Attorney Planning to Move to SMA/looking for a Job/make connections

Hello!

My name is Adriana. I am planning on moving to San Miguel de Allende in the next several months to study international trade/law. However, I am hoping to find a job prior to moving there. I have found it very difficult to find job openings.  Do any of you have any suggestions as to how I can find job openings? I'm a lawyer, but I have a Bachelor's degree in English. I am also fluent in Spanish. I am open to consider any professional position including, but not limited to anything related to the law and/or teaching where I can utilize my skills. Any thoughts and/or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Your school cannot help you? It is alway easier once there. Have you checked on the legal requirements?

Jobs, per se, are few and far between for expats.  And if you do find one, they pay far below what you would be used to making in the states.

I think it would be almost impossible to find a job before you get here.  But if you want to look, a couple of options are the Yahoo group called the civil_list... just google it and ask to join.  Also, guanajuato.craigslist.com might have some listings, altho doubtful.  I have not looked. It is a craigslist based out of the town of Guanajuato, capitol of the State of Guanajuato where San Miguel is located.

I run a facebook group called San Miguel Buy Sell Trade!  (get the name right, there are a couple of imitators... not so good).... and you could post looking for a job there. Ask to join and maybe message me to let me know you are the one from CA.... it is generally just for people living in San Miguel already.

Having lived here for a couple of years, I can tell you that most expats have to create their own jobs... and they run the gamut from selling homemade food, soups, restaurants, realtors, running retail stores, travel agencies etc etc etc.

You will have to get a work permit in order to work here... if you find a job for a company they could add you on... otherwise, you will need to get a work permit.  Not too difficult to get, just takes some time... 1-2 months, sometimes longer.  Cost around $200 US or maybe more.

Hope this helps... Suerte (good luck) to you!

You can get a work permit with a tourist entry permit (now called a Visitante Permit).

Here's the link to the civil_list.... with over 8,000 members (not all active tho) it is the best way to get the word out to the expat community.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Civil_SMA

okay, I guess they "review" links, so I will post it with spaces... obviously remove them  :)

https :// groups. yahoo. com/ neo/ groups/ Civil_SMA

They don't allow links and I find that rather cheap and mean. There are yahoo groups for Patzcuaro and San Miguel.

Cnico, thank you for the advice! I will definitely follow it. I appreciate it very much!