Where to buy a ADSL routers, ethernet cables, in HCMC?

The router my ISP provided is rubbish and I wish to buy a better one. Where do people go to buy new, quality IT equipment in Ho Chi Minh?

''Nguyen Kim'' which is about 100 yards from Ben Thanh Market.

I bought a TP Link router from there for 600k.

It was very easy to set up and works really well.

COMPRO on That Ton Tung Street, Quan 1, is a TP-Link distributor.

TP-Link, the manufacturer, has an office in Quan 4 and their support is great. All the other hub/router suspects only have agents. TP-LINK WARRANTY IS 3 YEARS! (They swap if you take in to Quan 4). (Put the purchase receipt in side the unit so you don't lose it.

My employer is a TP-LINK OEM customer, so I don't know retail pricing.

The English speaking person at COMPRO is TUYET. Open weekdays to 6.00PM and 5.00PM on Saturdays, closed Sundays.

BTW: Ethernet cables are best if they are flexible. If you see WHITE CABLE WITH A HARD COVERING **DO NOT BUY**.. The conductors in this are SOLID , rather than multi-strand, AND TEND TO HAVE MORE PROBLEMS.

The RJ45 CONNECTORS are designed for MULTI-STRANDED cable ONLY.

Thanks a lot for that advice ! I will check out TP-LINK as I read good reviews about this one:
TP-LINK TD-W8970 Dual-WAN ADSL 2/2+ Wireless-N Router (300Mbps)

Hi,

It's always complicated to set up the modem to suit with the internet you are using. I don't know why remb2030 said it is easy.  Most of router are imported from china and the price is more expensive twice. I prefer buying router from Internet supplier. About 300 000 only which can be used for 3 years when I can ask the technician to install the modem for me.

Dejavu.dot wrote:

Hi,

It's always complicated to set up the modem to suit with the internet you are using. I don't know why remb2030 said it is easy.  Most of router are imported from china and the price is more expensive twice. I prefer buying router from Internet supplier. About 300 000 only which can be used for 3 years when I can ask the technician to install the modem for me.

The OP is trying to get away from an ISP supplied unit, many of which have firmware programming setup to suit the suppler. You can easily goose cable modems so you get high speed - if you know how to modify the software.

I use TP-Link as it is super-reliable, my employer has a string of access points that have been working for over 4 years.

As for setup, if your typical VNese installer can configure a modem - so can almost anyone. Just make sure you copy the settings carefully from your ISP supplied modem, or get a VNese speaking person to get them from the ISP.

Jaitch wrote:

You can easily goose cable modems so you get high speed - if you know how to modify the software.

I used to contact SPT to ask them to help but the technician said "It is very difficult", then he gave me a new router from   SPT which costs 300 000

Do you know how to set up to have high speed? I am eager to receive guidance from you.

You just proved my point about installer 'smarts' - simple minded box swappers.

First of all, I presume you are talking about InterNet via cable TV. Strike 1 is the fact you are on a WAN shared by hundreds. - the host feeding the WAN has a fixed capacity so more people get to share the same pie and the speed drops.

I don't think the site host wants it used as a criminal forum - so I suggest you search on Google, whose morals are lower. There were over seventy solutions offered when I searched a few minutes ago. The query should be: " How to XYZ Modem model ### work faster ", or similar.

The file you need to edit looks like an .ini file but might have a different suffix.

Jaitch wrote:

You just proved my point about installer 'smarts' - simple minded box swappers.

First of all, I presume you are talking about InterNet via cable TV. Strike 1 is the fact you are on a WAN shared by hundreds. - the host feeding the WAN has a fixed capacity so more people get to share the same pie and the speed drops.

I don't think the site host wants it used as a criminal forum - so I suggest you search on Google, whose morals are lower. There were over seventy solutions offered when I searched a few minutes ago. The query should be: " How to XYZ Modem model ### work faster ", or similar.

Yes. Thanks so much. I don't watch TV.

I went to compro looking for an AC router with WDS; the TDLink products looked good to me.

I decided upon a TDLink C7 AC1750 for 2250,000; they didn't have any and asked me to come back the next day. I came back the next day and they did not have it and sent a teenager out to buy it. When took it out at home to test it out I found a TDLink C5 AC1200; the box said C7 AC1750. There's no ethernet cable in the contents either (not that I need one).

I'm taking it back tomorrow, a Vietnamese friend said she would come with me to assist. At this point, I have no warranty since my receipt indicates I bought a different model than I have.

I'm angry at myself for not having checked the product carefully before leaving; but I'll be furious with this retailer if they don't resolve the situation.

does VN use WIFI sticks yet

I forgot to update this.
Compro took a look, saw what happened and asked me to come back in 2 hours. I think it must have been the owners in on that Saturday. They were helpful and kind-- I came back and everything worked out fine. the router works well in normal routing mode and in bridging mode. my wifi sigial is great. I have every confidence that I will be helped out if I ever have to bring the product in.

Mark -- do you mean a wifi adapter in the form of a usb stick? if so, then yes, I'm pretty sure its ubiquitous with modern computing. I was able to source and find the top of the line home wireless wifi technology (AC routers/adapters). So yes, I'm sure you can find usb wifi adapters.

Try "Phong Vu" search their website on google or you can walk to their store directly. For computer thing related, I always choose them.. believe it good!