Coming to Ecuador - anyone working at a School in Ecuador?

I've just come back to the U.S. from Afghanistan, Iraq and Saudi Arabia where I worked with the DoD as a Sr. military training instructor in ESL/EFL.  Just wondering if anyone here is currently teaching or working at a school in Ecuador?

Thanks much,
Terry S.

Didn't know everyone can see my messages

Hello lterrys  :cheers:

Kindly note that your thread is now on the Ecuador Forum so as to help you get better response.

----------------------------

@Ariana101 : I would suggest you to create a new thread in the Afghanistan Forum section so as to have better response to your query.

Regards
Kenjee

Thank you for your suggestion, however, it's Ecuador I'm interested in knowing about and perhaps moving there.  I was just introducing myself and letting all of you know that I'm not new to living outside of the U.S.

Again, thanks for the suggestion......

I would love to work with Kids :)

Kids or Adults is for me as I started out as a elementary school teacher, the to high school and finally into university teaching.  I'm looking for a position in Ecuador in one of the schools there that will help me get my visa and a job.

Terry

no nobody..

.:/

Hi there,

It's my understanding that it's easier to get a job teaching in Ecuador if you have "boots" on the ground.  It's not hard to come in on a tourist visa, to look for a job.  If you have a BA/BS, you will qualify for a professional visa, after that is approved. (Which could take 6 month or so ... maybe longer)  I haven't heard of any company that supplies teachers helping an employee to get a permanent visa, not saying that it doesn't happen.   Teachers don't make much, expect wages anywhere from $4-7.00 an hour, even when teaching ESL.

Just what I've found doing research.

Does BA or BS have to be in education or Teaching ESL? What sites did you research?

suefrankdahl wrote:

Does BA or BS have to be in education or Teaching ESL? What sites did you research?

No Sue, It just has to be a university degree that is recognized by the Ecuadorian Office of Higher Education (Senescyt.)   Here's one link, but many others say the same (and this link will explain it much better than I can-at this time of the morning.)  ;)http://bit.ly/UHx2q5 

This was confirmed by many expats on the EE group on Facebook. I've been told it can't be a diploma mill (like the plethora of for-profit profit and other so called universities/tech schools, etc,)  Not all American University's are on the list (my BA/MA at Wichita State University is not) so it will take (at least) an additional month to confirm it.  But if it's part of the state university system, the chances of it being confirmed are excellent.

I have one state university degree and one private university degree. Will check out the link. Last time I looked into it you had to have your transcripts translated (In EC) to make sure they were equivalent to EC degree. Maybe if translated right away it's would be possible to get a teaching job while waiting for the prof visa to come thru If I remember correctly from another thread Amber got a teaching job shortly after she moved down there. What are your BA/MA in?

Don't do Faceback. Probably not too difficult How would I find EE group.page?

My BA is a Field Major ---18 hours of history, 9 hours criminal justice, 9 of gerontology. ( I really didn't want to settle on just one subject--I was having so much fun trying everything out!)  My MA is in Public History/Museum Studies, concentrated on American history.

I love FB, and have connected with some wonderful people over the years. It's really not difficult.  The Ecuador Expats group is huge (almost 6000 members and counting)  There are probably about 50-100 core members that post on a weekly basis. 

The EE group on FB is at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/EcuadorExpats/  It's a closed group though, so until you join, which means having a FB account, you probably can't see anything.

I was told to give them my BA not to do both (more to translate, more paperwork)  I think you can still get a job (and a work visa) without this to start with.  I just thought it would be easier to bring everything to start with, so no matter what I'd have everything set for a residence visa to start with.