Moving to Antwerp from the United States!

I recently visited Antwerp on Holidays and really loved it. I felt the city had a really relaxed and home vibe but also had all the perks of a bigger city (restaurants, fashion, art, music, bars, etc.) I am strongly considering moving there not only because I met an amazing person who lives there but also to explore beginning or furthering my career in fashion and business. Do you guys think it'll be a beneficial decision for me? I am 21 and born and raised in U.S, this would be my first time living abroad. Do you think Antwerp could have the right opportunities for me. Thanks for your feedback!

Hey Bcharria,

I am so glad that you fell in love with Antwerp. I am also an American and I have been living in Belgium for the last year. To say it's a beneficial question is kind of a loaded question. OF COURSE I think becoming an Expat is beneficial for everyone. The experience enriches your life in so many ways. But it's also difficult to say what kind of opportunities would be available to you  without much more detail.

Do you know what kind of visa you want to apply for? What languages do you speak? What kind of job are you looking for? What kind of degree do you have? This person you met, are you at the stage where you'd want to live together or are you just starting to get to know each other?

So you see, it can be kind of complicated. I can say that in general that finding a job in Belgium without a solid knowledge of Dutch or French can be very difficult and in Antwerp they usually want Dutch. But you might have some luck with the fashion industry if you can get into some English speaking companies like Lee or Wrangler. I am not familiar with how easy it is to work for those companies, I only have some British friends who work for them here in Antwerp. You can also look for work outside of Antwerp. Many people live in Antwerp and commute to Brussels or Mechelen or Turnhout.

Getting a visa to stay can be relatively smooth or tricky and it really is dependent on the visa you get and your particular situation. They all do have one thing in common though in that it will take time. For me, I sent my application in for my visa in July, I had an appointment in September, and then I did not get my F-Card until march. I know other people who have waited much longer than me to get their visa to stay.

But if you can get through all that practical stuff, life in Belgium can be a very fulfilling experience :)