HELP... WAS NOT PREPARED PROPERLY FOR THIS PART OF A DAY IN THE LIFE

Actually, I have just lost the first copy of my post about this but alas probably too long.... Summary though, you all know how much homework I did... I remember "other side of Dominican Postcard" reviewing numerous months ago so seeing trash in corner lots contrasted by beautiful road median filled with flowers (sort of a private enterprise vs. government beurocracy of no trash pickup) issue was quite expected.  Just a reminder that I did so much homework that I not only read the reviews for my condominium on HomeAway/VRBO but every single Stanza Mare complex rental and every single Play Turquesa rental unit as that was a pending choice (similar pricing but newer there versus allowed to have a dog here)... Long story short, nowhere did any visitor who gave any review mention what I have encountered... and most of these reviewers (all averaging 4 or 5 stars for every unit I read)...are from Northern US or Canada....I clearly also remember being so happy to read that cockroaches are not a big issue here in Northeast Coast, just some type of fuzzy centipede.  Having lived in a 20 year old empty house to rehab in Florida in 1980, I still have nightmares of the infestation one can experience in the tropics....But, having revisted other Florida newer resorts, even an old place with great management, I know the difference between an infestation from vacancy or dirtiness (droppings and scurrying bugs at night when one turns on the lights) and that IS NOT the case here..

However; what has happened and I only find shocking since never mentioned is that I have had two major encounters.. First (maybe my first floor location a cause) but guys who seem to work landscaping all day every day were spraying down the patios and I found a huge floating cockroach in the adjacent toilet.. Luckily,I didn't have to do much but have to say that it made me wonder as although there are older appliances here (I am sure not everyone requires the spoiled American need for Stainless appliances) but in all honesty, they are rusty as well as some lights but I also know that can be from the ocean air.. I would really just summarize it by saying that as beautiful as this place is on the outside, each owner is really responsible for the "Look and feel of the inside"... having attributed my first sight of what I consider the world's most horrible insect to the water being sprayed all over, and that was day 4, day 6, ended with the landscapers smoke bombing (some type of insecticide) the complex but unfortunately, likely wasted as it was followed by an entire day of rain..  I am also aware that as a precaution, one can place all food in the fridge, although with so many people living well in Florida, even places here... there have to be some ways to have an almost zero appearance?

That evening, I saw an incredibly large one run across fhe floor and only the courage from a stiff drink led me to take off the 3 magazines thrown and get it outside.  It seemed to me though that this was likely due to the rain... nowhere else to go?  As also the next day, being sort of upset by this unexpected intrustion, I wanted to sweep behind things, make sure all was clean behind sofas, etc.  Found no dirty floors or dust but two more large "friends" apparently dead and recently so... swept them away and decided I would talk to Yves again... he assured me this a.m. (after saying cultural again and I think he means "expected here".. as no culture would want them, would they???? that my concern that the rain was the issue was most likely true and having just been sprayed, this is why the other dead ones and that indeed they smoke bomb not only they outside but will be coming to do the inside was well.

I won't go into my history of being terrorized by these creatures in Florida over 30 years ago and feel free to call me Naïve, but shall I chalk this up to "Should have known, even though I didn't see any mention of them"
Is there anything you think might be wrong with the unit?  Certainly not brand new and sparkly but well cared  for ?
There defnitiely is no infestation as I truly know what that is   If I start seeing them everyday without rain and am informed that they are spraying inside and out, anything else I can do.. I really wanted to have my brother visit or even my sister but one view of a large one of those and my sister would go home the next day.. This is why I didn't let her come down with me originally as she expects the Four Seasons in a Holiday Inn Express...

Since I always appreciate the honesty from this group and you seem to have spot-on recommendations every time I enquire, I would welcome any opinions, advice.. etc.  .

Sadly, Yves, the owners rep told me on my first day of bragging about all I had read that "Oh No... Cockraoches are a part of the culture here (and I think his 4 different languages didn't help him as no one would really call that a cultural thing)... But of hundreds of reviews (where they are not allowed to delete negative info, only comment on it... nothing about possible Cockraoaches..Again I yield to this forum of experts... and appreciate any responses.

Oh you can expect cockroaches here as part of life. Keep the place clean and dry, no food left out, I store as much as possible in the fridge and I routinely spray!!!  Spray all window openings, door frames, doorways and around all plumbing! I spray every month and yes every once in a while they make an appearance.

Yes Roaches are part of every day living here in the tropics and is not necessarily a reflection of your lifestyle.

We have an exterminator at our villa as well as at our condo at least two times a year.  And still it is not unusual every once in a while to fine one "giant" one dead on the floor.  I guess  you learn to live with it and don't pay it much attention.

Wait till you get a rat in the house :D

Bob K

Okay Bob K, so the last part was a joke, right... I am willing to deal with a large CR every once in a while (sitting here wondering if these clouds mean more rain = more visitors).. But with more than 3 million people coming here per year to PC alone , not one mention on any site makes me think it isn't that bad and I just had one shocking nite! But nothing from the rodent world please... And Planner, you are right, I already did know and am putting things in the fridge and even in the nicest places in southern Florida (we're talking Naples which is one of the most expensive Real Estates in the world) one large dead guy is not a big deal..Just feeling my way around expectations!!!  But Planner, I had not considered spraying myself on top of what the condo complex does.. I have met numerous vacationing couples and one owner and I am going to make a point of trying to locate again to get a feel for what she experiences herself here....If you have time, could you let me know what you spray... I know the professional stuff is sometimes smoke related outside but generally inside is something from a Chrysanthemum plant but I've only seen Raid in the grocery store.. What do you use when you spray yourself?.. Oh and by the way... I have checked all the normal (hiding places I remember) and as these are rather large insects, they leave a tale-tell dropping and have seen absolutely nothing which reassures me at least that I will have that infrequent visitor..Thanks again

Only half kidding about the rodent visitors. It does happen especially around new construction and when there is fruit around ripening on the trees.
We have had none in our second floor condo and in the last 7 years three episodes in the villa.

Bob K

Hello Syringles My wife and I have just been reading all your posts on not being prepared and planning your whole trip and that sounded like such a familiar story as we have been coming to the D,R, for about 15 years to all different parts of the island staying in the all inclusive resorts for 2 weeks at a time till last year for the month of Feb.a  year ago and decided to rent a condo and stay for a month to see if we really did like like it and lo and behold we loved it but to the point I was wanting to tell you.
Our first night we arrived was around 11 at night no idea what to expect as the unit rental was all done on line through home away and was in contact with the owner who in turn put us in contact with the property manager who he had hired to manage the rentals and any problems that arise with the condo so she had arranged for us to be picked up at the airport so all the way down we wondered if there would be anyone there or if there really is a condo. The driver was there waiting and sure took a load off our mind and he drove us to the condo. We got all our luggage into the condo and still did'nt really have a clue as where we were only knew we were in Bavaro.
The condo manager was there waiting  to sign us in and as we were signing the rental contract lo and behold what runs across the kitchen counter was one of you friends the giant cockroach and who happens to see this is the wife and wow I thought she was going to jump off the second floor balcony in fact I think I even had to hold her down and the property manager just looked like whats the big deal its only a bug and its a good thing I'm not squeamish as living on a farm I see all kinds of creatures, anyway the manager left and the wife sat on the couch and said she wanted to go down the road to one of the resorts and was not staying with monsters in her house.
Took some convincing but decided to stay the night after checking all the beds and she would'nt even open the suitcases, and a promise to go to the store and get some spray first thing in the morning.So in the morning off we go to get all the spray and cleaning chemicals we figured we would need to sanitise the condo and went top to bottom spraying ant and Roach raid spray (which works quite well and does the trick syringles) and sprayed inside all the kitchen cupboards along the wall and bottom of cupboards,  and drawers and in the 2 bathrooms under the sinks between the vanity and  floors , and around the doors and under the doors going outside and went out for a while to
Dannys sports bar down the road for a much deserved drink or two then came back and left the wife by the pool while I checked the fallout and found around 8 monsters all belly up and some little ones so swept them up and went and got the wife and spent awhile cleaning and disinfecting the condo then unpacking and enjoyed the rest of the month but did spray the condo under the kitchen and bathrooms cabinets every 2 weeks and and kept the bathroom and kitchen drains covered to stop them coming up from the drain pipes.
This year we rented the same condo for Jan. to Apr.and stopped and first thing we did was pick up our groceries and raid before we even got to the condo and sprayed unpacked and loved our 3 months and have booked to come down before Christmas this year and Planner will be in touch in a PM shortly as still have the same plans as I messaged you about a while ago.
So keep your chin up and will talk to you soon syringles as you are in the same area just about 2 blocks away from where we stay every year and know a few people there and had my sister stay with us who also has MS for many years and just loved the pace of life and mostly the weather and company and people.

OH OKAY... GOT IT BUT ALSO NEW INFO,,, WOULD APPRECIATE ADVICE ....Well, Bob I will assume that, not being around any fruit trees (unless I am mistaken and Coconuts are up on those palm trees and I don't know if Coconuts are truly a fruit) but lets just say...I think I'm okay there and the only real trash issue is outside the limits of this complex, seemingly not bad for 1 block or so.   Interesting though, as I went to local store today, met a neighbor on way home who is not an owner but on his 2nd unit in the complex.  Lived on third floor here for one year and never saw one of those bugs in or outside but says they should be spraying every single month inside and out and if someone wasn't here to let them in, then I might have been missed?  He has also lived in Florida so knows all the do's and don'ts which we discussed..Also, he now lives on First floor oceanfront and has noted a few only dead ones on patio I believe he said after spraying done but never in last year on first floor 3 BR unit has he seen any live ones...

Oddly, it looks like rain again and they just smoked the entire community again.. Kind of sickening for a while and don't know why done in the dark but this is what started it the other night so we shall see.  I was wondering (and didn't want to ask) if my "long-term" great deal is such a great deal that perhaps I got a unit with issues.  And nothing will dismay me if they are fixed soon but hot water heater switch (which is great idea to only heat for when  you want a good shower as the water here is rather lukewarm without heat anyway)... but still no hot water heater working as I assumed I misunderstood the very simple directions of switch on the "ON" button , but caretaker showed it to me this a.m. and I had been doing it right so now have to report that he will need that fixed.  Also, there was a faint smell of gas for first couple days so I had him come over and he found indeed (by using my dishsoap to see if line from stove to wall made a bubble which it was suppose to but did not, leaving him to state it was condo org's problem and he would report it.  I told him that I rarely ever use stove top which is true as I'm a microwave cook who also eats lots of fresh fruits, cereals, yogurts, etc.  I also had to remind him that the first day when all windows with screens were open and fans were on for my arrival, I went to close them for a while to use air conditioner and the window above where I take shower has a broken handle and does not work so I had to take a towel and stuff it in there (don't think the uninvited visitor came from there as they seem to only appear on floor) but another issue.

I refuse to have the attitude that I got a bum unit as I the reason I came here was not the look of the shower but the feel of the breeze on that beautiful patio, the pool within 20 feet and the most incredible beach and ocean I have ever seen and they've all come true.  Plus all the young Dominican men who work here (could be Haitian but I don't think so) are incredibly kind and helpful.... Part of my problem may be that I don't wish to act like things not being right are so bad that ..it's all a big deal.  However; in hearing that another neighbor who lived on both 3rd floor and now 1st has had not issues regarding bugs, I'm wondering if based on the number of things I've already noted that are broken or wrong  have contributed. 

I know some people might have made a list and demanded things fixed asap, but I have also read enough here on the boards to know that it probably isn't that easy for an owner 3000 or so miles away to get a gas line fixed or communicate to the people in the office what needs done... Now if the water heater is broken, I actually feel bad for him but don't want to appear to be harassing... I know that I pay for this and from what I understand about filling these units off season, owner is lucky to have long-term tenant, and sorry Bob and all, this seems to have gone from a question about bugs to a litany of things wrong and although they truly are broken, I'm hoping you think I am approaching this correctly... Obviously I would think you would agree that hot water (if truly broken) is a must fix asap and perhaps I should at least write to owner so that he's aware the gas line is broken but when think of doing it, I don't want Yves, to think I'm going over his head since he's such a nice man trying to make a living?  I think it's good that I'm long-term and willing to be patient as a weeky renter might not be too happy without a stove to cook with or hot water? 

Anyway, I was really going to just respond about the bugs and info from neighbor but as the "smoke bombing" started again, window wouldn't close... leading me to think of the shower, water, etc, I realized there is a good amount I need addressed and it one of those "WWOD" (What would Others do?) situations...

Patient and eager for your advice,

Syringles/Leslie

Sorry Rigger... looks like I missed your post as I was writing the latest one.  I so appreciate your information.  Sounds like you, as I did, had a shock (since really I would have thought that after reading about 150 reviews for almost every single condo in Bavaro/Cortecito on HomeAway/VRBO, not one mention of "a problem with giant cockroaches" or really bugs of any kind.. So I know I just posted about some other problems with my unit... but it appears that some units here where I am have it worse than others and it may be simply where the water is, unit location, etc.... My individual unit here, I could tell from the photos beforehand doesn't look as  "fancy new and modern decorated" as some other units I saw but there isn't a speck of real dust or cobwebs, nothing like that and I even know how to look for the tell-tale signs of infestation so that's not the problem (that would have really sent me down badly)... So, I know that I will first thing tomorrow get info from the office on the last time this unit was sprayed... then have owner's rep pick up raid or best product locally for in-between times and really pin him down on a finalization of getting these major issues fixed as when I put them in writing,, they appear to be a little more major than I really wanted to think about.  I simply feel a little badly for the "Yves" who I refer to as the owner's rep as he is such a good, sweet man and just took over managing this unit and surely wants probably to have more business from owners here and having this many issues so soon for him to deal with actually makes me feel badly for him (although I do know he gets paid).. I remain optimistic as he is such a positive person.
I wonder if you would share with me as I was a little confused at the end of your post...Do you have plans to be down here before again before the end of October?  I wasn't sure I understood that.. I love it that your sister with MS comes down... I believe already that the breezes and fresh air are very health for me!!  I was pretty enthusiastic after I met the neighbor who is on his third year as just a renter.  He has a 3 BR here and told me what he pays so based on his incredible deal, I think what I pay is in line with the deep discounts for long-term.. I so much appreciate your input and post... Thanks so much and hope we do get to meet at some point...

Leslie/Syringles

Leslie it is not wrong to expect broken things to get fixed no mater if the owner is next door or 3000 miles away.  We have a rental unit and will respond immediately if someone has a problem while staying there.  Many of our clients who bought condos use them as rental units when they are not here.  They all have, and I am sure your landlord does as well, a management company taking care of the units and guests.  This management company should be able to respond to your needs. When we first got here we rented a small villa for 8 months.  Our hot water heater stopped working and after calling the management company we had a new heater that afternoon.

No not having hot water or a gas leak IS a MAJOR problem and you should be able to get it resolved very quickly, and
should expect as much.

Bob K

I agree with Bob, get the major things fixed. Right away. The little things you can tackle after the big ones.

Use spray yourself every month regardless of what happens outside. That fogging is likely for mosquitoes. At the grocery store in the bug spray section look for a big red can. That is what I use every month. It works.

But.... big but here....cockroaches are normal in this country. You will see them, they will show up uninvited. Once in a while is not a big deal. You will need to learn how to handle it!

Sorry guys, but ya'll had me laughing so hard my sides hurt...I'm originally from southeast Texas and know all about the big ones....Water bugs we called them cause they like water alot! Draines, damp places etc.  I got  to be pro at finding their nest and destroying with great pleasure each and every one! Not trying to down play just the post so caught me at the right moment and it felt good to laugh so hard! Thank you!

Been debating whether or not to mention a post a read elsewhere about Punta Cana...I DON'T like spiders much at all. I will kill them though before they get me! Anyways this post was on tarantula's, large dinner plate size ones...Again I am used to seeing them run across the road etc but not up close and personal like this post mentions.  It was creepy and then sorry again I had to howl on the description one poor woman posted about her encounter in a roadside stop en route to a Jungle Tour.  Apparently, these things climb walls, trees etc.  Not what I am used too, ours would bury themselves in tunnels in the ground and come out to hunt. The ones in Punta Cana  or just outside, not sure where stop was made when she got off the bus the road in front of the little liquor store was covered with "squashed" dead ones. She ventured to the restroom and when almost ready to finish up decided for some reason to look up at the overhead rafters. What she saw scared her to death as it would have myself also> there where according to her report 5-10 of the hairy things crawling on the rafters above. She hightailed it out of there back to the bus! This is where I lost it laughing because I could so visualize this (and knew it was exactly the reaction I would have had too!) On the way back to the bus she noticed one crawling up the side of the building. WOW!  Apparently they also climb trees and the visitors were told by guide if one got on them to hold still while guide carefully removed them. Wow!  This was news to me found during my research on the DR to learn still more...Has anyone else heard of this? Do they live anywhere other than the south coast? I hope NOT! But guess need to know. Roaches are one thing but this....chilling...

P.S. Interesting on the roaches too, in Puerto Rico we actually didn't have roaches. Everything was kept in metal cans or glass, even sold that way. We had the lizards everywhere though...Don't remember the roaches in Hawaii either but Texas oh yeah....

Hello all, I think this is where I am supposed to post a continuation of a prior topic and this should put this topic to rest for me.... For the most part, all posters here were incredibly helpful with suggestions when I found myself in this paradise but also found myself not quite alone... I shall update you all with how I wrote to the owner (but shorter) of my 6 month intended rental about two weeks  (or June 6th spcecifically).. Fist I should state that if I have learned one thing in life it is that I should take those special people I meet (even if only a friendly and remarkably accepting email from someone I chose not to rent from last September) and keep their kindness in my heart or in the virtual world, keep their emails in case I have occasion to need that friendly voice again.

After my updating this group about how I truly loved my condo community, but found my individual unit rather unclean when arriving, my alarm in the first week of finding so many dead (and a few live as in one swimming in extra bath toilet and when that came running out of same bath) cockroaches, then to find my bed infested with ants (due to a spider not cleaned up from fumigation)... You all offered great cleaning and other advice.. My concern was feeling a little naive having read every review about every unit in Stanza Mare and almost every other unit for rent in El Cortecito.. I was shocked at never hearing of cockroaches being seen, much less infesting such condos (only read about possibility of sand fleas at beach (aka mosquitoes and some fuzzy centipede type bug I have yet to see).. I decided this wouldn't ruin my dream but obviously shared some dismay that I realized (even after the owner acknowleged the only time one sees so many dead "ones" is if fumigation was missed) which is exactly why I called the office to see if I was missed and if they could do any early one....something that seemed to make him angry. He also had changed managers recently and I didn't want to blame it on new manager not cleaning but someone clearly didn't. 

I noted my attempts to alert the office angered him and I received emails actually requesting I not even "get involved in the board politics" something shocking as I had no intention and I started to realize as many board members were in town (this complex is run by a board of directors) for a meeting.. What he really didn't want people to know was that he had any type of bug issue.  He even wrote to me that "it is normal to see one maybe two roaches per month, but any more than that, then you've got a real problem....After meeting some truly kind vacationers (some owners) it became clear that the building I was in did have per the owners, some type of special cockroach issue. The unit didn't have the more mordern looking furniture that others did, but if you remember, this was the owner whose quote (while not the lowest, nor the highest) would allow me to have a small dog, something I use to think I had to have.  I also reiterated here and to owner and his local manager that having lived in Florida rehabbing an old home years ago, this was something I wasn't shocked about now that I was here but I know for a fact from staying at very luxurious and even moderte priced resorts that one can stay and never see them as they can be controlled if each occupant follows common sense and the community does extensive fumigation both indoors and outdoors.

I had to write to him about water coming through the walls running into a puddle on the floor (shockingly),... I knew this should have concerned him but seemed not to... At same time, was taking all the best advice this group had to offer and also posting about some of owner's more ridiculous statements.  Regardless I still enjoyed my days, only finding my nights a little frightul as I would be at the beach all day and truly only used condo for small dinners (nothing cooked)  and sleep.  You all gave great advice when I found that the wicker/sissal rug under my feet was likely the cause of the mosquito (sand flea) bites that I never got during the day... only at night when feet on that rug.. Removing it, I noted a pound or so of filthy dirty looking sand (probably with the larvae in it) got the rug into the bathroom I refused to use...

If you remember, I also was asked to leave during the morning they were finally going to fumigate, as they said there was a leak above my unit only accessible via my bathroom.... No one told me the issue but I knew owner was aware and hoped he put two and two together as I advised about the water running into the floor from the walls and I thought it was from rain... I had looked forward to an upcoming great month of June.. I never put it together that even though my first week of noting the huge cockroach in the unused bathroom toilet, the one running out of it, and all the dead ones (which certainly only had to do with nobody cleaning after end of April fumigation to my May 1st arrival.. Same with wicker/sissal rug.. Owner seemed to get increasingly angry and I was simply providing information.. Only statement made by me in anger was when I was told not to talk to people (who I could never pre-identify as owers) and his assumption that i ate in bed causing the matatress infestation of ants.. He later apologized but said he thinks new Manager is afraid to inform him of problems....

Unbelievalbe to me, I had accepted that since most people I met there had never seen any cockroach issues other than dead ones if on first floor (whcih seems reasonable as they clean this place better than any resort I had ever seen and most owners are worth millions)... However; so sadly after enjoying my cultural experiences and meeting such great people, I had hired 2 cleaning ladies as my obligation to keep the place clean on June 6th... I came home early and shockingly watched as they dodged at least 5 to 6 huge cockroaches and swept them outsisde.  Due to the language barrier, I had them speak to the only person in the office who spoke English who affirmed that they didn't see any roaches until cleaning that extra bathroom and they were literally falling from the ceiling.  The office worker treid to calm me down as he said it must all have to do with something the plumbers did while fixing the leak....

Knowing the owner, the issues I had experienced, the water within the walls and that plumbing is connected throughout those units, I pretty much demanded he let me out of my lease where i prepaid all funds, and send it imediately.. His initial response was not necessarily negative, yet he agreed to repay me and asked where to send the check

I found last year's previous correspondence and immediately contacted the sweet lady from the year before practically begging her for a unit til October..I could have asked the couple who rents out and manages about 20 units where I was as I am and was then totally convinced this was simply owner neglect and some bad luck which even though beyond his control, was his responsibility to get fixed and when he said "easy fix" about the literally thousands that were found blaming it all on the plumbers (when I warned him this had likely been due to prior leaks), I felt it better since there were many "board and owner"issues going on to not pit one owner against another.  I still stand by the fact since I have named the complex on prior occasions that it is truly one of the most beautifully landscaped and perfectly located condo complexes I have ever seen and I have travelled enough to know.  I would even consider renting from one of the lovely owner/managers that I met as their units are exquisitely maintained....

I was even going to go to a hotel for a week or so if I coulnd't get into the neighboring complex right away... This wonderful lady ended up finding me one place to stay for a week (which is always more expensive but it was oceanfront and still cheaper than a hotel) and as of 6/15, yesterday, I am now in the unit I was able to preview.. and I can say that I am just as happy indoors as I am outdoors...

I made it a point, since so many new friends/apparent condo owners at the other complex had occasion to know some of what went on, expeically owner not bothering to offer me a new mattress when ants infested... Not even realizing one was married to a board member, when she came to say goodbye, a quick tour by her and another firend/owner made me feel at least that my shock at the status of the unit was not unfair or unfounded.  I certainly knew it isn't great idea to add an On swtich for the water heater but leave a huge hole in the tile .... add a wall air conditioner and leave a 6 x 6 hole in the wall, and although it is commnon apparently for the water here that can come out rustlike, negelect like I saw and the faulure like other owners there to patch any dents cause them all concern that this unit was in terrible shape, especially where many of these people rent out their units in season for 5 X his amount for the same size unit....

In no way do I want to go onto "Home Away" where I found the rental and warn people as doing that would be hurting the livelihood of people who make money by managing, by cleaning, etc.. My fear is that I not leave this all unreported as no sooner had I sent my address to the owner for the check, and his apparently forgetting his own emails where he stated that "seeing any more than one live one per month or so...and we have a problem"., he wrote to me that the local manager informs him that all Condos in this area have these same cockroach issues...UHH.. think many would differ as there's a difference between maintaining fumigation and seeing a couple and the issue that forced me to leave, neglected water leakage and hundreds if not thousands in the walls.. I couldn't belive he put that in writing Yet,. I have decided that since I was given the eamil address of a freind/owner who it turns out has a husband on the Board of directors that the fairest thing to do is to beg them (since they are run like an American Board of Directors of an official condo association (Canadian as well)... that they force the owner to not rent that unit until all traces of what I never wanted to call an infestation is gone.. You see, cleaning my items dilligently before moving sill thinking there were no eggs, etc...,I found the beginnings of what is such a clear wanring and that is dozens of baby cockroaches...The owner seemed angrier after his first letter of agreement to return the funds stating that I offended his decorating and the place he and his wife had made "home"  Yet of interest to me is that before I even arrived in Punta Cana, he offered me to rent the unit permanently after my 6 months??  and it is back up for rent on Home Away.. I simply want to enjoy enjoy enjoy where I am and the worst thing I have seen is a poor green grasshhpper who endedup stuck in a screen...

I miss the incredibly lush landscaping of my former residence and look back at the awesome workers both Dominican and Hatiian and the friends I met as a great expeiernce... I have already had great experiences in the last week at my new complex. 

Wanted to let you all know the stasus.. I feel like I tried my very best and your words of encouragement were very needed, including very honest posts that I should find a way to deal with the few I would see, suggestions of what to clean with,etc.  I am under no illusion that there are no potential issues where I am currently, only a few blocks away... But I am now in great hands with a manager who is super tough not only on those who she brings in to fix things such as the air conditioner on my first night, but apparently only takes on units that are in very good rental condition.... I look forward to the rest of my summer... Hope to be posting many more cultural experiences and now that I am in such good hands, have even finally been able to request that my sister visit.. Thanks to all for your previous posts and your welcoming spirit.. I love my little neighborhood here in El Cortecito and look forward to a not really a new beginning as I've tried to live with 'no regrets' but a different beginning.. Thaks to all

This post was so long I could not follow it.  I will try again tomorrow when I am more awake.  Bottom line did you move?

Bob K

I am sorry to read you felt it necessary to change but glad you got it handled.

honey you have got to stop writing such long detailed messages.  Most of us know your history and your story,  we dont need to keep reading it. Give us the updates and conclusions and please feel free to post your solutions. YES when you keep seeing adult cockroaches you know the babies are around....

So, please tell us how it is going,  give us the new stories,  and we are always here to help you!!!!!   Looks like I will be up that way later in July  - are you still here??? Would love to meet you.

Sorry Bob,  tried not to make this one so long but had many to thank, including you and i think lessons learned for the "try it for 6 monthers".....not all is about climate, rental owner so,very important!! yes I had to,move due to newest issue..now very happy..when u have chance to read long post, your opinion very appreciated as a condo owner?!!  thanx again
syringles

Sorry just missed this while replying to Bob....Still in Punta Cana....LOVING NEW CONDO... sorry again long post.. thanx for all help and advice was gist of my post to you guys...here til July 17th when i go home 15 days to see grandbabies and doctors..hope very much you will be around then....yes i write dissertations when one sentence will do...still appreciate your wisdom....syringles

Glad it seems to be working out at the new place.  Ownership and managemnet is so important in condo rentals.  That is why we manage our own unit perosnally.  It is much easier also with us living here and we actually manage another unit as well for some friends.

Word or mouth and referals from pervious  renters are so important to us and we try to go out of our  way  for our  renters.  My wife is a bit anal about this but  it keeps our unit  occupied 85% of the time.

ONe  bad renter is much worse than 100 happy ones.  So we strive for HAPPY

Have a great day and PLEASE shorten your posts.

Bob  K

Ahhhhh honey I will miss you this trip, I am likely there the week of July 20. But next time......

Enjoy the new place and your trip!!! Please keep us updated.......

Will keep you all updated and will preview posts.. I write as I speak which is tangential (all over the place as my one neurologist said).. It's not an excuse but that inner voice always thinking to make sure to cover all bases for those who didn't read everything... Was told number of years ago that 23 years on various and multiple CNS drugs.... mind goes super fast especially for a super fast typist.... Got a great idea yesterday in my responses..  took off the keyboard and used touch screen type which is super hard, alas, a way to make short posts..

Thanks to all

Yes I can understand how it would be hard. Touchscreen to the rescue!!!

Touch scree is a good idea.
Right now in EWR waiting for my flight home using my touch screen tablet

Bob K

I live in Miami, where we also have big flying cockroaches, or as Realtors© call then "palmetto bugs".
I used to have lots of them, Then I started using Echols cockroach tablets, and now I rarely see one.  These are mostly Boric Acid, and you can also get Boric Acid anywhere. These tablets seem to make the Boric Acid seem delicious to the roaches, though and they chew on them and die.
Boric Acid is harmless to people. Bugs on the other hand, cannot fart. Boric Acid reacts in their roachly tummies and makes a lot of gas and they explode and die, they say.

If you mix Boric Acid with cracker meal, you will get the same result.

Boric Acid works on all ants as well, except for the microscopically teensy ones.

OH THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE MOST WONDERFUL WAY FOR ME TO END THIS TOPIC..  After reflection, it is clear that any tablet, spray, topical solution, etc. would not have helped the fact that this owner simply didn't care... I know I've written too much about it already but while I am now staying in a unit where the manager not only demands her owners have certain quality of condo's but she makes a point of wanting every pro-active measure done.. There are no issues in this complex that I am aware of and certainly have not been any in my unit...I m now living in the joy inside that I have outside.....

It really comes down to being pro-active, fixing leaks when a tenant tells you your walls are leaking (since those bugs love that along with the wires inside), etc. etc.  Being cheap could cost him his home and likely damage others.. I have, however finally gotten to the point where I don't jump when I am seeing something brown.. My glasses fell off my head to the floor and I screamed in fear (they're bown) just a week or so ago!

BUT, your last solution I hope will come in handy for someone but I have to say I am laughing hysterically.. Although I never wanted an image of one of those 3 inch monsters in my mind again... Your description of them eating the boric acid, not being able to fart and blowing up, had my mind going to a cartoon movie of those terrible things running across the floor and I laughed for a while.... Not because I don't take it seriously but it is for me absolute comic relief after even being reminded again of my month with the cookarochas!!

Thanx

Hola, To all of those who have helped me on this first part of my 6 month Punta Cana trial vacation, thank you very much... Planner, sadly I can't believe I will miss your visit to Punta Cana, not great timing for me but hope you have a good stay.... I am happy to say that since I have acquired my second condo here that I am more eager than ever to likely stay for several more years... I have looked at other beautiful condo complexes, one so gorgeous that if it was in the US, it likely would never be financially within my reach yet is available long-term to me for less rent that I pay even here ocean front... but that's the issue... it's across the main road and since I'm here for my health, I don't see myself riding my scooter (which gets so many laughs as many have no idea what it is, certainly don't realize it's because I can't walk....) and more importantly, I would not have a pre-set up group of padded chairs, persons to help store my scooter.. (a blessing) and everything within walking distance and I've even gone as far as the grocery store behind the complex with my braces, no scooter... So Grade A for health benefit!!

Yet, I am happy I took the opportunity to see other places, including one very well-known House Hunters International new seemingly awesome complex and I learned my lesson why the unit (2BR Penthouse) was so cheap (1250 month in oceanfront complex)... It's already falling apart and used a vacation rental, burnt floors and kitchen wall.. so very sad for the owner... So now. I can go home and visit my family and grandbabies.. visit my doctor (who I am certain will give me a very clean bill of health; although may have some words for the amount of sun I have!!)  Best case scenario however; would be that after my October 15th lease ends here; I return home for a longer stay of perhaps 6 months as I had a goal of paying off all my debt (not that big but 6 months no rent would do it and I can stay with my sister).. WE shall see but I just wanted to express how much I love this country and the people... I love exchanging my little spanish with those here who know just a little English and together we somehow have a conversation!!!

Anyway, I won't create a novel.. Bringing home cigars to men in my family (150 to stay under limit).. If anyone has time to respond, I cannot for some reason find out if the airlines take DR Pesos when I check in my luggage and pay the fees.  In Indianapolis, I could even use a credit card, but have no idea what is in store here,,, anyone familiar with travelling out of PUJ to US, answer would help me... Same with how I pay the fine for overstay which I assume to be okay for DR Pesos and if I"m right, it is still $800 pesos as I'm not here 90 days but over 60!!

Talk to lovely group later and thanks again.

So great to here!!!!  I will see you when you get back, even if I make a special trip.

For over stay fine - they take pesos!

Travel safe honey.

So glad that this worked out for you and we all look forward to your return!

They take pesos for your overstay fee and yes it is still $800 if you have been here less than 90 days.

As to luggage charges by the airlines they take $USD and yes you can use your credit card at the check in counter when you check your bags.

Have a safe journey back home

Bob K