Expat Living on Fixed Income

Would like to hear from expats who have been on a fixed income with Medicare before making the cross-border move.

Like many over 65, finances will get tigher and tighter as health care costs increase, making the main cost of
living, i.e., housing, harder to find and pay for.  Medicare plus Medicare supplement for me is running something on the order of $360.00 monthly, yet letting go could be disastrous.  Those of you who have had even outpatient surgery know that the costs are devastating.

Therefore, I'd like to hear from those who have found options to Medicare abroad.  If you think those over 65 with pre-
existing conditions can easily find an insurance carrier, I'd like to know about it.

As to location, I'm looking at Granada, Nicaragua.  No, I've never been in CA, but I have ample experience both living in working in Puerto Rico (before the present crime wave) and Mexico (ditto).  So, I have more than a fair idea of what it means to adjust to different cultures.  And I do speak and write Spanish.

Thanks
David

I know here in the DR as well as the international insurance we carry will NOT issue a policy  if you are 65  or older at the time of application.

Bob K

The general consensus among ALL of the organizations that deal with US citizens living abroad (especially seniors) is that except under very limited circumstances Medicare WILL NOT provide any coverage outside of the United States and its territories.

See link: http://americansabroad.org/issues/healt … -medicare/

Almost all of the others I've looked at give pretty much the exact same information, this is just much more extensive an overview.

Under the Affordable Care Act - "OBAMACARE" except under certain conditions you'd be subject to a fine if you didn't have "minimum essential healt coverage", the important exception is that you wouldn't be fined if you live abroad, since US insurers do not provide coverage abroad for anything other than emergency treatment.

http://blogs.angloinfo.com/us-tax/2013/ … obamacare/

Hope this helps, it's the information that's out there on the internet regarding this subject. Looks like chances are that you're out of luck regarding coverage unless you're lucky enough to fall into one of the few groups Medicare covers abroad.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

Precious not a dating site.

Bob K

Yes we qualify as an EXPAT (living outside the use for at least 330 days ayear) and don't fall under the crazy Obama Care.

Bob K

Could you expand on number of days living outside of USA?  What if u r on a six months Visa to Vietnam, do u have to leave for x number of days before u can return?  If u r gone more than x days formula do u lose any govt benefits such as ssn, health care etc?

If you are talking about US healthcare and Obama care you MUST physically be outside of the US for 330 days of the calendar year.  So a 6  month stay in Vietnam will not qualify

Bob K

Meet expats all over the world

OR