Getting Pre-1975 Birth Certificate To Current.

I am in the process of getting my dual (Canadian-Vietnamese) citizenship. I would update my progress along the way.

After visiting the so-called government-assist agency who wanted $2,200 (converted from Vietnamese Dong) for doing the dual citizenship. I courteously left the office. All is not for naught, however. I did get the impression that the starting point would be getting the old birth certificate converted to current format. Another worthy note is that I may not have to prove my 1-year continuous residency (this is because the agent said it would take about 4 to 6 months).

My BC (birth certificate) indicates that I was born in District 5. The office responsible for issuing/re-issuing of birth certificate for District 5 is at 203 Hong Bang, just north of Ngo Quyen street on the right hand side (coming from Cho Lon).

Armed with black and white printout (I have scanned copy of my bc) of my bc, I entered the office. After showing one the people sitting behind my black and white bc, she told to press number 3 (for birth related issue) on the ticket machine by the entrance. I was there at about 11:00 AM. As soon as I got my number, my number is called. (I like this government service)!

I was then asked for some kind of identification. With my rusty/broken Vietnamese, I showed her my passport and tried to explain to her I don't have any other identification. Since I have a Canadian name which is not even close to what my BC shows, I tried to tell her this is best I can do and that I would like to get my dual citizenship for staying in Vietnam. She took a look at my passport mug shot and told me it would cost $30,000 Dong and that she would give me 10 copies! I told her that I would only need 1 to do the dual citizenship. She said a bunch of thing which I don't understand. But for $30,000, I figure why not. She then told me to come back on Wednesday, as it takes 3 business days.

So, there. Step one complete. :cheers:

I'll get a good friend of mine (THD) to upload the document once I get it with the personal information blurred out of course.

I believe the next step is visiting the office on Nguyen Du.
Feel free to message me for more information.

Good initiative TC0088.  I can see another step you can do on your own that will definitely be a requirement.  The name on your birth certificate doesn't match your passport.  You'll need to show the link between them.  Did you have a name change document somewhere?

For US Citizens, there is an affidavit one can sworn to at the US Consulate that says the two names are the same person, which when stamped by the US Consulate, taken to the VN Foreign Affairs service to be authenticated, will be accepted by the Vietnamese government.

I would think the Canadian Consulate has one like this.  When you link your birth certificate with your passport, it would show that the you of today is the same you of yesteryear on that birth certificate. 

This will help the process of you getting your dual citizenship easier.

I have scanned copy of the name change certificate.
Do you know if there is a place in the city I can print out in colour? Coloured documents are considered original document in Australia. I am not sure if it applies here.
By the way, I don't mean the colour of the paper it is printed on. :lol: I mean the document number is normally in red. :cheers:

TC0088 wrote:

I have scanned copy of the name change certificate.
Do you know if there is a place in the city I can print out in colour? Coloured documents are considered original document in Australia. I am not sure if it applies here.
By the way, I don't mean the colour of the paper it is printed on. :lol: I mean the document number is normally in red. :cheers:

If you scanned it and put it on a USB memory stick, you can go to any shop that has an "In Màu" sign next to a "Photo coppy" "foto copy" or some misspelled variant.  This means the place can print in color for you.  Some even have a laser printer, so if you see "Laser In Màu", you're golden. 

In = print, Màu = color

Ok, thanks. I'll keep an eye out for these print shops and hope Nguyen Du office accepts the printout as original.

Hi guys,
       Does getting your dual citizenship mean you don't have to renew your visa every three months? Also does it mean you can get a dual passport?

Gerard

jedimac wrote:

Hi guys,
       Does getting your dual citizenship mean you don't have to renew your visa every three months? Also does it mean you can get a dual passport?

Gerard

Yes and yes.

Great! I want one. I plan on making a life here, so it would brilliant to have. What do I have to do?

Tran Hung Dao wrote:
jedimac wrote:

Hi guys,

Gerard

Yes and yes.

Yes on the first part and a question on the second. What do you consider a "Dual passport"? You'll still maintain your UK one and when your application is approved you'll be issued a VN passport. As far as how to start the process you can search through various threads on the subject here on the blog. Look for the responses/information that Wild_1 has posted, he has the best answers on the subject. That being said and not to be negative about the question you have about as much of a chance getting it approved as a snow ball in hell, biased on what you provided in your profile. Good luck....

What do you mean? Based on what's in my profile?

jedimac wrote:

What do you mean? Based on what's in my profile?

What I meant was your profile didn't give any info about ties to relatives here in Vietnam (Mother, Father..) that you were born here or anything that the gov would even consider an application from you. Again not to be negative you really need to dig into this on past postings here or at least do a search on Google about it.

Here's a starting point off the web:

http://www.lookatvietnam.com/2009/06/ne … nship.html

jedimac wrote:

Great! I want one. I plan on making a life here, so it would brilliant to have. What do I have to do?

To qualify for Vietnamese citizenship, I think you'd have to be like a war hero, contribute something glorious to the development of the country, marry a Vietnamese citizen, or have parents who are Vietnamese citizens. 

Here's the info from the Ministry of Justice (in English to boot!)

http://moj.gov.vn/tthc/TTHCEn/Lists/Adm … ?IdTTHC=25

Ok, thanks for your help and info. I'm hoping to contribute something glorious to the development of the country very soon. In the educational department. Well here's to dreaming anyhoo! ;-)

jedimac wrote:

Ok, thanks for your help and info. I'm hoping to contribute something glorious to the development of the country very soon. In the educational department. Well here's to dreaming anyhoo! ;-)

Just marry a local girl. Everybody's doing it...it's the hot trend.  :P

So if I marry a local girl it's easy to get my dual passport? I'm considering it anyway. There are so many great girls here. I'd be a fool not too. ;-)

jedimac wrote:

So if I marry a local girl it's easy to get my dual passport? I'm considering it anyway. There are so many great girls here. I'd be a fool not too. ;-)

Sure, if you marry Trương Tấn Sang's daughter.

THD wrote:

it's the hot trend.

Until you run into one of these honeys.

http://img66.photobucket.com/albums/v201/vietprideeee/VIETPRIDE.jpg

What a great life you are going to have...

hahaha  stop kidding about my future bride.

Here's the bc before and after:

http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy81/TC_Chung/General/pre-1975-bc_zps42749a7e.jpeg

http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy81/TC_Chung/General/post-1975-bc_zpsa4697867.jpeg

Hello,

I saw your old Extract of Birth Certificate (like mine) which I'm having a little problem of translate in English (I'm fluently in English but just want to make sure before I submit to the USCI). How am I suppose to translate it? Word to word, Like:
Con trai hay con gai = Boy or girl   (instead of SEX = Male, female)
Ten ho nguoi cha = Father' first, last name   (instead of Father' full name)
Vo Chanh hay ko hon thu= Legally wife or without marriage certificate
Ten Ho nguoi dung khai= Declared person' first, last name ?

Finally : Vien Chuc Ho Tich = Civil Registry Officer?  ( My was signed by Captain Bui van Ngoc)

Thanks !

Poor bastard! As a victim of bureaucracy, I salute his journey into the red tape jungle. :schadenfreude:

I dont have anything of his level of difficulty, but been there, done that, got the months of waiting.

Icmac2,

Look at the old bc. It will state which district you were born. Take your old BC to that district responsible for birth certificate. They will do it for you for a small fee. They will give you half a dozen certified new bc. You don't do the translation!

TC.

TC0088 spoke the truth. I did the registering the certificates' english version twice.First time use the official approved translator, get done in normal speed. Second time, I translated the thing myself. They made a mess out of that, costing time, though I still got it done.

Each office has some translator with official reconization linked to them, or so the clerk said. To save time, go through the  translators.

An additional note: you are in Vietnam. The official language is Vietnamese.
So if your documents are in Vietnamese, there is no need to do any translation!

Thanks !!! In this case, I'm going to translate the BC to English then submit to USCI ( US Immigrant ), there are few Vietnamese term that I wasn't sure how to translate it (like word to word or US style), USCI can be picky :)

I've been told that it will be easier to get a job if you are vietnameese citizen.  I was born in vietnam but lost my birth certificate when I left back in 1975. 

How can I get a copy of my birth certificate? is it possible ?

thank you !
LNR