Advise regarding moving to Malasiya

Hello friends,

I am an engineer from India with 5 years experience, I have a job offer from Malasiya (Selangor) of RM 6700 plus accommodation, transportation and also they will be paying for my Visa. I am just married and willing to move along my wife.
I wanted to understand if the above mentioned salary is feasible to maintain a normal life style for both of us?

Thanks in advance for your valuable advice!!

I think your salary mentioned here is quite reasonable to sustain and live a descent life in Malaysia.

Please clarify below with your employer:
- Whether you're entitled for the EPF contributions
- Year-End Bonus
- Your take home Salary (After deducted all i.e. EPF, Tax, if any)

Notes:
- Depending on your total earning (including housing allowance, transportation allowance, year-end Bonus, etc), Tax will be calculated - Max is 26% flat rate

Assuming if you would take home salary is 5k per month after deducting everything plus company provided accommodations and transportation, probably you can save 3k per month.

On sustaining a normal lifestyle, the move may mean your wife will find it very difficult to get a job in Malaysia and therefore her financial contribution to the marriage will be missing, she will be dependent on you, and also her career advancement may be affected (and being away from family and friends with little to occupy her on a daily basis).

This is so true...

Its going to be difficult to make ends meet. Well perhaps just enough to make ends meet but difficult nonetheless, especially with a spouse who's not working.

i Suggested your wife working for simple work aslo.
So should be more better for you and not much burden in life.

Dear friends,

Thanks a lot for your replies.
I have negotiated the salary to RM 7700/month and for EPF contribution, company is saying that is not required. Also they have said that no other deduction will be taking place from my salary. For year end bonus company has told me that it will be depending on individual's performance. I wanted to understand whether salary of RM 7700 will be a doable amount for our family of 2 (me and my spouse) maintaining a normal lifestyle in Selangor area? And if it will be possible for me to save anything around RM 2000-2500 a month?

Make sure you save Rm 3k per month. But your wife has to find a job at a salary of RM 5k to work and that is very difficult. So prepare her for no work and just kicking around at home. It depends on what you want as a family if you take the job. You will be regarded as a second class citizen in Malaysia because of the ethnic groups here.

anything more than 8k should be ok...anything lower will be tough

So are you saying your take home pay is going to be RM7700?  (you write there will be no deductions according to the company?) Income tax will be flat (no refund or allowances) 26% in 2014 and 25% in 2015.  Once tax resident (after 182 days in any tax year - Jan to Dec - then normal graduated tax, allowances and refunds for overpayment in 2015 will be apply). See recent Thread on Tax Rates on this blog for details.

Hi All,

This is Ansh From Pune .

I also in Similar kind of Situation , I have 6+ years of Experience in Openedge/QAD Administration Which is very Niche Skill sets for Software Engineer .

Currently I am team Lead in MNC and  Saving almost 6 Lacs Per annum.

I recently Got Job Offer for KL Malaysia in US Manufacturing Firm as DBA in there new Office in KL.

I told them Expected Salary as 14-15 K per month.
Did I calculated wrong ???

help me with the Per month Salary for DBA lead in KL Malaysia ??
I will be Moving with my wife (non IT).

Thanks in advance

ANSH

Ha Ha if you can negotiate RM14-15 per month well done.

Hi Gravitas ,

Please Explain your comment ??

Did I Expected too Much ??

Please get me some idea about this ? , I never been to Malaysia and Do'nt know anyone there ?
help is Highly Appreciated .

Thanks
Anshul Puranik

The guideline salary for a DBA is RM7k per month.

http://www.kellyservices.com.my/uploade … 0ebook.pdf

Ansh, that is a good package. Typically 10k would be more appropriate, but if u get 15k, u shud b comfortable.

Would i be able to servive in 7K after 26% tax deduction ??

With my non working wife ???

AnshP - thousands of people survive on a lot less than RM7k per month.  However, costs are often higher for expatriate professionals (for example they get shown only the more expensive properties, or want to live in the upmarket expat areas). 

The salary guide for Malaysia (its rather slow to open sometimes) was included a few posts further back. Someone like Carlyle can comment on how accurate it is. Generally speaking the word on the street is that expat salaries have reduced by up to 30% from a few years ago.

Thanks Gravitas & Carlyle,

Actually I am currently dealing with Company Directly not with any agency ..Its actually MSC status US MNC ..... Opening new Office in KL.

Just wanted to confirm ... so that i can negotiate with them 10-12K ???

Any other thing which i should take care During Offer ??
Any specific place I should look for rented house ... Safe and With some Indian community around ???

Thanks

Ansh

Dear Ansh,
I am from Chittagong (citizen of Ukraine) searching for Logistic and intermodal position in KL in a Shipping Line
can you advise some contacts of Employer for me (if we do not pretend for same position) tks!

Alex B - AnshP's line of work is computers not shipping.

Even I am not yet shifted to KL Buddy .... yet waiting for my own Offer letter to come :P

Hi Guys ,

After a Long Time , First I would like to thank you all for being helping.

I am finally Offered 13K .

I think as per above discussion it is enough to Live comfortably for 2 plp.

what else i should think about before relocation , should i accept this Offer ???

Please advice

I think thats a good offer. make sure ur company puts u up in a hotel or serviced apt for at least 3 weeks. and ask for them to pay for shipping ur stuff from india to kl.

They are giving me 12K for relocation ...I have to manage in that amount ?

Will that be OK ?