Would love to hear more about Argentina before relocation

Hi. I am planning a move to Argentina to teach English. I have a good friend in Cordoba, and will head there. I am in the beginning stages of planning, but would love to hear from other English teachers about their experience. I also would like to hear generally just how different it is to live in Argentina vs. the USA. I have traveled extensively in Asia, India, and Europe. THANKS! Allison

Hello Allison,

Knowing someone where you moving really helps.  Living/working here long term can be difficult... many times you need to know someone in finding decent job.

If you plan on doing it "correctly", you need your residency and then also register with taxing authorities....  you can do things "under the table", but if living here for any length of time or want to work for legit company/school will need to do so and that is quite a bit of work to get it done.  I did both immediately with help of my wife (Argentine).

The larger cities have their criminal elements... I lived in big cities in the States, but here it is a bit different.  Street crime with thieves riding on motorcycles with a gun or knife is common, especially for women walking alone or waiting for bus.

I like Argentina a lot... but the crime and inflation is tiresome.

Tim

Hello all

Kindly note that your posts are now on a new thread on the Argentina Forum so as to help you get more visibility and interaction to the latter.

Regards

Kenjee

Hi,
You say that " I am planning a move to Argentina to teach English" which could be a good project but did you ever think which kind of visa you would be able to get? From my humble point of view none of the possibilities vailable. I am french, living in Cordoba for 7 years and I can tell you that I highly recommend you to COME and SEE and STUDY the true situation before making any decision of coming here permanently. Economical situation is a catastrophy and there is no job opportunities which would allow you to live correctly from your income in Argentina.

Vey welcome on private message if you need more explainations.

best regards

I am a Canadian living in Mendoza.  I have a blog you might like to take a look at: http://www.roberteb.com/

Would love to hear more about Argentina before relocation
Hi. I am planning a move to Argentina to teach English. I have a good friend in Cordoba, and will head there. I am in the beginning stages of planning, but would love to hear from other English teachers about their experience. I also would like to hear generally just how different it is to live in Argentina vs. the USA. I have traveled extensively in Asia, India, and Europe. THANKS! Allison

You could start by putting an extra L in traveled..... I think you should go to the US of A.

You seem to me with all due respect based on 5 slivers of text, not the type of person that will make a go of it here in Argentina.