ISIS Presence in Indonesia

This is what people should not underestimate here, in fact should stay alerted, those groups are extremely dangerous.

- thejakartaglobe.com/news/isis-presence-indonesia-raises-concern/

"More than 30,000 Indonesians have joined the jihadist movement fighting across the Middle East, and some of them have returned home to establish ISIS branches in Jakarta and West Nusa Tenggara."

That sounds like a very high number...30,000.

Exactly, I am surprised also about this number.

However, some are back here again perhaps more will return. Then they start and recruiting more...

Don't like the post or globe. The way they report is  not good. As for terrorists I am sure they are actively recruiting but they do that globally. Not great but brothers in arms and all that. The government will get round to sorting it out once idul Fitry is over.

30,000 does seem a lot but it could be right.
We know there is a large extremist group in this country, all of whom seem to think killing people is better than helping poor Indonesians.
Daft buggers.

That number, 30,000 just doesn't make sense, nor does it pass the "common sense" barometer. 

Just consider that the best estimates of membership in the FPI is only around 3,000 and that number seems to make sense whenever checking on the number of participants at their rallies.

Agree, 30.000 is not the right number but even if it is just a small % it's somehow worrying.

Few months back you hardly heard about ISIS but meanwhile they spread all over the place in Middle East.

I totally agree Tom...even one is one too many.

Is it politically correct to criticize terrorist groups?  I thought they were supposed to be called "freedom fighters".

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

Is it politically correct to criticize terrorist groups?  I thought they were supposed to be called "freedom fighters".

Sorry but I don't really get what you mean. Fact is that ISIS (or now called just IS) is even more dangerous than other terrorist groups you may know.

Just check on youtube, there you can find hundreds of videos respectively reports about them.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

Sot of depends who they are, what they fight for, and how they fight.

The French resistance were freedom fighters because they were attacking an invading force.
Palestinians are terrorists because they're fighting an invading force.

Sorry, my first line about who they are is wrong, it all depends on who backs you, and how much cash is involved.

One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter. Depends on which perspective you are looking from.

Thank God Indonesia know how to tell the difference, and thank God they also know how to deal with terrorists.  It's called the firing squad.  :top:

Ubudian wrote:

Thank God Indonesia know how to tell the difference, and thank God they also know how to deal with terrorists.  It's called the firing squad.  :top:

I see firing squads this way, from behind them.
More seriously, the trash wagon comes round a couple of times a week to get rid of the rubbish in my bin.
Firing squads do a similar job.
The world is a far safer and generally better place when extremists are no longer living in it.

"The world is a far safer and generally better place when extremists are no longer living in it."

AMEN! 

I have a lot of respect for the way Indonesia handled Amrozi and his crew as well as the Malaysian, Noordin Top.  No fooling around.

mas fred wrote:

The French resistance were freedom fighters because they were attacking an invading force.
Palestinians are terrorists because they're fighting an invading force.

Sorry, my first line about who they are is wrong, it all depends on who backs you, and how much cash is involved.

The United States supported both.  I don't know how much money we gave to France at the time, but we give billions to Palestine.

lukereg wrote:

One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter. Depends on which perspective you are looking from.

According to CNN, nobody's a terrorist.  They go out of their way not to call anyone that.  There are lots of separatists, rebels, insurgents, but not many terrorists in the world.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:
lukereg wrote:

According to CNN, nobody's a terrorist.  They go out of their way not to call anyone that.  There are lots of separatists, rebels, insurgents, but not many terrorists in the world.

That's very interesting.....so how you call the IS/ISIS??

Just tourists visiting Iraq and Syria and checking out Jordan??

I've never heard CNN mention them at all, but terrorists in Iraq are insurgents and in Syria they're either rebels or "pro-government forces".

Well....if you only count on CNN news only probably you never heard about them but then I may have a different CNN news here....

Just Google about them....for sure you get more info

I try to keep things as simple as possible.

If a groups attacks civilians, they're probably terrorists.
If they stick to attacking foreign military in their own country, they're probably freedom fighters.
The latter doesn't mean I have to support their politics or ambitions.

If you wear a bomb and go to a bus station, you're a terrorist.  No matter which god tells you who to hate.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2014 … video.html

"The Communications and Information Ministry has yet to block a video on YouTube depicting Indonesian nationals encouraging others to join ..."

[ Moderated : Inappropriate content ]

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2014 … rters.html

National Counter Terrorism Agency and Human Rights Ministry going to discuss about the growing domestic support in here.

Both consider to revoke citizenship of Indonesians who joined terrorist groups....

U$ GIVES Billion$ to U$RAEL...NOT Palestine

What has your post to do with the subject??

Absolutely nothing...

happyhour wrote:

What has your post to do with the subject??

Absolutely nothing...

Actually, it does.
If your backers have massive piles of cash to throw at PR, the opposition will end up being called terrorists
Regardless of your view of the situation out there, cash talks, no, shouts from the rooftops.

No.....the topic respectively original post is about presence / activities of ISIS in Indonesia.

If comments are thrown in about Israel and Palestine it is a different story and one can open a new thread for discussion.

:cool:

mas fred wrote:

Actually, it does.
If your backers have massive piles of cash to throw at PR, the opposition will end up being called terrorists
Regardless of your view of the situation out there, cash talks, no, shouts from the rooftops.

I couldn't agree more with the money and PR part, but are you saying that Isis is considered a terrorist group because they have less money than Syria?

happyhour wrote:

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2014/08/03/govt-discuss-moves-against-isil-supporters.html

National Counter Terrorism Agency and Human Rights Ministry going to discuss about the growing domestic support in here.

Both consider to revoke citizenship of Indonesians who joined terrorist groups....

Is that good or bad?  Should citizens of countries lose their citizenship if they support terrorists?

No, ISIS are considered a terrorist group because they murder unarmed people.
Others do the same, but their massive PR allows mass murder to be called, defence.

It's happened for a very long time.

Then what does your PR money comment have to do with Isis in Indonesia?

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2014 … hreat.html

So even SBY is seeing a serious problem....

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2014 … ntoso.html

It's good to hear that the Government is watching closely the developments

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

Then what does your PR money comment have to do with Isis in Indonesia?

They don't have the cash support, or at least not compared with people who dislike them.

HaileyinHongKong wrote:
happyhour wrote:

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2014/08/03/govt-discuss-moves-against-isil-supporters.html

Is that good or bad?  Should citizens of countries lose their citizenship if they support terrorists?

Why not doing so??

If they decide joining those terrorist, fighting in Syria and Iraq, they should not be able to return back.

The only reason they return is to recruit more supporters and sooner or later start doing the same here....

I agree.
If someone wants to join their own country's army, fine.
If they go off to fight for someone else, they should stay there.

I have little care if it's some British bloke from Bradford going to fight in Afghanistan, an Indonesian fighting for ISIS, or an American joining the IDF.

You make a bed, lie in it.

What about the French Foreign Legion?

Exactly....I was quite surprised when I first heard about the number of Europeans flying over there to join ISIS

HaileyinHongKong wrote:

What about the French Foreign Legion?

Still French, so OK for the French.
No one else.

If others join, they should remain in the place of service, or live in France at the end,