a 2 months old baby but my wife is still at maternity leave. We've been here for just over a year and when we came, my son hardly speak a word of English, and now, his English is great, I could say it's fluent. In mostly Maltese schools, they teach both Maltese and English and his school it's not an exception. I've lived in Mellieha for the 1st 4 months when arriving in Malta and then, due to my wife getting a job in Attard, we then moved to Balzan, a more central area. Then when I got my car, we decided to move back to Mellieha coz we missed the nice, quiet, welcoming atmosphere we had in Mellieha. Even though its a bit further from the center, you'll find everything here. In the summer might get a bit busier coz of the beautiful sandy beaches they have here, but we can live with that. We also have a 24 hours gym just opened, plenty of park spaces for kids and beautiful views everywhere.

Driving from here to St Julian's, I reckon it won't take you more than 40 mins. You'll take the coast road from St Paul's Bay and will take you straight to St Julian's. Depending on the times you're commuting, might take slightly more or less time. Now takes a bit longer coz they're doing some massive road works on that road and the cars have to go a bit slower. Just as an example, yesterday I took a friend of mine to the airport from here, and it took me about 35-40 mins, with some traffic on the way. Trust me, with that kind of salary and package, you guys gonna be just great, much better than the general people. If your wife will be looking for a job within catering/hospitality, here won't be a problem, there are a lot of hotels in the area. My sister has been here for 2 months and when she applied for a job, she could even chose which one she wanted coz she had few offers.

To PM someone, just click on that person's username and will take you to a different page where you'll find the option "send a message" on the right hand side.

Cheerio ;)

Antonio