My US Permanent Resident Son's Status for US Citizenship

My Wife and I Naturalized to become US Citizens in March of 2013.

Our Son who is a Legal US Permanent Resident ( Green Card ) turned 18 on Feb 2013 - he has lived in the US for more than 5 years as a Legal Permanent resident.

Question - Is my son considered a US Citizen because his mom and I are US Citizens or will he have to apply for US Citizenship?

Appreciate any feedback.

Thank you

mohanck wrote:

My Wife and I Naturalized to become US Citizens in March of 2013.

Our Son who is a Legal US Permanent Resident ( Green Card ) turned 18 on Feb 2013 - he has lived in the US for more than 5 years as a Legal Permanent resident.

Question - Is my son considered a US Citizen because his mom and I are US Citizens or will he have to apply for US Citizenship?

Appreciate any feedback.

Thank you

No, because your son was not born when you were naturalized US Citizens he is not considered a US Citizen by birth and he must naturalize the same way you did. He will have to apply for citizenship.

Thanks for your response - I went to uscis.gov and here's what I found

" The child must residing as a Green Card holder in the U.S. and both parents naturalized before the child's 18th birthday; " only then is the US Legal Resident Child considered a US Citizen ...

however if my son was below 18 at the time we naturalized he will still need to file ..except that he will not have to go through the due process we went through because of his age as a child.This is what the USCIS.GOV site mentions....

I am not sure if I read that correctly!!!

Just for everyone here wanting to know any thing and everything about US Immigration the best place to go is www.uscis.gov...you get it straight from the SOURCE.....it's only when you have a problem understanding certain intepretations that you may need to speak to someone who has detail understanding of US Immigration Laws..like an Attorney..

Thank you sir for your time and information....much appreciated........and YES EVERYONE MUST follow the LAW just like we did to become naturalized and eventually become US Citizens ...something we value and treasure very much!

Your son became an adult before you became a citizen.  He's going to have to jump through the same hoops you did.