Moving to Belize

I will be moving all of our stuff to Corozal from California in October and wonder if anyone knows of a company that they have used in the past? Got one quote and it was very high. Thank you.

Are you looking for an actual moving company? -or- are you will to use a freight forwarder?  There are three freight forwarders that come directly into Corozal...if you are capable of packing it up safely and can get it to one of these...your rates will be apprx.$1.50/lb to include transport, duty and taxes.  If you would like to have the name of these I'll be happy to provide it.

Best,
Karen

Hi again Karen!  I'd be grateful if you could provide the name of the freight forwarders!  That would help my organization process immensely!    Thanks!

Karen, It is Steve again and do not know the difference between a moving company or a freight forwarder. I did find a Hyde shipping out of Florida but they just get it to Belize city and that is it. They said I then need to get an agent who can get it through customs and then move it to my place. I would like to find someone who can do it all. If you have the names of someone I would again appreciate it. My visit in May looks grim right now as I took on a project that will be finished by June 3 and will then come to finalize things up.

Stephen

Are  you  in Santa Barbara Ca?
Are you moving to South Belize ? (Near Big Creek) If so please let me know . I can make recommendations.
Sending you items across the country to AL ( Where I ship from) may not be practical to you.

Privet Spiceman,
Yes, I am in Santa Barbara and will be moving to Corozal some time in October. I did get a quote from Hyde shipping and they will send it by rail to Miami and then to Belize city. Then I have to get a broker for customs and such and then up to Corozal. What a lot of work!!! Any suggestions that you have would be welcome.

Steve

Steve66:

Belize law states that you must have a Belize licensed Customs Broker to bring things into Belize. I have shipped a few containers of items to Belize. Not that hard to accomplish once you get your head around what you need to do. What I did was have our freight forwarder in Canada communicate all the shipping information to our shipping receiver in Belize that has a Broker. Therefore things arrived in Belize port the shipper and Broker worked together to get it through customs and then to the Belize freight forwarder's warehouse. They worked well together.

The Freight Forwarder in Belize we have used is Sterling Freight in Cayo (Central Farms).

Jody

My wife was born in and is a Belize national. She has been in the states with me about 5 years and we want to move to Belize. We have land in a place called Flowers Bank on the Belize River (where she grew up) and want to start building there very soon. What I wanted to do was drive down there in my 2000 Silverado and enter the country as visitors and work on building the house. Will need the truck to build. We believe this is OK as long as we travel to Chetamel every 90 days and leave the county and come back in. Once the house is built we will determine the best way to enter, under the Diaspora Program or the Qualified Retirement Program, or maybe just as the husband of a Belizean, and then transfer all our household goods and pay car import and what not. Can anyone tell me your experience driving to Belize, what to expect, and your impressions of our plan? Any information you could share would be deeply appreciated as we our getting so much conflicting information off the internet and the Belize Government isnt much better? Thank you in advanced.

I just spoke with a shipper out of Los Angelas and they said that you can longer bring your personal items through Mexico any more. It is a new law that just went into effect last week.. Hope that helps.

Do you mean you can "No" longer bring your belongings threw Mexico?

Did you get any specifics on this law? Is this a US law or a Mexican law? I would like to know exactly what this law is addressing. I am driving my family in a truck to Belize through Mexico. We will be there just under the 90 day limit. We have rented a fully furnished house while we are staying and I will be overseeing the building of our home during the time. Although we are not moving there at this time, we were planning on taking a fair amount of personal stuff to get us comfortably through the 3 months. No furniture or anything like that. However, some appliances, dishes, pillows, blankets, towels, bathroom stuff, kitchen stuff, plenty of clothing, and whatever else we think will be useful over that period of time. I figure it will fill the bed of the truck easily. Now anyone should be able to look at it and know it is not a full fledged move. However, it's not a two week vacation either. So how will this law apply here? Also, while we are there my wife will be applying for the Diaspora program allowing Belizian citizens who have be out of the country for 10 years to come back with their personal belongings duty free. How will this affect them? If you could come up with a link explaining the law, many of us I'm sure would be appreciative.

Sorry for not getting back to you but found your post or reply just now. The person who told me this is Brinston who has  Reynolds Shipping and his number is 323-419-1778. I am going to use him for my container and they deliver to my door step. He said it is a new Mexican law so I suggest you call him to be sure.
Steve

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Harasho comrade

I will arrive in San Pedro Oct 2..Can anyone please recommend an inexpensive hotel to stay while I look for an apt?Don't need anything fancy .Somewhere in town .thanks.
Mike
NYC

I was there in June and stayed at the Exotic Caye Beach Resort. I found it on Groupon and cost me $365 for 4 nights. If you stay longer it is a lot cheaper. The rooms also have a small kitchen. Also great restaurant there and it is called the Melt. If you eat there say hello to Mark the owner. Good luck as you will love it.

Thanks stevo66.i'll check it out. I won't be on vacation. Looking for something a little less expensive. Do you know any other hotels? Thanks again

I met a guy named Vince at the airport and think he can help you out. He has a 6 plex and rents them out. They call him crocodile man and his number is 011-501-631-6366. Hope that helps.

Thanks. Sounds good. If he can send pm to [email protected] .it'll be worth it.sorry my phone can't call Intl.now. thanks again

I know the feeling, my cell phone does not work for international calls either. You can email him at
[email protected]
hope this works.

Grazie Mille. Thanks a lot. Paisan!

harosho comrade

mps1973 wrote:

My wife was born in and is a Belize national. She has been in the states with me about 5 years and we want to move to Belize. We have land in a place called Flowers Bank on the Belize River (where she grew up) and want to start building there very soon. What I wanted to do was drive down there in my 2000 Silverado and enter the country as visitors and work on building the house. Will need the truck to build. We believe this is OK as long as we travel to Chetamel every 90 days and leave the county and come back in. Once the house is built we will determine the best way to enter, under the Diaspora Program or the Qualified Retirement Program, or maybe just as the husband of a Belizean, and then transfer all our household goods and pay car import and what not. Can anyone tell me your experience driving to Belize, what to expect, and your impressions of our plan? Any information you could share would be deeply appreciated as we our getting so much conflicting information off the internet and the Belize Government isnt much better? Thank you in advanced.

There are several people who have done it and post on the Belize Forums.    http://www.belizeforum.com/belize/
Sign in and ask JohnP.  He has done it several times and will gladly assist you with almost all the information needed for this.

I am talking about the trip driving down through Mexico, all that is involved at all 3 borders as well as the best route to take and stop areas to get to Belize.

Wishing you all the best

stevo66 wrote:

Privet Spiceman,
Yes, I am in Santa Barbara and will be moving to Corozal some time in October. I did get a quote from Hyde shipping and they will send it by rail to Miami and then to Belize city. Then I have to get a broker for customs and such and then up to Corozal. What a lot of work!!! Any suggestions that you have would be welcome.

Steve

Steve,  it has always depended on where we are shipping from to have items sent/imported to Belize.  In the western half of the US we always use Joseph Freight.  They take care of it all once you get it to them and on several occasions have picked up our shipment from original site in the US and handled the rest (shipping, customs, duties and delivered  right to our door step here in Belize.

Affordable and we have always been very happy with their service.
https://www.google.com.bz/?gws_rd=cr&am … ph+Freight

From the Eastern half of the US we use Hyde shipping into the port here and have a great Customs Broker we have used for years.

I hope I was able to assist.  Please check them out

April05
Looks like you got the shipping figured out. Just in case thing did not work out  You may check out MCW shipping
in Camden AL
Ph# 334 682 9951
They go to Big Creek

Spiceman, we would much rather deal with the port at Big Creek, but we use the same Customs Broker.  We have sent many things in through Big Creek, but have sometimes found out the waiting times are a little longer.  But a nice bunch of people down there.  The only other item I can think about is sometimes we have to worry and pay extra to get items shipped in from Big Creek to Cayo.