Getting married in Uganda

Hi all,

We invite all the ones who got married in Uganda or who are about to get married in Uganda to participate in this thread :)

What are the formalities to get married in Uganda? Is it the same for a couple of foreigners of for a mixed couple (between a foreigner and a native of Uganda)?

Are the procedures complicated?

How long does it take to carry out all the formalities?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Armand

what are the requirements to marrying a Ugandan woman, in Uganda

Hi,

Getting married to a Ugandan girl depends on which form of marriage you wish to undertake with her. The options are 1. A customary marriage, where you marry according to her customs and culture. 2.A civil marriage before the Registrar of Marriages. 3. A church marriage in a recognised church.

There are formalities for a Civil and Church marriage such as both being above the age of 18 years, giving notice of the marriage  and marrying in a licenced place etc.

Cheers

Joanne

how long notice do we have to give ?

man it depends how flexible the girls family is.

I'm headed over to Uganda this winter and my fiancée and I are getting married. I'm just wondering about the costs involved. I found them a while back online, but wasn't able to find them this time around. Trying to figure out how much money to save up before I travel. Any help is great :) thanks.

i need to know how long takes and what documents are needed to get married (civil marriage) a Ugandan woman being a foreigner. Civil Marriage. I plan to come to uganda this august cause after it I must come back to work to spain and if i can get married with her I will be able to aply to bring her to Spain and be happy together. Then, when we will have all her papers in Spain on point (next odissey) we will go back to Uganda to have a church beautiful wedding as she deserve. Any help? Webale nyo

hey ajrobinson! how are you? Im trying to do the same you did. A civil marriage with a Ugandan woman. Could you give me any advice?

Hello,
can you explain for me how does it work to get married in uganda ?
do i have to be 21 days in uganda to register or how?
thanks

Hi everyone

I've been doing some research and will probably write a post about this on my blog Diary of a Muzungu | Uganda travel blog

Here are some links that you might find useful:

Very useful intro from a lawyer https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/procedur … ls-ojijo-p

Contracting a Civil Marriage - which most foerigners will want (quicker / cheaper / easier if you are different religions, for example) http://ursb.go.ug/services/civil-regist … -marriage/

And then there are the fees!!! http://ursb.go.ug/services/civil-regist … iage-fees/

Re paperwork, my advice is to check and doublecheck.  In Uganda, it is very common for people to forget to list documents that are critical for you to open a bank account /  get a work permit et cetera. Even when you go into a well-known bank and they give you a printed list of requirements, there will always be two or three more requirements that they have forgotten to add to the list!

Again re paperwork, if you are an expat / your partner is an expat, you also need to check with the regulations from your home country. For example,  Uganda requires that British people have a 'certificate of non-impediment to marriage'  even though the UK government says that is not a requirement for countries that are part of the Commonwealth (like UG).  So do check.

Always get a second opinion, and if in doubt about a particular document, make sure you have it with you, just in case it is requested.

I am a Ugandan lady looking forward to be helped and feed me with information of this

" what documents are needed for Dutch man to marry a Ugandan lady?"

It depends on her choice and even the parents.after all.everything is fine

@ajrobinson Uganda girls marige benefit .

There give Uganda nationality

You live Uganda whole lilfe

When Uganda vise free for you

Hi, I'm a ugandan planing to marry a foreigner but I don't know the requaiments, charges and where to go. Could you please help me with some info.

Hi, I really want to know the requirements and procedures of getting married in uganda(civil marriage). Thank you

@anniemak256 Hello and welcome !

Please find details here : https://ursb.go.ug/civil-registration/c … 015%20days).

There is a help line if you need more infos.

All the best

Bhavna