Is 1300USD enough to live in Accra for a disabled person?

I am disable and would like to know if i could afford to live Accra, Ghana on my disablity check. I only earn 1300 dollars
a month. Could I live their on this income?

Hello Frank DeCesare and welcome on board :)

kindly note that a new thread has been created from your post on the Accra Forum to help you get better response.

Regards

Kenjee

Would you have accommodation as that would be your biggest cost? Without accommodation it would be possible but it would be difficult without it

It will be ok for your feeding.but too small for accommodation.wish you luck.

Dear Frank,

The answer is YES and NO.
The last time l checked USD to GHc exchange rate was over 1:3 therefore USD1,300 should get you a little over GHc3,900.

1) 2 star hotel (bed & breakfast) - between GHc40 and GHc100 per night. A five star hotel could cost in excess of GHc500 per night. If you intend to live for much longer then you may want to rent a small flat, most landlord would demand a few months/years advance rent payment but would work out cheaper than a B&B.

2) Food - lunch or dinner from top hotels could cost between GHc50 and GHc80. However, some good but inexpensive restaurants like Papaye would cost less than GHc15. However be very careful of local food sellers by the roadside, not hygienic and definitely to be avoided. It would be a lot cheaper to cook if you have access to a kitchen

3) Travel - there are no meters in taxi's and most drivers tend to inflate prices if your look or sound foreign. You would need a trusted local resident to guide you. Minibuses called "trotro" are cheaper but most of the cars are not road worthy and might be infested with pick pockets and petty thieves.

In summary, if you have a trusted local guide then YES, you should get by on your budget. However, if you are a stranger to Ghana with no local links then l doubts it.

I like the above advice but I think the original poster wants to live here and not just come for a holiday. As I pointed out his biggest expense would be accommodation. He might get a shared place in an expat area for $500 per month inclusive of bills and of course if he wanted more basic accommodation he could rent something without ameneties for much, much less. Most Ghanaians would live comfortably on that amount even with their accommodation costs but it would mean him living and eating like a local

Yes. its highly possible

Why live in Ghana, if you are disabled?
its will be very difficult, almost no  publics places here who are redy to physical disabilities.
Houses here are very expensive, over $ 1,000 a month if you want to live in normal place.
Electricity and gas and food are expensive ... more then few hundred dolar a month
Not at all a big deal to live here :(
It all depends on where you come from, and what standard of living you are used to

I agree with what hkann said. If you would be willing to live like a middle income ghanaian, almost 4000 cedis per month would definitely be sufficient, but if depends on the life style you are looking for.

[Moderated: no copy paste pls]

Will u be paying rent? Food is not cheap. u will struggle I think.