Air conditioning in July August is it a must?

Hey all... Can someone please advise if air conditioning is a necessity in July august? From what I know these 2 months are very hot and humid but trying to rent an apartment, 2 landlords so far suggested I only need a fan cos it is fresh by the sea.

I hope someone here can advise me in the right direction.

Thank you
Ritta

I am using fans only for the last 8 years and still alive.
As soon as I put aircon I get sick.i have condition in my flat but I am using fan mode on it.

That is great to know. Thanx a bunch for ur prompt reply. Appreciated.
Cheers

I've never used air con, just fans and have managed fine :)

I do not use (nor would) aircon. I believe it compromises acclimatisation and could cause infections etc.
Fans and showers are fine, well for me anyway.

we have it but rarely use it - occasionally during summers really hot day yes - but we get by fine with fans alone.... mozzie nets on windows and doors  - so you can keep them open and a thru draught also work well

it depends on the person, and on the type of apartment/house - is it top floor, is it south facing ?

Thanx all for your comments.. so 'no AC' is good to go then :)

The apt is on top floor, facing the sea...

Top floors can get hot!

Yes.. note taken thanx...

Ritta TT wrote:

Yes.. note taken thanx...

Although, my mum is 6th floor, she has noted that it gets warmer earlier on in the year (May) but then plateaus...she still only uses her fans.

:) noted again
Thanx

We live on the top floor, and never use the AC. We do have the fan running almost all night, in the summer (it costs hardly anything), and we've never had a problem. We keep all windows open in the early morning and in the evening when the sun goes down.

Is it important to look for air con when renting a place?

Hi
it all depend what they of building you will be staying in. How much sun it gets. Which side it face. And the level it is in.

mdegab wrote:

Hi
it all depend what they of building you will be staying in. How much sun it gets. Which side it face. And the level it is in.

Got to agree - the 2nd floor apartment that I'll be living in (from just 2 weeks today  :) ) I was in last week for only 10 minutes with all windows open and I was dripping hot without the A/c on.

However Mum in Law ground floor apartment (older build) only needed one fan going for the whole place and even I was comfortable  :)

Whatever:  It will definitely be needed in the Pooch Parlour. :(   RR

Roger Rabat wrote:

Whatever:  It will definitely be needed in the Pooch Parlour. :(   RR

Go that right RR - when we open the Pet Groom Room that will have A/C  :)

We have had two different houses in Gozo so far and have not needed anything other than open windows and fans.
I must admit though, this week, we turned the electric blanket off!!

Ray :joking:

most old buildings have thick walls which are a very good insulation. While modern buildings have thin wall which get hot and act as a radiator of heat. Same for the pot most floor will be having the roof directly exposed to the sun, so they collect all the heat. An other difference is the height of the ceiling old buildings will have higher ceilings again will help to keep the place cool.