Customs and Oriental Rugs

I am preparing to move to my new home in Ecuador, but have run into a question regarding bringing my Oriental rugs. A friend recently wrote and told me that she thought I would be unable to get my rugs through Customs.

Can anyone speak to this?

Thanks ahead of time for any light anyone could share on this subject!

Hi Susan,

Your friend was right. Rugs are on the Ecuador Customs list of prohibited goods.

See link:

http://www.movers.com/international_mov … uador.html

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

Seems very odd doesn't it?

I wonder why oriental rugs are banned in Ecuador? I've never heard of rug bans before. I can't imagine what the reasoning might be.

No carpet for you!

Sounded really strange to me too, so I actually looked it up.... still damned hard to believe, but what they heck! Their bat and ball, their field, so they make the rules... strange as those rules may be.

Wonder if you could fake them out by putting tabs on one side that could slide over a huge rod, tell them it isn't a rug, but a tapestry?  :cool:  Who knows, if they've got a rule that dumb, maybe they would buy this line? (Just kidding - wouldn't want you to risk a valuable oriental rug)

Thanks, WJ, for your link. I would guess that textiles might make money for Ecuador, therefore, they are not allowed in the country - but I could be wrong about this.

Just thinking about leaving my rigs behind makes me incredibly sad. Looks like I'm going to have to put them in foster care! 

Thanks again for the link!

Good idea, I'd recommend that you don't make any permanent arrangements for the rugs at least until you know for sure that the move to Ecuador is going to be permanent. Foster homes can be a good thing!

Cheers,
wjw

I've actually bought a house and am planning on moving as soon as my house sells. It is a sweet little remodeled adobe in a small community outside of Vilcabamaba. I speak Spanish and have traveled in other parts of Latin America for over 30 years and feel that the tranquility there, along with many possibilities to volunteer (I teach Special Education, Language Arts and ESL). I also lived in East Asia and Kuwait for about 20 years. I'm looking forward to settling in and enjoying the quiet - except of course on feast days when it will be loud for about three days for every celebration - and my house is next to the village church!

Hi WJ,

I wanted to let you know that I received a message from another site that I've connected with about ecuador and was told that rugs for personal use are able to be brought through customs. I Have looked and looked but still am unsure this is correct. I have written a shipper who has a good name with expats, but I've yet to hear back from her.

I found this:

Used household goods are dutiable for foreigners with Visa T1, T3 and T4
Used household goods are dutiable for immigrants with Visa 12-III, 12-IV, 12-V, 12-VII, 12-IX, and 12-X
Foreigners (visa types 12 IV and 12 IX) will be required to pay on shipments of household goods and personal effects. Approximately 40% of CIF value which is determined by Customs and Excise in Ecuador. According to the Official governmental Bulletin Registrar from October 1st 1997, these two types of visas require an inspection at origin prior to shipping. These types of visas are for individuals with short term assignments in Ecuador. Most transferring employees wil fall into this category. The duty rate will be approximately thirty-five (35) percent.
All shipper may import one electric appliance. (Any extras may be dutiable)

I sort of got lost at "Foreigners (visa types 12 IV and 12 IX) will be required to pay on shipments of household goods and personal effects. Approximately 40% of CIF value which is determined by Customs and Excise in Ecuador. According to the Official governmental Bulletin Registrar from October 1st 1997, these two types of visas require an inspection at origin prior to shipping. These types of visas are for individuals with short term assignments in Ecuador. Most transferring employees wil fall into this category. "

In other words, I know we are foreigners, but, as a resident, am I considered "short term?" I hope not

Sorry to bother you with this again, but I'm trying to get clarity before I jump into this - of course, making mud clear is often a very difficult thing to do!

Thanks!

Hello Susan

I do movings in Cuenca and I delivered many containers with lots of rugs inside and never hear of a problem bringing rugs.

Maybe there is a restriction for oriental rugs but since all of them are rolled nobody can see how they look inside and also, I doubt the customs inspectors can see the difference between original oriental rugs and others.

Vinny

Well, since the site I linked to is a reputable source and shows rugs on the prohibited goods list I wouldn't just risk bringing the rugs and risk having them confiscated. I'm sure we all can imagine just where they'd end up.

I'd recommend that you either contact that mover and see if they can shed some light on the subject for you or contacting Ecuador Customs directly and ask them before you do anything else.

Cheers,
wjw

Thanks, Vinny66! I really appreciate your information!