Single woman $900 a month?

I am hoping to retire early in Cuenca on $900 a month. My income is 1425, but I have fixed bills, need to have money to send my daughter in college and 1 trip for her to visit each year. The $900 needs to cover rent, food, transportation, health ins. and utilities. I am hoping to find rent of $300 that will accept 2 small dogs. Is it feasible to live decently (not extravagantly) on this amount and is my rent budget reasonable? I do not need to live in an expat area as long as it's safe.

It's possible but it'll really be tight. Your two wild cards: 1) the health insurance, which of course will vary according to your health and level of coverage, and 2) your pets. The rental market is extremely tight right now and landlords would prefer not to rent to pet owners.

Mugtech, I live in Washington State. I'm used to rainy and cloudy for about 9 months out of the year.

Thanks, Ed. If I find a place to rent, how do long-term leases work? In other words, if the prices keep going up, is my rent going to increase? I've heard the more people moving there, the more landlords are charging. Do you see Cuenca going the way of Panama, where all the expats moving there and willing to pay more than the typical rent causes it to keep going up because there's more demand than supply and even if the price is higher than a local would pay, expats are willing to pay it because they consider it cheap compared to what they would pay back home?

MissDenver, If you have a monthly income of $1425 of which $900 is disposable for living expenses in Cuenca, you should have no problems getting in to Ecuador and living (not extravagantly) in Cuenca. I know of a young (midforties) family of four who live here with several dogs and have been renting a house for the past 2 years for $300/month. They are still young and augment their fixed income of $1000/m with various odds and ends jobs.  Both Mom and Dad are hustling and have been able to see an increase in their income from it. Your daughter will not be in College forever and you will have to be creative about the yearly trips to Cuenca. Can't she help with that??  The expat community in Cuennca is expected to grow over the coming years, even according to Ecuadorian Government expectations. It is supposed to multiply several times. And like Ed said, health insurance is an unknown variable.  But I see that you want to retire early, so you are still relatively young.  How is your health? If one really wants to meet Ecuadorians in daily live and not live solely in gated, isolated communities, life here can and will be reasonable (cheap) and very pleasant.  How is your Spanish??  If good, good.  If not, start practicing and become fluent.  Good luck.

I do not want to live in a gated community, nor do I want to live where the majority of expats do. That said, I need to live in a safe area and close to the bus line. My health is good. My Spanish is almost non-existent, but I've been studying. My daughter can help with the trips to Cuenca once she graduates from college, but right now all her money from her part time job goes to tuition, room & board and living expenses. I don't live extravagantly at all and if I go out to eat, I hope to eat at local restaurants and not "gringo" restaurants. My biggest dilemma is buying furniture, appliances and household goods when I get there. I wanted to ship a few boxes (1 pallet = $1,200) but I heard a horror story from someone who paid over $5,000 due to delays in customs, payoffs, etc.

Miss Denver, what you are describing has already been happening here for years. Some Cuencano landlords with nice properties try their best to rent to gringos because 1) we will pay more and 2) we pay on time.

The supply/demand issue is growing exponentially as more new expats prefer to rent than buy, at least at first. This is a good idea, but I've wondered if decreasing inventory may eventually contribute to less foreigners moving here because there are not enough suitable residences.

I would recommend you find a short term furnished apartment until you are more certain of where you really want to live. I know expats who have moved 3 or 4 times before they finally settled down. Once you find the right place, yes, be sure to negotiate a long term lease (reviewed by your attorney) that eliminates future surprises.

These forums are overly slanted towards folks who have had negative experiences and want to rant. People who are having a pleasant life rarely take the time to sit down and share this information. They're too busy enjoying themselves!

Edd,

Always the voice of reason. I will arrive in Cuenca on July 24.
My life will be simplified and Spanish will be a priority. Perhaps you can recommend a language school or teacher.
Academic studies for me included 3 years of Latin, so I can understand literature in Spanish. I just cannot speak properly.

Look forward to meeting you.

Carl

Hello Miss Denver,

There's many areas in Cuenca that suits what're you looking for but you're not going to find them on the internet or in many real state web pages. Once you get here you have to look around and look on local newspapers.

About furniture, there's many good options in Cuenca and many stores, with a wide range of prices.

And about moving a pallet, you can get this huge delays if you bring a full container, for a pallet you pay like $5 per day in delays if it happens.

Vinny

I've been reading this thread with great interest. Thank you, MissDenver for starting it
I am also a single woman looking to relocate and am considering Cuenca. You're questions and following information was timely
I will be traveling in September of this year and have two months to check things out.
So many of you have such positive thoughts about this area. Really is good to hear. I, too, will be on a limited income. I do have some Spanish and will start a college class in a few weeks.  I want to live near public transportation so as to not need a car. 
Thanks for sharing.  BTW what will the weather be like there in September?
Patti

The weather here changes multiple times per day, so it's hard to answer about a whole month. We do have minor seasonal variations which run opposite to the US since we're in the southern hemisphere. For September think late winter/early spring--but without frigid temps. In general we experience cloudy, warm to cool weather all year.

hello miss denver glad to hear you are thinking to make that
big move to ecuador yes you can live on that budget i would love
to help if you need any advice please feel free to email me at [email protected]
or you can call me at 13475203707 its a magic jack number

Lots of expats living in Bahia or San clement for less then 900 a month.  Bahia de Caraquez is small and compact. you can walk everywhere

I also want to move to Ecuador I am single I am trying to find someone who would travel there with me and be a friend we could help each other through the process. I have a dog my family are grown I want to retire in late 2014 that is when I can take social security.i live in Arizona anywhere in USA is too expensive for me to retireI would have to work for many years and don't want to. I want to enjoy life while I can

Hi Helen,

The best option to retire that is easy and safe is along the coast in Manabi, there are many pre-sale projects on the rise. As well as key infrastructure projects which include a Shopping centre, movies. PGA quality Golf course.
People make the mistake to move to Cuenca due to the heavy marketing. There are some cheap place to rent there, but its a big city and tough to get around. Daily taxis will wear down your funds. Owning and driving a car in Ecuador.. been there done that, never again.

all of this posted information is very informative!  I love it.  New to this blog and signed on because I am planning on moving to Ecuador by end of 2014 at the earliest.  I'm a gypsy by nature so picking up and moving is an adventure for me.  I will have the bare minimum for a pensioners visa, but I do plan to find work at least parttime.  The extra income plus something to do with my time is the goal there.  I'm torn between Cuenca or somewhere on the coast -- going to try and make a trip down there end of this year for a looksy -- hopefully I can make some friends via this blog and meet up and learn more from the experienced EXpats living in Ecuador.  I'll be renting at first.  I do have a question regarding construction companies=== I have a friend who like to work in the construction trade in Ecuador.  He does run his own company here in the states.  He is curious how hard it would be to get in with a company in Ecuador.  Thank you in advance for all information and responses - Can't wait to get there.

Hey you understand the average income there is $300-400 a month can't imagine working for that.
Do you research on the country before you go that's why prices are low. Some of us will be living on our social security hopfully

Hi Helen,
Oh I have been researching and as I stated, coming down for an in person review so to speak.  I understand the average salary is low compared to the US - I have an income already and only in my mid forties.  I will have SS Retirement in about 25 years as well.  However, I'd like to stay busy and earn a few more bucks that is why I mentioned the job. The job isn't necessarily my living expenses.  ;-) I don't want to necessarily open a biz either. 
I have lived in other countries, so I'm quite adaptable.  I'm really not concerned with "culture shock".  I can tell you I experienced more culture shock moving to North Carolina several years ago than I did living in Korea or Mexico.  LOL

You are a gypsy sound like you know what you are doing for sure.

[Moderated: Off-topic.]

Unless you're dead set on Cuenca, you may want to consider a smaller town where your cost of living will be lower. To give you an idea of how much of a difference it can make, when I'm in Las Peñas I live on about $300 per month. When I'm in Quito I struggle to keep my expenses under $1500. It's not just housing cost that vary widly, but also food.

$900/month is totally doable in Quito. That's about what my husband and I spend on the both of us.

very easy to do, and I can help you find a very nice house/condo/apartment for no more than $300/month, unfurnished...I rent a two-bedroom now for $200, furnished it for $2500, and rent out my one extra room for $250/month...I will soon rent a four-bedroom house for $300, furnish it and do the same...but just for yourself I assure you that you can EASILY live in Cuenca for $900/month....happy to help you ([email protected])

as I have shared elsewhere it is very easy to find comfortable, attractive furniture for your house/apartment here...I furnished my 2 bedroom for $2500....the mattresses made locally are outstanding!

tazyd wrote:

I will have the bare minimum for a pensioners visa, but I do plan to find work at least parttime.  The extra income plus something to do with my time is the goal there.

It's my understanding, from what I have read, that if you come on a pensioners visa you can not work ... at least legally.  I'm in much the same situation.  My Social Security if I'm very lucky will be just over the minimum of $800.  However, with my MA, I will qualify for a professional visa,  which also will allow me to work.  I'm looking to settle in Cotacachi, north of Quito.

I am reading a lot about living in Quito and I am thinking more along the lines of living somewhere along the coast.  Can anyone give me some advice about where a good place would be?

Bahia de Caraquez

megawattman1 wrote:

I am reading a lot about living in Quito and I am thinking more along the lines of living somewhere along the coast.  Can anyone give me some advice about where a good place would be?

You might find this interesting as a start.  It covers beach communities all along the coast.

http://ecuadorbeaches.org/beaches/santa … nas-beach/

most gringos would agree that Salinas is the best place to live on the coast, though I would choose the beaches of Olon or Ayampe anyday

Thank you for the replies!  I will do some further research on these places!

Hola  why those beach areas as opposed to Bahia?? And what can you tell me about Loja areas vs Cuencav vs Ambato/Banks areas to live affordably and good weather hospitals, convenience of shopping . gracias
[email protected]

Joanneinict wrote:

It's my understanding, from what I have read, that if you come on a pensioners visa you can not work ... at least legally.

A pensioner visa (9-I) is a resident immigrant visa. The Type 9-xx visas are "permanent" visas. You can work with any of the Type 9-xx resident visas.

From Viva Tropical, http://vivatropical.com/ecuador/ecuador-visa (this was just one quick link I found) from July 2014:

Unlike non-immigrant status, immigrant (or resident) visas are issued for an indefinite period of time (as long as you continue to meet the requirements for the specific visa). They also allow their bearers to seek employment in Ecuador, unlike their non-resident counterparts. Examples of immigrant visas are as follows:

Pensioner (9-I Visa) – This visa option is available to people of any age who can prove income from a guaranteed source (like a pension or annuity) that equals at least $800 per month.  Another income option is a cash deposit in an Ecuadorian bank that generates the required amount of monthly cash flow.  Dependents are also eligible, but require an additional $100 each.

Real Estate Investment (9-II Visa) – Foreigners can qualify for this visa by either purchasing property valued at $25,000 or more or by purchasing a certificate of deposit in an Ecuadorian bank for the same amount (plus $500 for each dependent) for at least a one-year fixed term.

Industry Investment (9-III Visa) – Another investment option is to pour in at least $30,000 to an Ecuadorian enterprise, such as industry, agriculture, livestock, minerals, and more.

Professional/Technical (9-IV and 10-V Visa) – These visas are offered to company representatives or technical experts who are working under contract for a company based in Ecuador (10-IV) and professionals with college degrees who wish to work in Ecuador (9-V).  Applicants for the latter must have a degree that's recognized by a local university and must also fulfill all other requirements for practicing their profession (i.e. exams and licensing).

Economic Dependence (9-VI Visa) – This Ecuador visa is granted to family members of applicants receiving the above visas, as well as dependent spouses of current citizens or those whose child is an Ecuadorian citizen.

HTH

Thanks, we settled that a few months ago, although I don't know that I ever posted it here.  It's not the Ecuadorian government that puts the restrictions on expats working.  US Social Security will only allow expats to work 45 hours a month.  Just one of those arbitrary rules.  :(

Waving at you from Wichita!

Joanneinict wrote:

Thanks, we settled that a few months ago.  It's not the Ecuadorian government that puts the restrictions on expats working.  US Social Security will only allow expats to work 45 hours a month.  Just one of those arbitrary rules.  :(

Until you reach full retirement age, then in some cases up to 85% of your SS is taxable on form 1040, but no earning restrictions.  If it is earned income, as of 2015 , the first $100,800 of foreign earned income is excluded from taxable income.

Joanneinict wrote:

Thanks, we settled that a few months ago, although I don't know that I ever posted it here.  It's not the Ecuadorian government that puts the restrictions on expats working.  US Social Security will only allow expats to work 45 hours a month.  Just one of those arbitrary rules.  :(

Waving at you from Wichita!

Hmm... I've not run across that stipulation. I do know that I have to pay SS Taxes, if I work, but never the 45 hour thing. Would you by a slim chance remember where at the SS site you got that information? I'm not on a 9-I (rather a 9-II), but I'm just really curious. Believe me, it's only out of curiosity, as I "did my time", and have no intention of ever returning to the workforce :-)

I grew up in Salina neighbor...

THX

mugtech wrote:
Joanneinict wrote:

Thanks, we settled that a few months ago.  It's not the Ecuadorian government that puts the restrictions on expats working.  US Social Security will only allow expats to work 45 hours a month.  Just one of those arbitrary rules.  :(

Until you reach full retirement age, then in some cases up to 85% of your SS is taxable on form 1040, but no earning restrictions.  If it is earned income, as of 2015 , the first $100,800 of foreign earned income is excluded from taxable income.

That's also the understanding I had mugtech.

Hi Bob, Yes, that provision is only for those under full retirement age ... like us young'uns.  :D  Sorry, I should have made that clearer.  I'm going to throw in these links for anyone that might be interested though.

They're uploaded in the Ecuador Expat group on FB.  This FAQ talks about the Foreign work test

https://americansabroad.org/issues/soci … urity-faq/

Full details can be gleaned from the publication Social Security Payments Outside the United States on "Your Payments While You Are Outside the United States." Best advice is to check with the Federal Benefits Unit serving the country where you live (can be accessed via the American embassy website), which can be found at: www.usembassy.gov.

Hope this helps.

Not true!! The $800 a month for a pensioners visa is to prove you have enough to live on. You can work here legally on any visa. If you start your own business you will have to get a RUC number.