Recent NEWS, Changes and Happenings......

Another new thread which I will sticky,  where we can post Big news,  Law Changes,  and other Major Happenings!

Our first note -  the gov't is changing the law to allow vehicles up to 7 years old to be imported!  here is the link to the story.  Previously the vehicle needed to be less then 5 years old, you had to own it at least 1 year and you must own it free and clear......

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/econom … d-vehicles

7 years old is almost "brand" new here.

Bob K

So true....

We have had conflicting advice on whether it is better to bring a car with us or to wait and buy one there.  I understand that as we are applying to enter as residents under the investor program we can bring one car with us, but I have also heard that in practice, there can be lots of resistance to importing a car this way.

Has anyone had experience bringing a car in as a new resident?

Hi Casey!
All I know is that I have heard, second hand, of a lot
of horror stories about bringing a car here.
I would try & talk to somebody who has REALLY gone
through the procedure.
Bob, you're up!

I've not done it personally but I've heard lots of stories, some good, some bad.

We brought our Avalanche in but it was unfortunate that we waited till after our tax break period.  Still is was worth it as with the cost it still was better than buying a used one here. Today I could sell it for what it was worth in the states when I brought it in  7 years ago.  Do not that added to the cost of shipping and taxes if any there is a cost of $2000US for the first set of tags.

Would I do it again...probably

Bob K

FYI  the proposed new law to extend the 5 year limitation to a 7 year limitation was  not approved. we are back to the  5 year or less age vehicle.   

In addition on Monday June 2nd they start to apply the new laws regarding foreign children being born here and their ability to be  Dominican citizens. This applies to only REGISTERED births from a specific span of years. This will be interesting.

Chikungunya update -  its spreading fast and the gov't is taking action,  hundreds of thousands of employees sent out to educate, fumigate and help! Lets hope it works.  the disease is easily spread,  brutal when you have it but unlikely to do serious long term damage or kill!  But you feel aweful when you have it - fever - nausea/vomiting,  body and joint pain and in many cases severe rash that is bothersome but not itchy!   treatment - acetaminophen, liquids.  Don't bother going to emergency unless you cannot keep anything down and are dehydrating. You will spend hours only to be told what I said here already.  Hospitals are full of those with the symptoms - unless you are very old or very young with compromised immune systems stay home.

Great advice on the treatment.  Stay away from hospitals if you can.

Bob K

Good advice people!
Hospitals are full of sick people I hear! :)

Not only full of sick people but here if you are not sick when you get admitted you will be shortly there after.

Bob K

That's what I'm saying. :)

Thanks for the helpful info!

2  updates - chikungunya count of reported or suspected cases is well over 140,000.  Now count in the number not going to hospital or doctor and you can at a minimum  triple this. 

I just heard about a case or two on the north coast in Puerto Plata - still not confirmed but not going to surprise me.

Chikungunya is NOT fatal, it is NOT dengue.  That being said it is not fun either -  some or all of these symptoms - fever for 4 to 6 days,  rash or spots (Dominicans call it allergy - it isn't),  body and joint pain - for many the lower back is bad, wrists, hands, feet, knees,  nausea for many. 

All you can do is take acetaminophen and plenty of fluids. Get it now before you need it!  Many pharmacies do not have any stock left. 

And this is the virus that keeps on giving.  I had it for 8 straight days, then it came back about a week later for 4 more days, then it came back again for  a couple of days and just last  weekend I had fever, spots and nausea for 2 days.  I have continuous joint pain as it has triggered  viral arthritis.  This can last up to 2 or 3 years but will go away.

If you get it -  rest!!!!!  Once you feel better - still rest!!! And then rest some more!!!!

2nd update - we are noticing many more electrical outages here in Santo Domingo.  Earlier this week we had reports of shortages of fuels in storage.

At that time there was a 7 day supply of LPG -  Cooking gas and used in some vehicles.
Natural Gas - we had  21 day supply
Petroleum products for electric generators - had a 7 day supply ONLY.

I've not read anywhere that this has been addressed or fixed.  SO coal firing generators will continue but we need to be prepared for  outage possibilities.  And I for one will get some LPG in case I decide to cook......LOL 

Side note - cooking with LPG here is cheap.  That is why we all use it.  I filled up my 50 pound tank when I moved last August 1st and it is still not empty......LOL

Yes we have a few cases here on the north coast. I know of two people.  The good news, but it is also bad news is that we have had very little rain here in the last two weeks (like NONE) so the misquote count is way down.  It waa so hot last night that I slept ouside on the terrace and not one misquote about.  Great night sleep outside.

Bob K

Here if not on a 24/7 line the outages have been more frequent and for longer periods of time.  Parts of Puerto Plata for hours at a time.

We at our house have not noticed and change from normal (2-3 times a week for a few minutes)

Bob K

Here in the capital on a 24/7 line outages every day this week.

I guess we are a bit luckier. In fact no outages that I know about (not sure about the middle of the night while sleeping) in the last 4-5 days.

Bob K

Here is something you need to see! It is unbelievable that this could be going on.....  http://colonialzone-dr.com/colonialzone … e-billini/

Why do you find this surprising?????  It is typical Dominican planning, building, fore thought, engineering and on and on.

What I am surprised at is that the Metro has not collapsed.

Bob K

It is unbelievable to me that such a project can be so badly screwed up!!!! Only fortunate no one was seriously hurt or electrocuted!

As reported on  Dominican Today an update on increases in tourism:

Santo Domingo.– Tourism minister Francisco Javier Garcia said that the growth experienced by the Dominican tourism industry in 2014 was extraordinary, and predicted that 2015 will be a much better year, with an average growth of over 10 percent and six million visitors.

According to Garcia, this achievement is the result of the joint efforts of both the public and private sectors. "Tourism reached record levels in nearly 12 months in 2014 compared with the same period in 2013," he said.

The minister recalled that in the year that just ended hotels spent more than $500 million dollars in agricultural products. He said there was a growth of 9.3% in November compared with the same month in 2013, reaching 33,293 additional visitors, which indicates that in that month the Dominican Republic received a total of 392,283 tourists.

Garcia noted that from January to November 2014, the country received 4,607,047 visitors, which represents an increase of 407,296 visitors, for a 7.7% growth.

My brother also got it and his new wife...Then he got it again....sounds nasty....

Good news on the tourism but until the Carnival port is open I don't think much of a change here on the north coast.  THough hotels currently are at 90% but remember there are lots of closures so this number may be inflated.

Bob K

Yes Bob you are correct, without that port opening I don't see much changing.  90% of  half the hotel beds on the north coast is not good.  Approximately 1/2 of the hotels / resorts are closed!!!!  Until that changes things are not good!!!

The government needs to open up the Puerto Plata airport to Spirit Airlines, that would do wonders.  But somebody in high places is getting paid off NOT to do so.

The heck with spirit air they just have to make the airfares reasonable in in line on what the cost is to fly to Santiago.  Right now it can be up to $200 more to fly to POP rather than Santiago.  Explain this one to me PLEASE.  It is now cheaper for us to fly from Santiago even with the cab fare.

Bob K

.....the government can't force American Airlines or other airlines lower their rates, but they do have the authority to open up POP Airport to other carriers.

Whats up with that? Does anyone have recommendations for flying to the airport near Las Terrenas?  I am looking for tickets for mid/end of June.  We are planning to stay at Jurasic Park in the hills above Las Terrenas.  Anyone else been there before?

Hello, we are entertaining the thought of moving from Northern Ireland UK to DR but want to do all our research first. We have family in the western part USA. We want to know how tough it will be moving to the DR. What the pitfalls are and the pluses. So looking forward to the warmth but not sure about the humidity. Nice to meet you. Perhaps this is the wrong place to introduce ourselves?

Do a lot more research, it is not in a 'SAFE" area!

Brian and Kelly welcome to the forum.  Lots of good folks here with lots of information for you.  So read all the threads on living here (there are lots).  Do not take Michita's comments to heart. Like anywhere there are safe areas and areas that are not safe, but this is true anywhere you call home.  If you are careful, don't do stupid things, don't go where you should not be you should not have a problem.  We have lived here full time  (30 days in 9 years back in in the US) for almost nine years and I have never felt threatened.

It does get warm here, actually down right hot during August-September and the humidity can high at times.  I develop what I call my summer sheen (damp skin) during the summer.

Have you been here before?  You should spend some time here exploring to see if he country fits you. It is not for everybody.

Again welcome.

Planner will be along here shortly I am sure and she may move this thread to the "introduce yourself " thread.

Bob K

Michita,

Why would you say that without some explanation?  Bob and Planner are very honest and up front about everything they know. And they share freely with everyone who wants to know... I feel that is an unfair comment without words/proof to back it up.  I am in the US and believe me there are places I would would not venture out here even in the mid-day.  And there are times of day or rather of night in lots of area's when your a fool to be about unless your working in law enforcement or a real job that requires you to be out... So again why would you say that to someone looking to come to the DR?

Sorry if everyone misunderstood me...I was talking about the area where Jurassic Park is. The hills around the town of Las Terrenas are where a lot of thefts occur, I lived in LT for 8 months last year and that is all the proof I need.   There are beautiful homes on the hills but they are somewhat isolated from each other and not safe.

The Dominican Republic is a beautiful island with its share of Third World problems, some people can adjust and others not...it's certainly worth a try, and I happen to really enjoy it!

Ok that is better.  Thanks

Bob K

Brian and Kelly,  welcome.  Yes we need to copy this over to the new members area.  However, do lots of reading here and then come back with some specific questions. Much of this has been covered.

As to airlines and prices - people this is covered by economics - supply and demand.  There is not enough demand to push down prices OR increase competition. Simple.   Until the north coast activity and demand picks up prices will not increase and other carriers will not come into the game.

I think it is more competition with no other carriers to Miami than the numbers of visitors.

Bob K

There are lots of others from NY, Atlanta etc....