Considering buying a place in Birzebugga

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are considering buying a place in Birzebugga, right on Pretty Bay.  We have been living in Malta for about 2 years now and its great.  We initially lived in St. Julians, but moved after a year because of how noisy and to be honest how bad the tourist and language student behavior was.  We moved to Naxxar and its been great.  We like going out etc, but its great to be somewhere a bit more maltese and quieter.

We found a place in B'bbuga and it right on the bay.  The things I wonder about is the noise at night from both the tourists (if there are many), and from the freeport.  Also the commute from B'bugga to St. Julians.

Any other advice nonliving there would be welcome.

Paul

I think more importantly, before deciding on where, is finding out about the inheritance laws and if this will effect you. Buying a house, or trying to sell it (or one of you dying,) is more complicated than you may realise.

Thanks.  The apt is a new construction rather than an older house.  It is wholly owned by the present owner, and we have already looked into the existence of any other liens.  The process of buying involving the Konvneju will also stipulate that the final deed is executed in its entirety over to us, and given that the bank will be involved too, we are pretty certain of our position.  We have been looking for a year and half now.

The question for us is very much about the area as I don't really know much about B'bbuga.  So I am looking for anyone who actually lives there to get a view as to things like noise etc.

Thanks for the suggestion though

Paul

The advice of most people here is do not buy. Unless you have enough money to have it tied up for years with a very difficult prospect of ever selling the property.
If you want Maltese/Gozitan and quiet then come to Gozo.

Hi Paul

I would tend to agree with Redmik here. To buy in an area, untested/unknown, could be the start of a personal nightmare. Personally, I like Birzie, however, it's not everyone's cup of tea. Buying is a real big step and, if I were in your position, I would rent there for six months and if it then works out and you still want to buy then go ahead. However, if the neighbours are a nightmare, the commute is too much, the noise too great (you get my drift) then nothing's lost and you can relocate. Buying is such a big step these days - I was talking to my sister-in-law yesterday, she has two flats in Mellieha, she is trying to sell one (has been for a coupe of years) and she tells me that even the Maltese have cottoned on to the fact that renting is the way ahead rather than outright purchase.

Good luck chap

Mike

Hello,
I would rent for a few months then buy. We bought in haste and moved within a year.
I wouldn't be too put off buying though, we sold our apartment last year within a week! We Just made sure it was well presented and modern even though it was a very old building.
Let us know how you get on xx

Hi Paul.

Pretty Bay might not be so pretty and attractive next year when they put the huge LPG tanker in the bay to fuel the new to be built extension to the Delimara power station.

Cheers
Ricky

Get a nice view of Freeport too.
http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/25/50/f1/the-beach.jpg

Thanks for all the responses.  The view actually doesn't bother me at all.  I spent many years in new york and san francisco where the skyline is industrial.  At night the freeport looks really beautiful all lit up.  Im buying as a place to live and the commute is reasonable.  I have been  in and out of B'bbuga of late and the thing that really strikes me is that its actually a very maltese place, unlike many other places in Malta these days that could be anywhere in the med, with more foreign languages spoken around you than maltese.  One of the reasons we moved here was to live in malta rather than a generic mediterranean island, so the south tends to tick that box a lot more for us.  Also, I tend to look at the long haul of a place.  I've lived in some pretty sketchy places in the US, and if they are on the way up.. they change over time so if you base your preference on what it might be like for a year or 6 months, then I think you might get very disappointed in various places.

Thanks for all your replies.

Paul

Paul,

I have PM'd you back.

totally agree with you regarding changes of a Place, I have been coming to Birze since 1980 as a child and it has changed a lot, the one thing that hass never changed are the people, always freindly and always willing to help, one minute you are chatting to someone and the next your sitting in their house having a meal with the whole family.. uncles, aunts and grandparents.

Julian

Paul, I got an idea for you.
You may rent the place that you intend to buy, for like 6 months, with the option to buy it at the end of the rental contract.
By the time it expires, you will know how the commuting works.

Cheers

Howzit Paul?

I moved to Birzebbuga from South Africa two years ago and I just love it.
There are very few overseas tourists and they are usually people who have been coming here for years. The Freeport is not really noisy at all - the occasional ship's horn going off when engaging reverse or the odd clank of a container but that is it. I actually like the place. At night it is all lit up and during the day there is the activity of Pilot boats going to and fro to the container ships. It is something to look at when on the beach! If you want to stare at a large expanse of sea then just tilt your head a few degrees left! It is on the flight path to the airport but one soon gets used to the planes flying over and after a while one doesn't really notice it.
The best selling point though, as Scuba Boy has pointed out, is the friendly welcome from the locals. This really is a very Maltese town and everyone talks to each other. I have not encountered a "them and us" attitude.
Out of season it is very quiet, which I like. I have a small fishing boat and there are lots of coves and bays to explore. There is not a lot of night life but there are some nice bars and restaurants. The best fillet steak I have ever eaten was here in Birze!
The bus journey to Valletta takes between 30-40 minutes and is just so easy.
We have good doctors and dentists, hairdressers and barbers and even a cobbler!
I think you will find that eating and drinking out is cheaper here than in the big towns.
I tend to agree with the others about housing. Rent first to see if you really like the place and, if you do, buy something you really want.You may decide that the beachfront is not the ideal place to live and look for somewhere a little further back.
Feel free to give me a call on 79242105 if you would like to chat or for me to show you around.
I am retired so always have time on my hands - great!
Titters