EHIC/S1 cover - Child Birth

How can a person give birth? Dose a non-EU spouse need to obtain something special? If I could give birth I would as I'm covered but I'm male so I need to know what the system is? How can it be done correctly

Hi Adi,

'how can a person give birth?' - I don't think I need to answer that question, at least for a female person.

Will you be in Malta as you state that you are in Doncaster? In Malta you and your wife would have to be resident and,to become resident you have to show income or finances and health insurance coverage to qualify for 'free' treatment. If that is your question?

The Maltese state health system is based on entitlement through national insurance contributions or transfer of rights from another EU country to Malta and not residency like the UK. So your coverage entitlement in Malta through S1 will depend on your record of payments to the NHS in the last years.

Cheers
Ricky

S1 is no longer issued except to those over UK State Pension age.
I posted an article relating to that a while ago.
See this: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 89#1915670

Ok so I have payed £9546.23 National Insurance into the UK system from the ages of 16-27 when I had to leave to go to the EU so that my wife could come home with me and so we can have a family when we get home. I worked in Malta, but I had to leave to go and marry my wife, so this is what I did.

Anyway, were here now. Iv found that the UK as a treaty with Malta and she is depending upon me so I believe I need to locate the forms to use my contribution to the services abroad to pay for our first child's birth. I'm just really not in the know.

If it's not called a S1 then what is it that I need to find, fill in and apply for? Otherwise the baby will just have to stay inside for a lot longer than the usual 8 months.

Anyway, cheers for the reply, each bit of info get us a little closer to having a nice family!

Hi Adi,

from your post your situation is not quite clear ?

Are you in Malta?  Are you registered as resident in Malta if so? Are you working in Malta and paying SSI contributions?

Your line will probably be the Reciprocal Health Agreement between the UK and Malta if you hold a British passport. The fact that you paid 9546 GBP National insurance does not give you any future entitlement to free health care. The Reciprocal Agreement should cover the costs if you are resident in Malta and not covered otherwise. If you do not have  the e-residence document you can apply for provisional coverage. The Entitlement Unit is in St. Lukes hospital.

https://ehealth.gov.mt/HealthPortal/chi … ltauk.aspx

Cheers
Ricky

Assuming you are on Malta, why do you not do something really radical and go to:

The Entitlement Unit
Ground Floor
St Luke's Hospital
G'Mangia

and ASK them?

Make sure you take all your documents, passports etc.
Entitlement/Health cover is also a precursor to obtaining E-Residence so you had better find out soon.

Cheers mate for the advice. We were going to ask in Valetta the day after I posed the message but we didn't as it was closed in the afternoon and now were leaving the country tomorrow. Yes I have a residency card for Malta and a UK Passport. I did work here in Malta and I studied my CELTA here as I planned to live and work here until I could go home to the UK. I'm in no way after anything for free. I'm a hard worker. Your advice is really good. Thanks so much. I may have to follow it up if we can't get home.

FYI - if you reading this post and your worried because your in the same position, it's not bad. France quote £4000 that's £3200. The UK paper stated under £2500 and I assume Malta can't be much more. I can't believe it's so hard to access information online!!