SCHOOLS AND STUDIES

Here in Brazil,school life to me is not that interesting coz you will have to learn how to speak Portugues.

You need to speak Portuguese just to get by in day-to-day living. Did you think you could get by in any foreign country speaking only English??? Big, big mistake!

The language barrier is the single largest problem that causes expats to fail to adapt to living in any non-English speaking country.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

Learning the new language in the foreign country you move into is always a must and a plus in order to get by and accomplish your purpose; the process of adapting should also  be fun. Enjoy!

I can understand your problem. My kids faced the same challenge when they came here bit now in a years time they are fluent un portugese. You will find it easier as you make friends and interact . Good luck !

Hello soie5,

Haven't seen you posting on here for a while, how have things been going for you? I'm glad to see that your children are well on their way to fully adapting to life here in Brazil. How is that going for you, is it getting easier every day?

Cheers,

wjwoodward wrote:

The language barrier is the single largest problem that causes expats to fail to adapt to living in any non-English speaking country.

Is that true?  I would think it's the cultural differences.

Hi William,
Thanks. I am doing fine. The kids are well settled in. They are fluent in portugese which saves me from a bit of hassle at times. They are my translators. We have made a few friends too. And that helps.i love the Brazilian people . They are friendly and helpful and they love kids!!!
I love Expat.com and come here from time to time to see if I can help in any way or if I can learn anything new.
And I am never disappointed....:)
How are things with you ?

Things are just wonderful with me as always. My young Brazilian wife treats me like royalty, we have a beautiful son who just turned 7 years old who is my whole world wrapped up in one little body. I'm happier than I have ever been in my entire 65 years of living even though I am much worse off financially than when I arrived in this country. (Previous bad marriage to a Brazilian woman... it's wonderful when you finally find the right one!  :kiss: )

I know what you mean about the Brazilian people, they're the reason everyone loves Brazil - in surveys 90+% of foreigners respond "the Brazilian people", when asked what they most love about this country. They certainly are the reason that I could never think about leaving here.

Cheers,

Thats wonderful. So happy for you. Yes love does make the world go round , doesnt it ? :) Thats lovely that you have a son. So you can totally relate to the problems faced by people with kids. Can I ask you if you homeschool English to your son ? I am on the lookout for some nice site for my 7 year and 9 year old for English and other subjects so they stay update on an international standard. Can you suggest any ?