Thinking of moving to Baguio

Can anyone fill me in on daily life in Baguio? I'm thinking of moving there this April. Mostly to remove ourselves from a undesirable family situation near us.
1. What is it like living there?
2. How are the people towards foreigners?
3. What is the crime rate as compared to Cebu.
4. What about earthquakes are they frequent?
5. What type of house should we be living in there?
6. What is the weather and temperature like?
7. How's the internet connection how fast?
8. And finally what is the cost of living is it higher or about the same? :cool: Charles Harman

Baguio City is a nice place to live among the cities in the Philippine. This is only  a personal opinion. The weather is cooler , crime rate is not as bad in Mindanao. Choose a decent subdivision or village for your stay. Filipino are warm to Foreigner, if you are rude to them they will do the same thing. Earthquake is not frequently happened.Internet connection, you can select from top provider. Cost of living is fair. The only thing I like in Baguio is the weather. around 5c to 10 during the month of Dec. to Feb..Goodluck on your move.

I had heard the opposite. Bagio is cooler but traffic is intolerable and with the inversion layer, pollution is worse.  Think Salt Lake City with Jeepneys and Buses.

Definitely visit and check it out first.

Thanks everyone we are planning a visit out there soon. It would be nice if there were someone who actually lives there.
Charles

Hi, CharlesHarman!
I studied in Baguio City from 1992-1997 and stayed there with my husband from 2005-2008. We're now based in Manila.
I probably am biased since I lived there and I personally just love the place. I had relatives who lived in the city as well as in Philex Mines and since a child when I used to visit, I have always loved the cool weather. Although there are a lot of negative things they say about Baguio (such as it is no longer as cold as it used to be 20 years ago, there are many Koreans and Korean establishments,it is polluted  I still believe it is one of the best options of a quiet and simple city life.

The only thing that made us go is for better opportunities as there are obviously a lot more options for work here in Manila.

It may not be as cold as it used to be because a good number of pine trees have been cut, but it still is the coolest place, I believe, in the Philippines sometimes reaching 6deg as compared to Manila with a temp of 18 (rare one) to 36deg.

life is simpler there, you dont have to dress up much. As long as you have the sweater or sweatshirt, you would look great. My bro-in-law uses long-sleeved polo still though since his work requires him to do so.

Vegetables and fruits are cheap and usually available. If you are not too sensitive with the wet market, then you may go there. There are a good number of groceries there in SM Mall and other not-as-big-as-Manila groceries but are accessbile and convenient. My parents in law, at this time, though, are considering another grocery/mall to avoid the crowd in town.

1. What is it like living there? I call it great! I love the cool weather!
2. How are the people towards foreigners? people are fine with foreigners. there is a good number of expats there as well because of the climate. There is Brent International School as an option for international schooling or St. Louis University to name a few (they have foreigner students esp in college).
3. What is the crime rate as compared to Cebu. I'm not very sure, but like in any other place in the world, just avoid the places where crime-makers would usually go to. In town, just be careful of personal belongings since there would be naturally a few pickpocketers but I don't think/recall any crime such as kidnapping, murder, mob, etc done in broad daylight in places where the general public go to. I'd say I still walk the streets of Baguio calmly and confidently while keeping an alert side of me, just in case. Better safe than sorry.
4. What about earthquakes are they frequent? earthquakes are not frequent. the last big one was in 1991? if there was any, there must be one or two in my 3 years stay as a married individual.
5. What type of house should we be living in there? You can buy a good house in an exclusive subdivision or compound (I have a contact broker there) or live in condos (this will be costlier, i think). would you consider an apartment? I'm guessing, no.?
6. What is the weather and temperature like? weather! there are rainy days which make the city/temp cooler. In the morning, it will be shining so bright usually, and afternoons may bring some rain but not everyday.
7. How's the internet connection how fast? good internet connection, (for me)! my in-laws have pldt and costs 1299 if not 999 per month. I would usually use it whenever we go home.
8. And finally what is the cost of living is it higher or about the same? It all depends on your diet and way of life. if you would go to restos every now and then, and your budget is not enough, that would be costly. but if you dont mind cooking your meals from home and perhaps just dine out once in a while, then your're fine. Havent been to Cebu, but Baguio cost of living will be lower than Manila, for sure.

To: princessbadge
Thanks for the good information I posted this on my website along with some additional info and photos. See it here: retiringphilippines.org/2011/12/07/move-cool-baguio

Charles
I understand ur situation with family problems, we have experienced it, thats why we are in Naga, the move was difficult,
but it was all worth it.
the biggest winners were the kids who are excelling at school and are involved with school activities and have classmate & friends visiting all the time.
for me the great thing about living in a smaller community (175,000 people)is the freedom of movement by scooter or car as the traffic is heavy but still negotiable.
I'm from a country town in Aust (10,000 people)
Overall the advantages are low pollution, less traffic, cheap local foods, all stores SM,Pruegold,Robertson LCC, Cheap private schools (we pay 20,000p per child per year) freedom to drive to beach or other tourist on sundays with kids.
I hope u r successful with ur move but Baguio would be too cold for me,
Pete

To blueoakey,

Thanks Pete for the comments on moving, Yes I think this move will be difficult for us also, as we have a house full of stuff a car and motorcycle or scooter as you say. I am very is it cold natured or warm natured anyway I like the cold. I am running an air conditioner here 24/7 it's a little Chinese model and it keeps this room at 73 to 76 degrees. Been running it more than two years and it still functions well. I only paid 5,000 pesos for it new. Is that Naga Cebu or Naga Camarines Sur?

If you want to talk give me a call number is Magicjack: *** or my sell is: ***

Hi Charles,
I have been reading about youre move to Baguio although its almost 2 years how was the move and how do you find baguio?

Regards

If you are still thinking about it, then maybe we should chat.  We are about to move.  It is now January, 2014, we are halfway moved to Baguio City.  We still commute back to Manila because of several business items we are working on, however, our major project is opening our diner-bed&breakfast by February 2014.  It is a new construction in a 647 sm property next to the new Saint Louis University - Maryheights Campus outside of the city center. 

It is quite here, relative to the city itself.  Our proximity to the university allows for very easy access through jeepneys and cabs all over the city.  In fact, you don't need a car here, there's a cab and jeepney always around.  No tricycles here like other areas means quieter roads and better traffic flow.

The city has a problem with potable water at the moment, but that, too, is being worked at.  With the major companies vying for the contract, it is bound to happen sooner than later.  Manny Pangilinan's group (MERALCO) and AYALA CORP are the proponents, this means world class systems in place - unfortunately not soon enough.  For now, we cope.  There is an efficient water delivery truck that comes around within hours of your call.  There are potable water providers in just about every corner.

The people are friendly and warm.  Someone asked me today "Why Baguio?".  My response, you can't keep it secret anymore, we know how much better it is here now.  With the TPLEX (Tarlac-Pangasinan-La Union Expressway) completely open by 2015 (project my the conglomerate San Miguel Corporation), my Danish neighbor moved boldly by buying six huge properties.  If a boom is about to happen, we are at the start of it. 

I have several research materials handy, if you'd like to peruse them for business or just for access to easier info.  You may reach me on Facebook.  Just say hello to Albert Sotelo on there.

@Albert Sotelo - Hi.. please note that this post is quite old.. feel free to start a new topic on the Philippines Forum for sharing information or for any other enquiry please :)

We are just starting to investigate a move to Baguio and have similar questions as you.  I'd like to communicate with others who have made the move.

Hi Albert, I read your post regarding Baguio.

Your information is very helpful as I (we) plan to develop a telemedicine and patient monitoring operation which initially includes Baguio City, Olongapoto City and now Subic Bay (with the signing of the new Defense Operation Agreement yesterday). We will support these communities, expats and U.S. veterans as well. 

Telemedicine allows us to provide instant access to medical resources remotely, reducing the need to travel and time.  With that said, I want you (and others) to understand that I personally want to serve the needs of the people there. I may have an adult son or daughter in the area and I do want to possibly confirm and locate him or her. In my heart, I am following what I feel is God's will and moving to the Philippines is key to that.

Any information that you feel that would be helpful to us I would dearly appreciate.
John

Hi Albert Sotelo, have you completed your move to Baguio? And, is your Bed & Breakfast open? Perhaps I will make arrangements to stay for several weeks in the near future, should you be ready.

John

CharlesHarman wrote:

Can anyone fill me in on daily life in Baguio? I'm thinking of moving there this April. Mostly to remove ourselves from a undesirable family situation near us.
1. What is it like living there?
2. How are the people towards foreigners?
3. What is the crime rate as compared to Cebu.
4. What about earthquakes are they frequent?
5. What type of house should we be living in there?
6. What is the weather and temperature like?
7. How's the internet connection how fast?
8. And finally what is the cost of living is it higher or about the same? :cool: Charles Harman

greetings expats
I am seriuosly considering moving to BAGUIO with my PHILLIPINE wife and 2 kids 4 and 6.Before moving we would like to find out answers to  some critical questions.
1.BANKING What banks are safe and what are the interest rates?For example on $100 000 CERTIFICATE OF DEPOSIT FOR one year what are the interest rates?
a.Are there phillipine taxes on interest?or other costs?
b.Are there any problems getting the money out of country and banks once you transfer money in from another country?
c.What other problems might exist with banks?
2.With regard to schools public for third and second grade how many kids are in each class?
3.PRIVATE SCHOOLS what are monthly or yearly fees costs?for second and third grade?
4.RENTING HOUSE  2 or 3 bedrooms with small garden outside center.What might be monthly costs?
5.How much are monthly costs for water usage?We need house  with garden for my garden hobbies.
6.What universities exist for my wife to start studies and do any have nursing degrees_
daniel goode   my email   [email protected]
a.Are there any problems getting water for house outside center?

JohnSteven wrote:

Hi Albert Sotelo, have you completed your move to Baguio? And, is your Bed & Breakfast open? Perhaps I will make arrangements to stay for several weeks in the near future, should you be ready.

John

Our Grand Opening is scheduled for mid-August. (Moderated: no free ad on the forum pls) Our diner is now open with a steady following from expats and locals as well.

There is another blogger wanting to know more details of Baguio City.  I shall be responding soon.  Opening a good American quality diner is tough enough.  Opening a good American quality diner in Baguio City, PH is tougher.

Hi.. I believe at this time you already moved to Baguio. I used to study in the city but leaved in La Trinidad which is just a few kilometers from Baguio.

Try to visit Baguio and have a look so you can have an idea where to leave. Who knows you might want to leave in the countryside which is more peaceful.

-For BANKING - I prefer using commercial banks like BDO, MetroBank, PNB. I think they give a good offer.
-With regard to schools public for third and second grade how many kids are in each class?- it depend on which school you go. Private school may have fewer.
-In PRIVATE SCHOOLS what are monthly or yearly fees costs?- AVERAGE of 10k to 15k per school year.
-RENTING HOUSE  2 or 3 bedrooms with small garden outside center.What might be monthly costs? It depends on which area. Their are lots of subdivisions and brokers in the city.
-How much are monthly costs for water usage?We need house  with garden for my garden hobbies. -- Depends on how you use water. I used to pay less that 1000 pesos. but if you leave outside baguio, the water is free because it came from spring.
-What universities exist for my wife to start studies and do any have nursing degrees-- one of the best school in the city is ST. LOUIS UNIVERSITY, their is also UNIVERSITY OF THE PHILIPPINES in baguio but not sure if they offer nursing. University of the Cordilleras, University of Baguio offers nursing too... but i prefer St. Louis University for your wife to study nursing...
-Are there any problems getting water for house outside center?-- their are lots of delivery truck roaming around the city. just give them a call and they come to you..

I would like to answer some of the questions regarding moving to Baguio since I was born there and lived there for so many years.

I just registered today and saw your inquiry regarding moving to Baguio.  I would like to respond to you the  couple from San Diego.  Since this is my first time in this Expat.com, will you tell me how I can reply to your inquiry and probably ask more specific questions from you?  I will glad to answer all your questions about Baguio City.  Thank you.

Hi, thinking of moving back to Phils and planning of settling in Baguio. I only have enough to last me a few months and I started looking for job before my move mid this year. I need a place to stay and a job to keep me going. Can you advise me of a place to stay that I can afford until I get myself a job and a permanent place to stay. Thanks!

Hi,

My wife and I also anticipate moving to Baguio within the year.

The thing I would like help with is finding a home, townhouse rental. Most of the advertisements I read online are for transient homes.

Can anyone give me a good contact in Baguio that would be able to help me find a rental home/townhouse? Non furnished, long term, (in case any property owners are reading). We have paid from 8000 to 15000 in the past and that has been a comfortable price range, down here in the flat lands. Thanks in advance!

I am curious if you moved to Bagio. Did you or do you like it now?

I lived in Baguio for a year and the only thing I liked about it was the weather.

Thanks for your reply.

Another question. Tagautay also has cooler weather. Is it a nice area to live in your opinion? I am having trouble figuring out where to live in the Philippines. My wife is 46 and I am 65. I some times teach English on line so I can live any where here. We just got married and live in Tagbilaran Bohol. Tagbilaran .  It is okay but nothing much to do. We relocated here from Puerto Vallarta Mexico . I taught English as second language. From Boulder, Colorado.

I would be very insight you could also offer on Laguna, Caliveti, as well. It appears Laguan and Tagautay both are areas where people are actively building. I believe in buying 3 to 10 year old homes to get a better value but an area with active building may mean people are trading up. So may be a good area to look for a nicely improved previously owned home. Thanks for any help you might offer. Craig

Baguio: cool but boring. Lived there for a year.

Thanks Fortune Favors the Bold. I have heard this from others besides you so, Nicolen and I not bother making the 8 hours trip to Baguio from Manila.

This is June 23,2019.

I have been back to Toronto, twice since arriving in Baguio, March 31, 2015.  Once in August 2015 and for six weeks last year. I found it lonely in Don Mills, and too spread out.  Much busier on Mabini Street and many great friends. With my wife owning Nature's Way Beauty Salon & Spa on Mabini Street, Baguio.  It is busy with those walking and not having to drive.

The rainy season, is not really a draw back.  And there are a number of good restaurants to visit. I would say the only hard part is not being able to sight see in and around Baguio or rest of the country.   Especially in to Manila or Makati, but lots of opportunities to visit my wife's family in  Ilocos  Norte or Caba, La Union or San Fernando.

There is a lot of Shops and mall, that are very good. But it is the friendship of small business you meat almost every day.  Honestly, I would like to go back to Toronto, and my wife and I are doing it March 15, 2020, to both Calgary and Toronto and then hopefully to Niagara Falls, Montreal and Quebec City, in the 6 weeks.

Hope this helps.

Frank Hazelwood
Baguio City, Php.