American-riyadh

Is it safe for Americans to live in Riyadh? I know several Americans who live in Saudi, but they all live in Dhahran. I've heard it is much more difficult (and quite unsafe) for Americans to live in Riyadh. Is that true? Any feedback on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

It is true that there are a lot of americans in Dhahran. Many came during the 70's to work for modern day ARAMCO. But there's many in Riyadh too. I don't think it is an unsafe to live in Riyadh. There's probably equal American population there. Riyadh is a bit more conservative and unruly i think. That's all. Once you get used to the local culture and norms, you won't find it much different.

br,

I don't know where you got your information but I'm from California and think it is safer here than there - but maybe not the driving...  If you are smiling, happy, respectful person - open to new ideas, different culture, and new adventure you will have a great time here'.  I have more friends and go to even the ghettos here at all hours (fun, cheap eats) even by myself and never have problems - in fact I find all the people here very pleasant...  Love gets love - always has!    Mike e.

You have all the right answers now.

Thank you both for your input! It helps to get feedback from everyone. Truly appreciate it! : )

yeah its safer here than US.  Im in riyadh also, 3 years now

Are you from the US? What part? Do you feel like you are a target for crime/terrorism?

hahah...that is so stereotyped .....i will let him answer for himself/herself

Well, please excuse my ignorance on the situation. I know that I'm not fully informed.  : ) BUT, I am trying to gather all of the facts...and so appreciate everyone's help on it!

Saudi is a very safe city. No one is a target for crime/terrorism. Very little crime rate. On the contrary if you tell them you are american everyone will want to hangout wid you immediately. You will make a lot of friends here.

thank you for the response! Good to know!!! Where are you from originally? Country, I mean.

I come from UK and have been living in Saudi for nearly 5 years on and off.

thesuz,

If you are an American and you do what you are supposed to do, you do not have any thing to worry about.

Understand. Thank you so much! : )

thesuz wrote:

Is it safe for Americans to live in Riyadh? I know several Americans who live in Saudi, but they all live in Dhahran. I've heard it is much more difficult (and quite unsafe) for Americans to live in Riyadh. Is that true? Any feedback on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

I have American teacher and from other different western countries, I haven't heard anyone unsafe ir uncomfortable. So relax and have fun it's new experience :)

thesuz wrote:

Are you from the US? What part? Do you feel like you are a target for crime/terrorism?

does it matter where im from in the US?

If i felt like i was a target for crime or terrorism here, then wouldnt my reply imply that i am often a target of both in the US?

Stop being a paranoid and get a job. its not rocket science

I am a woman from the UK living in Riyadh with my husband and I feel very safe. I go out and about and get on with my business and it's just fine. There is the odd weirdo but they are everywhere in the world. People are generally polite and respectful, they certainly don't pour scorn on the westeners as long as we are keeping to the rules which we should be doing anyway.

I wouldn't worry too much about anything you have read in the press. Be respectful, embrace it and you will enjoy Riyadh I'm sure.

Its as safe as can be. I am from Omaha and have lived here over 2 years. Never a problem. I dont even live in a western compound. I roam freely. Once people know you are a Yankee, they would want to be your friends. Very hospitable people with great love for the US and Americans. Go for it.

Hey all
There is a huge expat community here in Riyadh. Especially where I work.

It is indeed a different culture even for some Arabs from different countries but once you understand it, you will just be fine.
Be open to others and find good friends to be around, positive ones! It will make the experience much easier and smoother. That's what most of us does here.

Good luck!

Absolutely safe in Saudi Arabia....don't worry, only in USA you have to worry...
Enjoy the heat and sand...

who said that? Riyadh and all cities in Ksa  the more safety place for all nationalities

thesuz wrote:

don't worry  because there are  human beings living in Riyadh and  so  far they are all alive and kicking! lol