Ferry Service- Ho Chi Minh City to Vung Tau City

Could anyone advise me if the Ferry Service- Ho Chi Minh City to Vung Tau City.is up and running again since its suspension ?.

Regards
Bruce

No - they have big safety and maintenance problems. Many of the boats, some modified Russian torpedo boats, owned by foreign entities have been moved to other countries.

VietNam is very sensitive to mass drownings ever since it lost a fishing boat full of children a few years ago.

Ever since one caught fire, and saved it's passengers by beaching itself on the shores of the MeKong Delta, the authorities have woken up to the fact these poorly maintained vessels are floating death traps. Example: Most of the life jackets on several of the 'flying fish' were stashed under the staircases by which passengers enter.

I can see 5 of the hydrofoil ferryboats from the sun roof on my office building - all bobbing up and down on the water. And going nowhere.

The4 new VN standards can be seen in the modern ferryboat operating between HA TIEN and PHU QUOC.

As mentioned before, ferry line is still don't work.
I can recommend you a decent bus company, starting from Q1 (2h to VT), or use a bike/car - road is quite good and very beautiful, i check it many times for the last 3 months.

I would be very interested to hear about the bus service thank you

205 Pham Ngu Lao.
It's a small private bus station, they speak English.
Tickets to VT about 100k (don't remember exact price).

Now the new road to Vung Tau is open, there are many bus services there.

Check out MAI LINH EXPRESS - safe drivers, good buses and frequent service. Use Google to locate - too many offices to list.

I just saw this:

http://tuoitrenews.vn/society/20922/the … next-month

That's interesting.  I can't tell if the ships are hydrofoils.  Do you know?

That's interesting.  I can't tell if the ships are hydrofoils.  Do you know?

The hydrofoils get their name from the fact they 'ski' on the water when up to speed. As you most likely realise, most ships and boats remain in the water.

They are similar to the Flying Fish in Greece - many are ex-Russian torpedo boats. They used to leave from the dock near the bottom of Ham Nghi Street.

Jaitch wrote:

The hydrofoils get their name from the fact they 'ski' on the water when up to speed. As you most likely realise, most ships and boats remain in the water.

They are similar to the Flying Fish in Greece - many are ex-Russian torpedo boats. They used to leave from the dock near the bottom of Ham Nghi Street.

Thanks for the lesson;  I'm familiar with hydrofoils.  My question is are these new boats them (like the previously-banned boats) or not.  The article says "They are designed to have a dual body to save fuel and avoid creating big waves" which isn't particularly clear.

I am only guessing here, but they may have twin hulls(catamaran),in my country (Australia)most of the fast ferries have twin hulls, very little wash in rivers and handle rough water well

DanFromSF wrote:

My question is are these new boats them (like the previously-banned boats) or not.  The article says "They are designed to have a dual body to save fuel and avoid creating big waves" which isn't particularly clear.

The new generation of ships are not hydrofoils, judging from the testsI saw downstream on the River SaiGon. A friend who operates a rent-a-boat near Ha Tien and in to the Phu Quoc area said he had a look at one they were doing genuine sea trials with. (The waters around Phu Quoc Island can be really rough at times.) He said they did all manner of tests including stopped in rough water, rescue in rough water.

The old boats are/were death traps - the life-jackets were stored under the stairs in a small locker.The electronics were quite good and some even had radar. I don't see radar on the ship pictured in Tuoi Tre News.

Maybe the fishermen will be happier, too. The hydrofoils used to play havoc with their nets as they never gave them time to pull them out.

Looks like they are using proper Plimsoll Lines, not the 10-15 centimetres most small VN passenger boats use!

how long does it take by bus to vung tau...where do they drop you off

A smidgen over 2 hrs if you take the Futa Bus Co from PNL

32 seat buses no toilets on board.
110,000dong and they leave on the hour

Phuong Trang office
274 Pham Ngu Lao St,
bus every hour,
2 offices at the corner of PNL and De Tham street.

A bit of advice - if you are over 5'6" try not to get booked into seats 28& 29 or 31&32..(this is the back row) or you will spend the entire trip with your knees jammed into the back of the seat in front. 24 & 25, 26 & 27 are only marginally better (wheel arch)... get a seat # in the teens if possible

The Phuong Trang (Futa Buslines) service from Vung Tau to HCMC was excellent and very comfortable. (Monday 28.04.14) It was exactly two hours and the road was mostly in great condition with the new roadworks mostly complete. 110,000VND and a bottle of water provided. Pick up from hotel was on time. Air conditioned waiting room at bus terminal at Vung Tau. Bus terminated outside their office in De Tham HCMC. Highly recommended travel between Vung Tau HCMC.

I take the road on bycicle via CAT LAI and short ferry. Less traffic and feel me safe. Esay to find the way mostly straight. After tunnel under the river you leave the AH 1 HCMC-Ha Noi at right and drive by the Dong Van Cong / Nguyen Thi Thinh direct to the port. Ferry go nonstop for 5000 VND

DirtyPierre wrote:

32 seat buses no toilets on board.
110,000dong and they leave on the hour

Phuong Trang office
274 Pham Ngu Lao St,
bus every hour,
2 offices at the corner of PNL and De Tham street.

A bit of advice - if you are over 5'6" try not to get booked into seats 28& 29 or 31&32..(this is the back row) or you will spend the entire trip with your knees jammed into the back of the seat in front. 24 & 25, 26 & 27 are only marginally better (wheel arch)... get a seat # in the teens if possible

YES I CAN CONFIRM

FUTA (orange Bus)
PHUONG TRANG
317-319 Pham Ngu Lao, Q1

are the best and safest bus. I avoid the small bus with the crazy racing driver ... less safe and less space to sit.
From airport I see also Vietjetair has direct buses between airport and VT.
-------------

The Phuong Trang (Futa Buslines) service from Vung Tau to HCMC was excellent and very comfortable. (Monday 28.04.14) It was exactly two hours and the road was mostly in great condition with the new roadworks mostly complete. 110,000VND and a bottle of water provided. Pick up from hotel was on time. Air conditioned waiting room at bus terminal at Vung Tau. Bus terminated outside their office in De Tham HCMC. Highly recommended travel between Vung Tau HCMC.

vin4564 wrote:

They drop you off at the bus station as they have an office there on Xo Viet Nghe Tinh street.

colinoscapee wrote:
vin4564 wrote:

They drop you off at the bus station as they have an office there on Xo Viet Nghe Tinh street.

My friend toke it the bus 2 days ago at 317-319 Pham Ngu Lao, Q1 .... only the other sleeper bus start usualy at Nguyen Thai Hoc (around the corner of  Pham Ngu Lao, Q1 !!! - Next friend come tomorrow morning and I will ask again, if realy change for FUTA Bus I will let you know or call (08) 39 204 737 - 38 376 814

SORRY vin4564

with They drop you off at the bus station as they have an office there on Xo Viet Nghe Tinh street. YOU MEAN when you come from Vung Tau. You can order the driver wherever you want go out but last station is at "317-319 Pham Ngu Lao, Q1 " where he pick up next transport.

great info...thank you

@SwissViet :
Sleeper buses can be uncomfortable for tall Foreigners and traps for heavy/overweight people.

This can be dangerous in an emergency.

Jaitch wrote:

@SwissViet :
Sleeper buses can be uncomfortable for tall Foreigners and traps for heavy/overweight people.

This can be dangerous in an emergency.

RIGHT THAT'S ME with 120 kg. In case of accident even we have a berth in row 01A - C we can't go out fast because all Vietnamese from behing will hurry to the front and block you can peal you out. YOU WILL BE LAST if not burned (have seen an accident close Na Trang)

In this point I claim few times to FUTA because sudden they change all bus from seater to sleeper between HCMC - DA LAT ... but I go only a smile, they do so because all Vietnamese like sleep.

Anyway the road to DA LAT is more and more a horror too so I fly or if I want safe money by night train to Nha Trang and after on the NEW road to DA LAT  ;)

There are seater bus services - but you have to search.

Using a sleeper bus on a short run like Can Tho or Vung Tau is nuts.

Quite honestly, when I have used an Open Tour bus I prefer to be wide awake and seated by the engine - for safety.

The HCM >< Da Lat road is a well known killer, one of the biggest death tolls were a group of Russians who were killed when the bus went over a roadside cliff. Some of the cambers of the road are wring, too.

There must be a business case for a Da Lat >< HCM rail service for both PAX and freight. The problem is the 'hill' to the east of Da Lat towards Thap Cham and the high traffic on the NS main line.

The Da Lat >< Buon Ma Thuot road has different hazards - it is famous for elephant nests in the road which are big enough to stop a bus.