Being in Singapore whilst applying for jobs and the chance to get one

Good evening all,

My name is Risqo, an Indonesian.
I have been reading many posts here discussing job opportunities in Singapore and found that job applicants must be in Singapore whilst applying for jobs. Does this mean that foreigners have the same chance as locals to be hired when they are in the country, especially in financial industry?

For additional information, I am a finance and investment graduate of London Metropolitan University, with 1 year internship experience in one of London-based wealth management firms. I was also a Liaison Officer for Singapore Athletics Team during SEAGAMES XXVI and a former Ambassador of Education and Culture in my country.

Massive thanks for those who are willing to answer my query.

risqowahid wrote:

I have been reading many posts here discussing job opportunities in Singapore and found that job applicants must be in Singapore whilst applying for jobs. Does this mean that foreigners have the same chance as locals to be hired when they are in the country, especially in financial industry?

No.
Locals have to be preferentially hired by law if they have suitable qualifications, so you only have a chance if there are not enough similarly skilled locals in your field.
Wit the Fair Consideration Framework (google it!) coming into effect in a few days, this law got a formal process to enforce it. Employers must post job openings on a board (run and controlled by the government) open only to locals first and can only hire foreigners if no suitable applicant applies there.
That said, applications (also by foreigners) that have no local address and contact number are usually discarded immediately, since local employers do not like the hazzle of arranging an interview for people not in the country.

risqowahid wrote:

For additional information, I am a finance and investment graduate of London Metropolitan University, with 1 year internship experience in one of London-based wealth management firms. I was also a Liaison Officer for Singapore Athletics Team during SEAGAMES XXVI and a former Ambassador of Education and Culture in my country.

It will be difficult in a crowded industry (finance) and with very little work experience.
But as always, your connections from previous involvement in Singapore could be very helpful - use them to your best advantage!