Any tips to finding a job in Kiev?

Hello there :)

I am Boglárka, and I am looking forward to moving to Kiev in the near future. My accommodation is already fix, but I am wondering if anyone could help me in giving a couple of tips for finding a job in Kiev? What are my chances :) ?  I come from Hungary, Budapest. My native language is Hungarian and other than that I speak English and some French.

Depending on how good your English is and how much money you need, you can teach English.  What other skills do you have?

My English is pretty good since I grew up in Canada basically. Teaching English would not be a bad idea but I am not sure I have the kind of skills. In other words, I don't have a qualification for it.

I am currently working for IBM as a Global Bid Manager and would be interested to see what opportunities I would have in a similar role in Kiev. Other then business management I would also be interested in working in international or cultural affairs. For example I would love to work for an NGO. I don't have specific salary expectations.

Certs are a technicality.  I know many expats legal and illegal who teach English. If you know English you have an international portable skill.

I tend to forget that sometimes things are more flexible than they seem :) How would you recommend I start?

you can email me at [email protected] and I can suggest a friend to speak with that teaches English in Ukraine if he agrees.

Will do and thank you!

Hello Boglarka  :cheers:

Kindly note that a new thread has been created as from your post on the Kiev Forum so as to help you get better visibility and interactions.

Regards
Kenjee

I will give you the bottom line and you aren't going to like the answer.

First finding a job OUTSIDE of teaching English is near impossible.  Ukrainian companies MUST justify to the gov't why they are hiring a foreign national and not a local.  Secondly they must endure the cost, time, and effort to get you a Temporary Residence Permit AFTER they have helped you get a Type D Visa.  A Type D Visa is the ONLY long term Visa issued BUT it is only valid for 45 days.  So I suggest you get here the day after it is issued and register with OVIR so you can get your permit.  THEE key to OVIR is you must have a sponsor that will register you with Zhek or you don't get anything.  You can come here for UP TO 90 days Visa Free ONCE every SIX MONTHS.  You can get a Type C VISA that has those same restrictions BUT can be issued for Double or Multiple entry/exit during the 90 day period of validity.

Teaching English for a school sucks.  You will be treated poorly and paid very little in the local currency.  You are far better to go it on your own.  Anything that is associated with the British Council and you can forget it unless you are CELTA certified and attended one of the schools the British Council lists.  Frankly the British Council is not only arrogant but has a "lock" on the market here.  American English Center will start you off PART TIME with Conversation Clubs for about 80 UAH an hour (12 UAH to 1 USD right now).  Other schools do the same.

I have been teaching English for four years now and have been on my own for two years now and do very well but I am very busy.  There is a huge demand for American English (Canadian is close enough) because the locals are sick and tired of the British English.  In fact most borrowed words in Russian and Ukrainian come from American English...like 95%.

I hope I have not burst your bubble but that you now know what you are walking into.  You may contact me directly at: *** my mobile.

Best wishes, Steve

Oh yes I almost forgot....Your French Language Skills will work here as well.  I cannot speak to your Hungarian.

Also with your background there are some people I can but you in contact with or pass your CV/Resume onto.  I cannot guarantee anything other than I will personally get it to the Managing Partner or the Owner respectively.  Take a look at Microsoft here.  But what ever you do decide I STRONGLY suggest you get your Russian Language Skills UP to at least General Conversational Level.  You did not be proficient, just understandable.

Take care, Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your information.. very valid and good to see someone with a diligent answer.
I am Australian and a native English speaker, I don't have a teaching background. My actual career is in Retail Senior management. but I struggle to find anything there as you mentioned. Not easy at all.

So in order for me to teach, do I need a teaching certificate?   If so I can do what we have here called Tesol degree in teaching..

Your info has been great and would appreciate any info you can provide.

Regards
Sedat

Sedat.O wrote:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your information.. very valid and good to see someone with a diligent answer.
I am Australian and a native English speaker, I don't have a teaching background. My actual career is in Retail Senior management. but I struggle to find anything there as you mentioned. Not easy at all.

So in order for me to teach, do I need a[b] doubtful in getting a repons  teaching certificate?   If so I can do what we have here called Tesol degree in teaching..

Your info has been great and would appreciate any info you can provide.

Regards
Sedat

This post is over 5 years old, I am not sure who you are resondung to, but if it was the last they have not been active in 3 years on the site so you will be doubtful in getting a response. Saying that  you have done the right thing as I've noticed you  have created a new post.

We wish you luck in your job find.

SimCityAT
Expat Team

Hello :)

No you do not need a teaching certificate unless you want to work for the British Council but you will, as I mentioned, have to of attended one of their schools to obtain the certificate/diploma I mentioned.  Also the current exchange rate is 24.64 UAH to the U.S. Dollar.  Since the five years ago I wrote the original post many native speakers have left because at the exchange rate now it is almost impossible to survive on just pay from a school unless it is one of the high end ones like the BC.  If you have retirement income that helps greatly but the "killer" is getting a residency permit as I mentioned.

If you have further question use my contact info in my original post.

Take care, Steve

I just replied.  I am only active when I see a post worth responding to that concerns Ukraine since I live here full time OR someone replies to a post of mine.

Hello!

If you have experience in IBM, you can easily find jobs here in IBM or some other IT companies.
I work for IT companies for the last 10 years and I'm sure, you can easily find something according to your skills.
All the best!

Regards,
Tuttus