Retiring to Issan

Hello,
I am currently living in the U.S. but building a house in Sisaket, and moving there in a few months with my Thai wife.  I cannot speak the language, and I know that will make things more difficult.  Is there anyone living near there who has gone through it, and has any advice?
I will try to find a teacher to teach me the language asap, but I am in a village 40K s/w of Sisaket.  I am retired and will be living off of my U.S. social security, so money should not be a problem.  My concerns are that I do not speak the language, and do not know anyone who I can converse with (other than my wife, of course), so if any of you expats living in Issan have any advice, I'd love to hear it.
Thanks

I'm a mix Thai/ Norwegian
my dad's Thai is terrible
we used to live in Ubon ( next to Sisket)
he had no problem tho
ppl can understand you
just use simple words and sentences lol
i don't really speak thai but still i'm a fluent

don't worry
you actually don't need to learn thai if your wife know some English
but if you want it to be really easy then its also a good idea to learn it

Hi

I have lived here since 2008. I do not speak fluent Thai. It is not a major problem although at times it can be a little frustrating. I have however been teaching myself to read the language which certainly helps. There are lots of free resources for language learning on the Internet along with some really god apps for smart phones.

I too live a rural lifestyle, but not in Issan. I personally think that keeping yourself busy is more important than the language. I have plenty of hobbies that I can do alone if I choose, photography, bird watching, writing blogs spring to mind plus I have a cycle too.

The one thing I miss on occasions is stimulating conversation, my Thai is not up to that and I have yet to find anyone who can manage it in English.

Go to Ubon man
They have a great bar and diner with all the customers are foreigners
Its called Wrong Way restaurant and bar
My dad used to hang out there a lot
A lot of friends and fun
Pm me if you wanna know more
Actually I know some foreigners in Sisaket too
I'll ask my dad if you want

Learn the Thai number, they are so easy to learn.
Learn to ask for price for a item.
Learn to say hello to people.
And you on a good start. Thai are very good to speak to Fa-Rang even so many only speak Thai, and Fa-Rang only English.

When you get there, walk around, bicycle around, motor bike, what every you enjoy.
Stop at small shop where you see Thai sit and talking, drink, water, coffee or beer.
And try to talk and be friendly, polite, Many times if Thai like a Fa-Rang and the way he behave, They open up more and more, Might even get a Thai friend that speak some English.
This i find to be a good way to get into Community, learn about Thai and the language.

I don´t know Sisaket, but can see from google it have Sisaket university.
So i am pretty sure, they be a lot around that like to learn to speak more English, As Many Thai only learn writing, reading English, and many need to practice more speaking English.
You can help them speaking English and in Return they learn you speak Thai.
I find this approach very good for me in my beginning here in Thailand 3.5 years ago.
All so the Thai from university open up for learn more people, a long the way, again if they like and start trusting you, invite you (And wife) to come for trips around, the want to show you how they do things, and so on.

Sure one have to be a open person and not shy around others, and be ready to make mistake, be ready for Thai to laugh WITH you, Not at you.

Well that my 2 cent, from my live here, hope you might get some idea.
It is okay, if you not that kind of person, Not everyone is.

I wish you good time here it this great country.

Kindly.

I'm not at all good with Thai language. The good luck has been making Thai friends that also speak English. Truly enjoy their company.

PS: You'll love it in Sisaket.

orraphan123 wrote:

anyone has any advice?

Yes, divorce  :D

Take a language course in Bangkok.

Hi
I am living in Surin, been here for one month and have already meet a couple of farangs who am able to have a coffee with and chat about the local area. The Thai language is not easy to learn (for me anyway) due to the different tones saying that I have picked up a few words and can order food and travel around. I would suggest learning the basics like  words for directions and travel, left, right, stop, go, how much. Also learn numbers and apply them to the money will help a lot. The other thing I suggest is to relax, take your time, explore the area, it all takes time to get to know the lay of the land, a big smile goes a long way. Good luck on your new adventure :)

Having a relationship with a thai women when you and she cannot communicate is an act of foolishness . by the time you learn to communicate after several year, quite often you find out you dont even suit each other ,.. find one that can speak some english and have her educated in English . thai is ridiculous to learn for a novice , unless you have 5 years of full time study !

Contact Alan the builder in Surin re your house. He's on the internet under that name. Remember you need to have 400,000 baht in your Thai bank account initially for your Visa and again when you extend your time. It's best to have at least that amount at all times. Re speaking Thai. Buy a Thai Dictionary and phrase book to help with basic communication. Where you are going they also speak Sui and a Khmer Dialect and also mix the words. They all speak Thai though. Good luck!

Thank you all for your helpful information (with the "possible" reply from Gaudente).  I'm looking forward to my arrival there and starting a new life.

There are some useful Thai language courses on YouTube.

Chok Di. You'll love it. For me the only Thailand is Isan.

here is a good start to learning Thai
learnthaiwithmod.com/

I have the same advise as one of the others.Fnd A good Thai school.It's better if your not the only student in your class.Believe it's easier to learn with A few others.
Good luck in Ubon.I like Udon myself.Been going back and forth since 1971.

Isan -great move. Bon Voyage

Moderated by Bhavna 7 years ago
Reason : Digging up old thread
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

There are plenty of expats there. You will get along fine. Go to the mall @ SiSaket. Enjoy the outdoor restaurants and world class cuisine  at great rates. La Dolce Vita. Your'e in heaven. enjoy

hey buddy...u resonate with my personal preferences in Thailand...it's going to be my retirement haven for the next 10 years minimum...we can catch up for coffee & nice conversation as I'm hoping the expat community is one whole exciting place to be

You'll love it. Just be yourself and enjoy.

Good-aye Simonko,   I read your 2017 post on meeting /chatting.   I'm currently building in Khaosuwankwang, an hour out of Khon Kaen.   Back in Queensland till July-August when the wet finishes, and can get on with the ground work.   Reply if your interested.  I have spent most of my life in machinery hire and cranes, along with smash repairs (cars & trucks), and general welding fabrication.
Always ready to listen to other peoples life style and ideas.      Regards   ian Miners   
Post name-- dotarnie