Switching job to Malaysia

Hi ,

I am got an offer in AM Bank through an consultancy in  India for 6000 ringgit per month.
I have around 2years 6 months experience in IT industry to be more specific on datwarehousing and Business Intelligence domain .
Currently my take home salary in India is about 40k Indian rupees .
I am bachelor so will be shifting alone there .
Could you please advice on whether this offer is advisable and how much I could save if I stay for over a year .

Thanks

Wow salaries offered to foreigners are truly getting very low. Work on RM1k for a multiple shared apartment and monthly expenses of about RM1.5k for expenses and then apply foreign exchange to see if the salary is worth accepting. Also please be careful of job scams, if you are asked to pay ANYTHING to get the job (e.g. work permit, training, accommodation, etc.) then it may not be a legitimate job offer. These figures are the absolute minimum and you would be living at a very low standard. Check out your income tax slab at HASIL. Although early, you should be saving towards a pension by now.  Does the bank offer any other benefits than salary?

I have verified for the genuineness of the Organisation and it is fine on that and don't charge anything from me.

The organisation doesn't provide any other benefits other than Salary,so after a 26% tax deduction it would come around 4400 ringgit per month .

Is it possible to maintain an average lifestyle with RM3.5k , with that I mean a shared apartment but furnished with a/c,tv ,Washing m/c,wifi and other basic needs amenities .
Eating outdoor in weekends .

Many thanks for the quick response it was really helpful.

Depending when you join, the 26% tax slab is only when a person has worked less than 183 days in Malaysia in any calendar year. So right now, your tax would reduce in July 2015 and you could claim back overpayment for 2015 only i.e. you could possibly work over 182 days in that calendar year.  It is certainly doable on RM3.5k per month (above average local salary level), if it is in your career plan. However, a very very low salary, especially for a major bank in Malaysia.  It is local conditions so all your expenses to get to Malaysia will not be covered.

The bank has to offer you health insurance as it is the law these days. I guess you are being made a full staff member and not a consultant?

Because it can be quite expensive when you first arrive to live in a hotel before you find accommodation, have they offered to pay anything towards housing for the first week?

offered salary is not that bad as per your experience.You can maintain more than average lifestyle here if you want to spend 3.5k  .Before accepting job offer please do research on consultancy .

Stumbled on some interesting anaysis of jobs in the IT sector which may be of interest

http://www.payscale.com/research/MY/Job … ant/Salary

Hi Gravitas,

I have been offered a consultant role .
And yes they would provide me hotel accommodation for the first week and would also introduce me to agents who could help in finding place .

Is there any better way of searching house, I would prefer to share accommodation with Indian folks .
And what how much do I need to pay in towards advance for accommodation ?

Hi Jyotiran ,

Many thanks for your advice .

How many days a week do we have to work for in Malaysia .
Here in India most IT services have Saturday and Sunday as week offs .
But there as I have to work for the IT services of a Bank what could be the number of working days any idea ? .

And also I would have a weeks time to search out for rooms , I will get initial accommodation for about a week and then have to make it of my own  .
I would prefer Indian room mates and suggestion of how would I have to start looking for rooms  and how much initial amount do I have to push from my pocket ?

www.ibilik.mywww.iroomrent.comhttp://www.mudah.my/Kuala-Lumpur/Rooms-for-rent-2100http://www.ihomerent.com/

are popular sites that deal with flat sharing vacancies.  Much depends on where your office is located and which areas are easy to commute to/from efficiently.

The deposit terms can vary a lot. Some people dont charge and others charge 2 1/2 months rent.

6K might seem like a low package, but it's good for a person with a couple of years experience. People with 4 times the experience are being offered 1.5-2 times the same package.

Sashky, Gravitas has provided some valid links for looking for shared accomodation. I'd suggest you start looking about a month before you come here by contacting people via the site. Anything earlier might be a waste of time as those offers may not still be available. Once you're here, you can visit the places that you have shortlisted. While researching, keep in mind the train network. You can search for a train chart that gives info. KL has many train lines that offer good connectivity and a fairly comfortable aircon ride compared to the crowded trains in India :-) Ambank head office is next to Raja Chulan station. This is Bukit Bintang area and there are various accom options close by.

In terms of expenses and based on sharing with two other people, you'd be paying 1000-1500 for accom, 600-700 for taxes, 200-250 for utilities (elec, water, internet, TV), 400-500 for groceries, 200 for transport and another 500-700 for eating out and entertainment. So about 4000 MYR. Add another 500 as a buffer and the rest you can save.

Also talk to Ambank HR and ask them if there are any other like you moving from India to KL and working with Ambank. They might be looking for a person to stay with and you'll could even share transport to the office. Good luck mate!

I agree with Gravitas 6k is too low. You can live off it, but no savings unless you do lots of freelance work on the side. Most Indian workers I know here would say the same. Although if you are really young it has become normal to pay very low and exploit the Great depression 2  (I am sure historians will label it as such).

If you are giving up a good job for this then stay where you are. If it means valuable experience, you don't drink alcohol, are willing to work 18 hours a day, can happily share and have no wife or gf or home expenses then obviously a different matter if it helps you long term. KL btw is very expensive to live in, overall most of USA is cheaper now.

Working days would be same as India .As your skill is datwarehousing and going to work for bank . May chances monthly once or twice need to work on weekends on production data .

Do not worry that much , Malaysia work environment is mostly cool and IT industry is very small as compare to India.

About accommodation , you can refer Gravitas and carlyle1979 comments .