Making friends in cape town

Hello all,

I have been in CT for just under a year and it has been quite difficult to make new friends. Locals don't seem too interested to make new friends. Any ideas?

Hello krishp and welcome to Expat.com!

Perhaps that a little introduction will help you, who knows?;)

Harmonie.:)

Hi.

I have lived in Cape Town for years and also find it difficult to find friends I have things in common with:-)
Maybe we could meet for a coffee??

Regards Sarah

I have worked in the major cities of South Africa and worked throughout Europe. I am a relatively recent British arrival.

After 18 months in Cape Town, I find that the friends I have made tend to be from outside of Cape Town. Durban and JHB were totally different.

I would love to be proved wrong but a large percentage of Capetonians are cliquey and tend to stick to their own social circle. It does take time but it does happen in the end.

Cheers,

Hi

Iv been here 4 weeks after leaving a big group of friends in the UK so missin the fun and interaction! Im keen to get to know people and explore Cape Town

It depends on what kind of social circle you hang out in, if you want to make friends take part in a certain activity:
Join a painting class, or a soccer team, find a book club, take a language class.
Use your hobby/interests to find friends, joining groups that have similar interests is the best way to make friends.
That's how you were able to make so many friends in school; you were part of the same class or team and you met people with similar interests through each other.

Paumo is right. It all depends on what kind of friends you want to make and what activities you enjoy :)  I am Cape Townian by birth, so I have a core group of friends that I hang with but also end up meeting new people through other avenues.

Let me know if you want a guide :)

Shame, i know what you mean.It is quite tought o find friends in CT,they are cliquy here.It took me a while to find my little niche, if you want to hang out sometime just inbox me:D,don't worry you'll be fine

@ krishp, u dnt have to worry much abt this cuz capetwn pple arent use 2 meeting new friends as they prefer pple they know from skool/family relatives... u can email me at " [email protected]" to hang out bt i stay in pretoria.
@iboyle.. can we hang out cuz u must have lot of oversea travellin experience which am dreamin to become in future.can u email me also

Yours  faithfully
tony

interesting...yeh when i am on holiday there...hmmm lil boring sometimes

imraan007 wrote:

its thecrowd you hang out with sumtimes make u feel bored, cuz they all the same pple all the time

trusting people is mostly inportant... otherwise you can find many friends

Gabicape wrote:
imraan007 wrote:

its thecrowd you hang out with sumtimes make u feel bored, cuz they all the same pple all the time

trusting people is mostly inportant... otherwise you can find many friends

true

Hi bro,

How's it goin.......looking to come to Cape town to study.......looking for a friend and I thought I should contact you first.............Ow and I'm Tanzanian, (Asian background).

Kind regards,

Naeem

ryan411 wrote:

Paumo is right. It all depends on what kind of friends you want to make and what activities you enjoy :)  I am Cape Townian by birth, so I have a core group of friends that I hang with but also end up meeting new people through other avenues.

Let me know if you want a guide :)

Hi bro,

How's it goin.......looking to come to Cape town to study.......looking for a friend and I thought I should contact you first.............Ow and I'm Tanzanian, (Asian background).

Kind regards,

Naeem

rinaeem wrote:

Hi bro,

Kind regards,

Naeem

Please note that this is an old thread. Could you also not repeat the same post. Thanks.

Hello everyone,

I am from Mauritius,  I will be in Cape Town for 2-3 months for work soon.

I will be liviing in Hout Bay. Anyone up for coffee, drinks etc  please let me know!

Trying to know some people before arriving :)

Thanks.

I have got  3 weeks now i am working at Solnet as plumber  driver i am looking  for friends  stay at Khayelitsha  makhaza

Rumours has it that people in Cape Town are cliquey, the truth is it all depends on your personality and what lengths you are prepared to go to. I find that South Africans in general are very friendly however they tend to gravitate towards what they know best: old friends from school or university or work. It's up to you to go to people, initiate conversations, initiate outings and be graceful if you are 'rejected'. Joining groups is the easiest way to meet people with similar interests as you, it can be from movies to hiking. Through the people you meet, once you get invited to braais or other socials, you'll meet more people and so it continues. Make sure you chat to everyone equally and show genuine interest - you don't want to come across as desperate but also don't want to come too aloof. Groups to join are: InterNations, MeetUp and Facebook also has a bunch of groups available (Cape Town group, Hiking group, etc). Great thing to do as well is to go out - attend parties, go to festivals, find out what's going on in Cape Town (art fairs, music gigs around town, comedy shows, trail running etc) and get out there!!! Good luck!

Hi all :)
I moved to Cape Town 8 months ago and am finding it hard to make new friends despite being outgoing and fun! I have found people quite cliquey.

Anyone here keen to meet up for coffee or a gentle run/walk/hike?

hi how are u there in Cpt, i am a south african but at the moment i live in germany  but in december i am coming back to SA cape town because of the so if u are interested we can just meet first for a coffee and i like jogging and sometimes i use to go to table mountain and i will be living at the city center of Cape town

We can be friends Bro.

Can we be friends and meet.

Hi,
I'm returning to CT, i was born there and looking for a flat, room to rent. I'm a Canadian citizen as well. Still here and its getting cold lol. Where abouts are you and do you have idea where is good rental area. I have a job lined up in Melkbosstrand. You could also email me if you like, i hope this doesnt sound weird or like a stocker or something cause im not. Just looking for some help, if you can. I do have family there in Strandfontein.

Kind regards
Cyril